Inor CG1 AAR The Pride of the Foreign Legion

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A summary/overview of my recent Inor CG1 The Pride of the Foreign Legion with me as the German attacker and Curtis Brooks as the French defender. A great experience.

Inor CG1 Day 1
German attack chit – dawn attack

Day 1 Starting Positions
(Note: red lines delineate “sectors” referenced below)

Left (Graveyard) sector: Several squads rambled out of the stream to take the graveyard and pick up the LVP. I thought there might be a nasty surprise, i.e., mines, HIP, but no. They hunkered down unmolested to hold the position until day end.

Mid-sector: Troops slinked out of the woods to capture a couple LVP, but were harassed by several French units in the woodline on the other side of the road (some were dummies). Goal achieved. The village defense appeared too strong to engage.

Woods sector: This is where the ACTION was all game long. The Germans were very powerful and pushed assertively knowing the woods and German numbers made routing easier should breaks occurs. The French really put the hurt on the attackers in the trench area. But eventually the overwhelming numbers and firepower made it risky to stay. In order to not get surrounded and captured (2x CVP), the French withdrew or voluntarily broke (VB). On many occasions French units VBed to safety. Curtis did a masterful job of preserving his troops. He literally VBed more breaks than I generated by IFT attacks on Day 1. When I had an opportunity to generate CVP by moving adjacent to broken units I’d almost always whiff in ADV Fire attempting to double break for CVP.

Day 1 Analysis: I was pleased as I took a lot of ground and a number of LVP to win the scenario, which creates favorable DRMs on a couple refit rolls. The French doled out the punishment from the trenches to slow me down. I was worried early as it was slow going. Though, things became more risky for the French and they decided to pull back. When the French needed to skedaddle, they were successful. I lamented my inability to generate more meaningful CVP, but very happy with the territory won. A redeeming outcome was that I did decently on interdiction which is huge in this game. I found the rules for it to be simple and straight-forward; a very wise choice by the designers.

A couple gaffs, I played my MMG/HMGs (and light mortars) poorly in the first day. Lousy LOS and burdensome to move, especially as the French were falling back almost continuously making them useless in ADV Fire. Plus, My 37Ls were poorly placed, one because I confused the elevation – it had no LOS to anything.

Day 1 Final Positions

====================================================================================

Inor CG1 Day 2
German attack chit (EC: mud!)

Day 2 Starting Positions
(Note: Black “?” = German starting perimeter/Yellow = French)

Left (Graveyard) Sector:
With zero chance of success in the village my only objective was to avoid casualties and perhaps, where it was safe, seek to gently extend my perimeter where possible.

Middle sector:
Very similar mission as the left sector. Though, needed to clear the woodline south of the main road and pick up the LVP there, which I was able to do. Unlike Day 1, the German MGs had far more commanding positions and helped keep the French out of the upper stories of the village buildings which helped me clear that woodline. The MGs were not overly effective, but their presence likely discouraged any French shenanigans.

Woods sector:
Curtis had withdrawn from his Day 1 ending positions to create a straight line of troops ensconced behind wire and some mines. This seemed wise as the salient that formed after Day 1 would have required more troops and created a thinner line. I found myself dealing with a high level of risk across the majority of the woods sector. Making a foray across the wire with heavy firepower (8/12/16+ FP) coming at me could mean FTR/capture should I roll high trying to rout under the wire.

I chose to concentrate my fire on the woods left where an LVP existed and was able to bend the French left with superior firepower, best ML troops and -1 leaders. Another significant area of action was at the opposite side of the woods: UU44 (2LVP) on the far right. It was fairly lightly defended so I figured there were mines. I searched and found them on UU44 and two hexes from it to the northwest. I advanced in and survived to claim ownership.

Day 2 Analysis: Mud! What a complete downer for the attacker. This really slowed my movement in open ground. Infantry moves 2 hexes normal/4 hexes CX. Despite this, am again pleased with German progress to win Day 2. UU44 capture was huge. This hex would certainly be of intense interest on Day 3. The French must buy an attack chit for Day 3 (hoping to set up second and move first). I ended Day 2 fully knowing that the Germans winning Day 1/2 meant nothing when the VP tally is so close. The French held 19 LVP (CVP VP were essentially even) and would need only 2VP on Day 3. Buckle up!!

Day 2 Final Positions

====================================================================================

Inor CG1 Day 3
Dual Assault (drs = French set up first / German move first)

Day 3 Starting Positions
(Note: Black “?” = German perimeter/Yellow = French, Orange counters are no-man’s land)

Pregame activity: I bought a bombardment to hammer the UU44 woods area. This confers a 2MC (3MC if unentrenched in the woods). It was accurate. I believe this broke just about everything in its radius. It generated 5 CVP from CRs on an 8-1, HS + destroying a 75ART.

