Inglorious Bastards -- the Quentin Tarantino version

Mark Peachey

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Inglorious Bastards: Kill Bill meets Adolf Hitler

Too soon?

What's somewhat puzzling is this passage:

"There has been anguished debate about whether Hollywood should be allowed to make a film about Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg, the man who tried to blow up Hitler and the closest that the country has to a war hero. The film, starring Tom Cruise, has yet to be screened but Germany’s critics have been sharpening their pens, ready to knock it when it eventually sees the light of day."

Is this not precisely the kind of film that Germans would prefer made, one that showcases the fact that not all Germans during that period were amoral, genocidal sociopaths? Just a thought.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Is this not precisely the kind of film that Germans would prefer made, one that showcases the fact that not all Germans during that period were amoral, genocidal sociopaths? Just a thought.
You would think that wouldn't you, and I'd be inclined to agree HOWEVER, there is a train of thought in Germany that says Von Stauffenberg was a traitor (never you mind who he was trying to kill). After all, the Germans do prize order above all things so oddly enough, Klaus by trying to do what he did broke the code as it were by thinking outside the box (but not blowing up in the Bunker with Der Fuhrer....)

Also, if you look at Von Stauffenbergs motives, he was NOT doing it to end the war, but to get the Wehrmacht back in control of Germany and her moves so that Germany could make a negotiated peace not the fight to the end as Hitler promised or Unconditional Surrender as the Allies wanted.

Just my .02 cents

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

Apparently, only the Germans are allowed to make films about Germany in WWII.

KingNothing12

Reaction score
Country
llRomania

This pretty much sums it up.

[YOUTUBE]tsTtiANgPGg&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

Here is the official trailer.

[YOUTUBE]pel3GE97evA[/YOUTUBE]

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll wait for the new STar Trek movie and the new Transformers movie.

WWII movies do not thrill me much after Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brothers.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Seems kinda corny after watching the trailer. Could be the point of it though with Tarantino. It looks like one of those bad 60s & 70s movies made in Europe.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Seems kinda corny after watching the trailer. Could be the point of it though with Tarantino. It looks like one of those bad 60s & 70s movies made in Europe.
Yeah, I don't know what to make of it either. The Hitler scene looks like it is right out of a Sgt. Fury comic book. The whole thing does, really - the Devil's Brigade shoulder patch, the running with the Browning .30 calibre - the whole thing could be an homage to Jack Kirby, really. A World War II splatter picture. From that perspective, it could be simple entertainment. Never can tell just from the trailer.

Good call.

Of course, if one goes back to actually read Don's link :blush:

It is the whole idea of turning the Second World War into a comic book adventure in which not a single German character has redeeming value.
Perhaps they meant it literally...

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quentin Tarantino has proven himself to be little more than a movie huskter. He peddles gimmicks in place of quality. I have no interest in any film he is helming.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right after I wrote the above, I came across this article:

'Bastards' Boasts Buckets of Blood

"In my time on the set -- I feel I can say with confidence, that I witnessed the brutal deaths of over a 100 Nazis. It was glorious," movie critic Harry Knowles wrote in a posting on the Ain't It Cool News Web site. "A (expletive)load of Nazis dying. Seriously. If you thought Nazis died in 'The Dirty Dozen' ... brother, you ain't seen nothing yet."
So...the huckster is basically repackaging Kill Bill as a WWII flick. :icon_bs:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw it also and I enjoyed it quite a lot. I agree with KingNothing12 and it kept me interested throughout the film (from beginning to end). Christopher Waltz was great as Col. Hans Landa!

Col. Hans Landa: May I smoke my pipe as well?
Perrier LaPadite: Please, Cononel, make yourself at home.
[Hans pulls out a very large pipe five times the size of Perrier's]

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Saw it yesterday. My favorite was whole "italian disguise" scene, it made me lmfao, and Brad Pitt was so Marlon Brando at that moment :laugh: