Initial SASL sniper placements?

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Apologies if this I’m missing something obvious, but how are you suppose to make initial placements of the sniper counters in SASL?

How should the ENEMY sniper counter get placed in a mission with no FRIENDLY starting units on the board?

When placing the FRIENDLY sniper counter are S? counters considered units or do you get to place freely as if the board were blank?

I couldn’t seem to find anything in Chapter S and Google failed me as well - so I feel like I’m missing something!

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for replying, I do know about A14.2. I was more asking was there any guidance on where one should place it for the ENEMY. Certainly one could just place it where it would seem in the ENEMY side’s best interests (maybe near VPO locations if the mission has any), but I wondered if there was some SASL specific placement mechanism I was just missing somewhere in the rules.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I searched and couldn't find any mention of placing the ENEMY sniper in Chapter S. I think you choose where to place it, trying to pick a spot that would be the best for the ENEMY.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for giving a look Scott! With more than one person looking and coming to the conclusion the rules don't specify any specific process then I'm happy with "do what's best for the ENEMY."

Thinking about it more, this is probably the most sensible thing really. Coming up with some SASL specific automatic mechanism would be fraught and a lot of rules work of probably little benefit to play. At other times one is directed to pick what is best for the ENEMY and that seems sound for this, especially since the sniper is already subject to further random processes.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would agree. Go with what's best for the enemy. I normally put it near a cluster of buildings likely to be used by the FR forces, or maybe road junctions where they might pass by.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I use a houserule I read once (I'm afraid I can't remember where now or I'd give credit) where you leave the ENEMY sniper counter off table until the 1st time it activates, then place it on the FRIENDLY unit that triggered the sniper attack and roll for 'scatter' as usual.