indestructable French rail

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
The game was originally designed using the old engine which had very limited Events, so we got round it by 'saving' some things into the scenario itself (this was a clever trick by Ulver) - rail repair was one of the things we could do it with.

Then TOAW III came along and the conversion was made, and we never went right back into it and redid it properly.

So I think you're right, there isn't actually an Event called automatic repair, but - as ruefully noted earlier by MacGregor, it's in there all right.

Thanks Mark

I was starting doubting myself... :crosseye:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Just that we don't misunderstand - you order the rail repair unit to 'repair railroad' and the railroad is then immediately repaired while the rail repair unit's movement points are reduced to 0. You hear the 'clack clack' sound, the info panel at the bottom of the map screen shows 'railroad' (and not 'railroad damaged') when you hover the mouse over it?
Then, next turn, the rail in that same hex is again destroyed?

If you can answer all this confidently with JA then observe it closely weiterhin. Seems odd, maybe a bug?
I'll observe it. (I don't hear any sounds because I play TOAW with the speakers off. Combat sounds drive my wife crazy. She tolerates American Civil War music though. :) )

Lou

Event Engineer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Version 1.8 I AUTOMATIC rail repair status

Axis=1
Allies=0

Current version III c is the same.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to set Rail Repair=0 with new events.

As time permits, I could provide a clean map, where the event would not have to be reset,
but with the open events there is no real need for it.
--

As is the case here, one of the problems with COW (and all earlier versions) is that
maps from saved games files brought their settings with them.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Version 1.8 I AUTOMATIC rail repair status

Axis=1
Allies=0

Current version III c is the same.

The easiest way to fix the problem is to set Rail Repair=0 with new events.

As time permits, I could provide a clean map, where the event would not have to be reset,
but with the open events there is no real need for it.
--

As is the case here, one of the problems with COW (and all earlier versions) is that
maps from saved games files brought their settings with them.
I already played this scenario several times - either side and once until turn 350 - and never found problems.

I think this scenario on its current version is "mature" and any changes (allowed by the extra events) should be very carefull.

IMHO at this point Europe Aflame is a pearl.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Now i'm noticing that the bridge I destroyed has been magically repaired, WHILE MY UNIT IS OCCUPYING IT! So much for trying to impede reinforcements by rail in France. 60,000 Italians...:ciao: Ralph?
Forgive me if I am pointing out something that someone else has already answered, but if your unit is in the hex, and the rail is repaired, then it is now AXIS rail, not Allied; and if he takes the hex back from you, your opponent will not have use of the rails until such time as his side repairs it.

B-snafu

Reaction score
After reading this --I can't now remember if it was EA or a different scenario but I remember thinking it odd at the time.....

I want to say that when I had a RR repair engineer fix a "rail" in the hex---I heard the "click-clak" and the rail repaired but then also noticed the damaged bridge fixed also.-----But from what the more Knowledgable state-that can't happen-or can it. If not in Ea--is that possible in other scenarios with the TOAW engine. Or it might of been the other way around--I clicked on "bridge repair" & it also repaired the railway at the same time. I thought it was in one of my EA games but Dang:( now it's going to make me go :nuts: trying to remember where I saw it.

(BTW to Mark & the other designers who had a hand in EA--I also think it's a good set up with the repair setting you have. As earlier said-don't have to manage large numbers of RR bats but also have a few to "speed" the process along in the areas I want to concentrate my push.)