Index: Known Enemy Unit

UXB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a recent game, my broken squad was ADJACENT to a GO enemy squad.
I claimed I could rout away to the ADJACENT building hex even though
that hex was in LOS to an enemy squad since at the instant that I
chose the rout path, that 2nd emeny was not a KEU since my router didn't
have LOS to it. My opponent disagreed since the KEU definition said currently which to him implied anytime during the player turn.
(The 467 Assault Moved from 1X3 to 1Y4 )

I claim the broken unit in 1W4 can rout to either 1X3 or 1X4 since
at the instant it has to rout the squad in 1Y4 is not a KEU.

from 1X3 it can rout to 1X2
from 1X4 it can rout to 1X5

(Factories are NOT in effect)

Known Enemy Unit (any unconcealed, non-prisoner enemy unit- even one which is broken or in Melee- which the unit in question currently has a LOS to): A12.11

any guidance?

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Besides A12.11, point your opponent to the first sentence of A10.51. It's clear the EU must be in the routing unit's LOS; otherwise you may rout toward the enemy unit.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
NRBH and I see your points. I am wondering though because if he routes to X3, he will be ADJACENT to an enemy. Is that allowed? Are you allowed to route and during your route pass through a hex ADJACENT to an ennemy?

da priest

Reaction score
JGilbert said:
NRBH and I see your points. I am wondering though because if he routes to X3, he will be ADJACENT to an enemy. Is that allowed? Are you allowed to route and during your route pass through a hex ADJACENT to an ennemy?
See Ex at A10.5. Shows this happening.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The key point is that the routing unit didn't know he was ADJACENT to an EU until he got there. This is different from the more common reason for surrender/elimination when the routing unit can only move from a Location that is ADJACENT to a KEU to another Location that is ADJACENT to the same KEU. You can't slide around the same KEU but you can go from one KEU towards an unknown EU. You can't stop there, of course.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To follow up on zgrose's point, remember that you get 6MFs with which to rout so if you rout ADJACENT to an EU and don't have enough MF to continue away, you are eliminated for FTR.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Alan, did you check my post on routing from woods to OG to a building? What did you think about that situation?

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The answer you got (forget who it was) that pointed out that the rule states you "may ignore the building you start the RtPh in as the closest building" but that this rule doesn't mention "woods" is spot-on. You can't ignore either of those first woods hexes you rout to; if it were a three-hex building, you could. Don't know why and it doesn't really matter: it's what the rules say.

We need to pay attention to which words are used in the rules--and which words aren't. Chances are the rule-writer thought long and hard about each comma, let alone each word. . .

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Rowhouses

In this context it is also worthwhile to remember B23.71. Each rowhouse hex is a seperate building for Rout purposes. A unit might not be able to leave a string of connected rowhouse hexes by rout.