Infantry OVR vs ALL MF terrain

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If a unit wants to make an Infantry OVR in terrain that requires ALL MF (e.g. marsh), would the cost be twice ALL, requiring a Minimum Move? Would the OVR-ing unit be CX and Pinned prior to the resolution of the CC?

JR

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
A4.134: If the entry cost of a hex is defined as "all" of a unit's MF and there is still yet another cost to be paid beyond that, a Minimum Move can still be made.

A4.15: An Infantry MMC may enter in the MPh a Location containing only one Known enemy SMC (unless that SMC occupies an AFV) at double the normal MF cost provided it has passed a NTC to enable it to enter the Location [EXC: Berserk A15.432].

B16.4: Entry of a marsh hex from a lower elevation is a Minimum Move (A4.134).

I'd say it's a Minimum Move.

A4.134: After a unit has entered a hex by Minimum Move and undergone all First Fire, all survivors become both pinned and CX (even if CX previously).

And I'd say the CX & Pin comes after the Infantry OVR, as all MF are expended simultaneously and that increased MF expenditure represents the Infantry OVR occurring. (E.g., the MF wouldn't be increased if there weren't an Infantry OVR occurring.)

But seriously, JR, you're asking us? :)

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For me 2*ALL=ALL so no extra penalty

The reason for that is that infantry OVR rules were created to prevent SMC from blocking critical hexes. The imposition of minimum move penalties would go against that general objective.

A Q&A would be necessary however, because the other reasoning on the issue is not invalid.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For me 2*ALL=ALL so no extra penalty
If this would be the case, what sense would the quoted rule make?

A4.134: If the entry cost of a hex is defined as "all" of a unit's MF and there is still yet another cost to be paid beyond that, a Minimum Move can still be made.

:hmmm:
von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

:hmmm:
von Marwitz
Do you want to be CX and PIN against a Japanese SMC in Bamboo/Swamp? I don't, but hey that's only me :cool:

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you advance onto a SMC, becoming CX in the process then you are CX in the CC.

I would think that if you Minimum Move to Infantry OVR a SMC, you should be CX and Pinned in the ensuing CC.

I agree with George that versus a sword wielding Jpn SMC this is very dangerous. So if you see such a Samurai standing on a hill in Swamp, just blow him a kiss and choose another route.

Rich

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Entering a marsh hex across a wall, e.g.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States

A4.15: An Infantry MMC may enter in the MPh a Location containing only one Known enemy SMC (unless that SMC occupies an AFV) at double the normal MF cost provided it has passed a NTC to enable it to enter the Location [EXC: Berserk A15.432].
I think you're overthinking it: 2 x (All MF) = All MF + All MF.

An MMC has 4 MF: so 2 x 4 MF = 4 MF + 4 MF = 8 MF, which is more than All MF (that is, 4 MF), so it's a Minimum Move.

Or is someone arguing that "All + 1 MF > 2 x All" (assuming All is > 1 MF)?

Let's be careful here, we may be edging out onto a slippery slope . . .
http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000002847155/verbatim-what-is-a-photocopier.html

:D

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
All is not "infinite".
ALL is always equal to a finite number of MF.
So ALL *ALL would be ALL squared - which makes complicated the entry of a hexagon. :p

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The doubling of the cost of entry is a further increase in the MF cost this the minimum move will be required.