I am going to recount Day 3 from right to left

Woods sector:

With a number of broken French units sitting in their start positions, I called in a 100mm OBA mission on a pre-reg hex that was accurate. 20-1 FP. This generated 12 CVP on a CH burner on an H39, the ART crew KIA and several double breaks. With UU44 secure and the pre-reg hex able to wreak more havoc should the French attempt a thrust to UU44, the Germans went defensive on the woods right.

Middle sector:

The French started to make moves on the right side of the village street to take back a couple LVPs and rack up some CVP. An 81MTR took a shot at a stack moving in a wood building…1,1. Rubble check…Rubble on L1 and L0. 9-2+2.5 squads eliminated. Next, a French H39 passes its TC and trundles up behind a squad in a foxhole to make something happen (hopefully squads break them in AdvFire and get them to surrender) and stays in motion. Next key move, in the graveyard…

Left (Graveyard) Sector:
My objective here was to hunker down and stay concealed. I also reinforced the stream/bridge hex with troops and a 37L. The French carefully sent forward a couple squads to pressure the graveyard. An H39 had clanked up next to the wall on turn 1 to pick on a concealed squad in a foxhole. On turn 2, he passes his TC and starts. I need a turret hit as it is behind a wall. The German 37L takes a shot on the start: 1,1 CH and is eliminated. At this point, Curtis called it. Germans were ahead by 2 VP with an additional -1 VP added for from the CVP generated in the first two turns. It was crazy. Curtis knew knew he had 14 CVP in interdiction losses and that it would be very difficult to deliver needed 4 VP (the the interdiction losses would grant another -1 VP to the German). With that, the French net VP count was at 17 and the Germans in very well situated defensively to force the French to take risks. 21 are needed for a French victory.

Day 3 Analysis: My dice were radioactive ridiculous -- generating 33 CVP in the first two turns. Three crits with results like I had will make anybody look like Rommel. I banked a lot on protecting and retaining UU44 with a bombardment and the 100mm pre-reg OBA. I had feared Curtis might buy AFV to really cause problems in my backfield and sit on LVP hexes, and he did (3 x H39. 2 x PanPans) – all setup separately, i.e., requiring a TC, at least. The H39s are tough and was extremely worried about them and had to dedicate some troops to cover LVP hexes lest they be recaptured. I bought ZERO infantry on Day 3. Additional purchases were a 75mm OBA pre-reg to protect the LVP on the southern-most hill, 2 x 81MTRs and some fortifications.

Day 3 Final Positions

Overall Analysis: My first ever CG. What a blast! It was so TIGHT going into Day 3. Either side can win this CG. Artillery is huge. The OBs are quite large (~60 squads a side) and as the German I felt like I had a lot to remember and puzzle out. Definitely more for the German to do.

I can’t thank my ASL pal Curtis Brooks enough for a well-played game and a masterful defense. I can say out loud now that it’s over, there were so many occasions where I felt I was completely hosed. The German has a LOT to do. Curtis made me pay and take risks the entire way. Only hot dice Day 3 delivered a German victory.

This CG felt very accessible with three dates and no night. The HASL/CG rules were easy and clearly written. As I mentioned I really like the interdiction rules. It represented the impact artillery had on the battle, but without complication. Whenever I did have a question, Lionel Colin was gracious with prompt responses. To all the LFT guys: Well done, mates! Beers on me! A beautiful package that is well executed and a blast to play. If you remain on the fence about this module, I encourage you to get it before it eventually goes out of print.

Last edited:

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Thanks Houlie, glad you enjoyed the CG. We always tried to keep this in mind : "keep things simple".

And for the beers, we hear you ;)

Cheers,

X

PS: we're currently playtesting some scenarios for the "Inor Player's guide" :)

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thank you for the concise AAR. I need to ask about the Mud. Was it really EC are Mud? If yes, there is no effect on movement. Only Weather is Mud affects movement.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for the concise AAR. I need to ask about the Mud. Was it really EC are Mud? If yes, there is no effect on movement. Only Weather is Mud affects movement.
Just checked the HASL rules: It was "EC is mud" (not weather). Looks like we missed that. Good catch, Michael!

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just checked the HASL rules: It was "EC is mud" (not weather). Looks like we missed that. Good catch, Michael!
Which rules does it reference? If it references E3.6 then the ground conditions (weather) is Mud as well; if it references only B25.5 then only the conditions of EC are implemented. Too many people look at the verbiage and fail to look at the rules references provided to implement the correct conditions. There should be no further verbiage to add if the correct rules are referenced (however for greater clarity I guess one could also say weather is also Mud/Snow/etc. but really not needed) .

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The HASL section is "7.19 Weather and EC Determination". No reference to Chapter E.

The instruction indicates a DR is required for 1. Weather and 2. EC DRM/drm. Mud is only listed in the "EC/DRM column" of the "Weather" chart.

Last edited: