Indirect Fire vs. Non-LOS Target

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Citizens:

Can I fire my Mortar against Units to which I have no LOS?

For example, if I can see the Rooftop (only) of a Building and there are no Units on that Rooftop, can I still fire at that Rooftop in the hope of causing damage to Units in the same hex (that I can't see)?

If so, what (if any) would the relevant modifiers be?

Thanks in Advance,

Commissar

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A MTR will hit out-of-LOS targets only if it hits the hardest-to-hit-non-HIP-in-LOS target. If there are no in-LOS targets, out-of-LOS targets may not be hit.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Wasn't there the EXC of White Phosperous mentioned lately?

True, it does not exactly 'attack' units out of LOS but causes a WP Morale Check instead. But maybe this was applicable to units being out of LOS in a Gully.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Wasn't there the EXC of White Phosperous mentioned lately?

True, it does not exactly 'attack' units out of LOS but causes a WP Morale Check instead. But maybe this was applicable to units being out of LOS in a Gully.
WP also causes a WP NMC when it is placed in a location, whether it hit the location or not.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, since the building itself is a valid target (C3.41), you may fire HE at the building utilizing the ITT or ATT applying a +2 TH DRM (why or where that is located in the rules I don't know, but there's a Q&A to that effect) to hit the building location and then potentially cause rubble with all of it resultant possible effects. Now I don't think if by applying the +2 TH DRM it would also allow you to hit an otherwise unseen unit (i.e. not HIP in the seen location being fired upon) but I would assume not as C3.4 precludes hitting units out of the firer's (or as assumed spotter's) LOS [EXC: as noted above for WP].

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In order to hit an out-of-LOS unit, you have to hit a non-HIP-in-LOS enemy target. Hitting the building is not enough [C3.33]. You don't need a MTR to eliminate an out-of-LOS unit with rubble. Any attack that causes (falling) rubble can do the same, MTR or not.

JR

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, since the building itself is a valid target (C3.41), you may fire HE at the building utilizing the ITT or ATT applying a +2 TH DRM (why or where that is located in the rules I don't know, but there's a Q&A to that effect) to hit the building location and then potentially cause rubble with all of it resultant possible effects. Now I don't think if by applying the +2 TH DRM it would also allow you to hit an otherwise unseen unit (i.e. not HIP in the seen location being fired upon) but I would assume not as C3.4 precludes hitting units out of the firer's (or as assumed spotter's) LOS [EXC: as noted above for WP].
Mortars only fire on the ATT.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys - thx also for the rules reference, jrv. Was having a hard time finding it for some reason . . .