Infinite smoke for British tanks

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
There are some British tanks that are listed as having Multi-Applicable Note S e.g.
  • British Centaur IV (Note 18): MA 95*
  • Cromwell VI & VIII (Note 20): MA 95*
but there is nothing in that note that is relevant to them:
The 94* can fire only Smoke - not HE or AP. Smoke fired by the 94* or 76* is not subject to C8.9 Depletion, as signified by "(inf) Smoke" on the counter [EXC: the 76* of the Tetrarch CS, Matilda II CS and the Churchill I has s9 and non-depletable HE when used in a scenario set after 10/43; increase their BPV by 10 points for such use]. The 76* and 94* have a maximum range of 50 hexes - as signified by "[50]" on the counter. The 94* is not considered functioning ordnance for OVR purposes (D7.11) nor is the 76* if it has depleted its HE. On the Churchill I, only the 76* SA may fire Smoke and HE.

In an armoured regiment or tank battalion equipped with British-built tanks, the HQ of each squadron officially contained two CS tanks. Many of the early CS models could fire only smoke. Other types, which could fire HE, usually carried only a small amount of it in accordance with British tank doctrine. The later versions carried more HE and less Smoke.
The 2nd paragraph of the note gives some historical information about CS tanks, and while Note 20 describes the Cromwell VI/VIII's as CS tanks, the Centaur isn't. Is this what's going on, the Centaur is a CS tank?

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
See multi application note S.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Centaur has a 95* not a 94*. It does not have an unlimited supply of smoke although it has more than some other tanks with its s9, sM8 and sD7

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
the Centaur is a CS tank?
Look at their historical employment for a better understanding. They were issued to the Royal Marines Armoured Support Group for D-Day in Normandy, and their role was just that - close support of the infantry, specifically dealing with German fortifications and bunkers.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
They were issued to the Royal Marines Armoured Support Group for D-Day in Normandy, and their role was just that - close support of the infantry, specifically dealing with German fortifications and bunkers.
Cool, thanks.

I realized what the problem was as soon as I clicked "post" :-/ I got thrown by both those tanks not having "CS" in their names.