Increasing Traffic?

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Guys,

How can we go about getting more people into the section and playing games, discussing things, etc?

Ideas and comments are welcome!

antonius

Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi Rich,
Well a post in the ACWGC forum mentioned an interesting balanced scenario (by you incidentally) that was in the downloads section here, so as I had to register to download it, I thought I may as well have a look around the forum and say hello. That is one way of getting more people in ;)

bschulte

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rich,

Hopefully my ACW Gaming blog will get you guys some more exposure as well. Anybody going there will have a link here from the main page.

rahamy

Reaction score
antonius said:
Hi Rich,
Well a post in the ACWGC forum mentioned an interesting balanced scenario (by you incidentally) that was in the downloads section here, so as I had to register to download it, I thought I may as well have a look around the forum and say hello. That is one way of getting more people in ;)
Hey Antony,

Great! BTW, many people here are also at the ACWGC, so feel free to stick around...there's nothing preventing the registraion of games at both points! :)

rahamy

Reaction score
bschulte said:
Rich,

Hopefully my ACW Gaming blog will get you guys some more exposure as well. Anybody going there will have a link here from the main page.
Thanks Brent...hope your Blog takes off tooo! :cool:

Doc Ozzie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The entire ACWGC just seems a scattered organization. From home page to Union Rebel pages then three or four different forums you have to register on. What a mess!

And, to be honest, I rarely check the forums to the ACWGC. (just me) What if we made a forum directory for each Side with their perspective section for each Army and organization that is Password Protected? ... Maybe trying to get some converts to use this more popular forum as the central hub that can contain all the branches? The activity would definately boost other interested arm chair gamers to play these systems when they see the games, MP, information, activity etc.

Initially, we can have a sticky for a web link to each organized unit?

Just my 2 cents.

rahamy

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

We've already appraoched the ACWGC with the proposal of a merger and it was rejected, so that's not an option...

Really, while it's fine for people to belong to both organizations, we want to find ways to get new people into the hobby. Guys who have just been playing the AI, or people that haven't even discovered the games yet.

I've been putting out feelers onto various boards and such, but so far not too many bites. If people can talk about the games in any of their civil war settings then that may help. I.E. reenactors, history enthusiast, etc. Heck, it might even help if a few guys went up into the general ACW forums here and talked about the games...I just made a post there the other day! :)

Regards,
Rich

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
rahamy said:
We want to find ways to get new people into the hobby. Guys who have just been playing the AI, or people that haven't even discovered the games yet.
I think that one of the best ways to find new players are good After Action Reports, especially with pictures. They can show what exactly is going on it this games. I for example, decided to buy HPS games, mostly because of 'Game Spotlight' on Rich Hamilton's old website. They contained general information about game and pictures. But good AAR's can be even better than this.
We have special room fot this here, but so far only four AAR appeared. English isn't my native language so I'm not writing my own AAR (it would be a comedy of grammar errors :laugh: ) but have nothing against if my opponent wrote it.

rahamy said:
I've been putting out feelers onto various boards and such, but so far not too many bites. If people can talk about the games in any of their civil war settings then that may help. I.E. reenactors, history enthusiast, etc. Heck, it might even help if a few guys went up into the general ACW forums here and talked about the games...I just made a post there the other day!
Exactly. At least I'm doing what is in my power... Old Battleground games were published here in Poland and really many people liked and played them. I guess that at least better part of Old Guard didn't heard about HPS games. We are running here an ACW gazzette and in March owner allowed me to wrote few words about ACW computer games. Take a look guys, and if you don't understand something :laugh: JUST ASK!!

http://klub.chip.pl/zbigstar/games_1a.html

rahamy said:
We've already appraoched the ACWGC with the proposal of a merger and it was rejected, so that's not an option...
Too bad that 'generals' didn't wanted to come here... But who know, maybe once... Anyway salute to Mark Nelms and Rich Hamilton as they are playing here with us, non-acwgc members :toast:

Regards,
Alex, Young Guard :laugh:

Last edited:

rahamy

Reaction score
Good deal on that article Alex...hope that stirred some interest!

And yes, a well written AAR or article by someone who is enthusiastic about the games can go a long way to getting some interest rolling with others.

Anyone up for writting some AAR's? :D

Reiryc

Reaction score
rahamy said:
Guys,

How can we go about getting more people into the section and playing games, discussing things, etc?

Ideas and comments are welcome!
Need to expand the section to beyond just hps games. I realize, given your position as a game designer with hps, this may not be too popular.

I think/thought this was about the napoleonic section as well. Crown of Glory from matrix should be discussed in there as well as Empires in Arms. Madminute game's bull run is another title that would be a welcome addition to discuss around here imo.

Instead of a game section to discuss hps' games, this should be a section to discuss civil war games and advertised as such. If you'll notice, the wargamer, which also has an hps section, doesn't get much foot traffic either.

Think of this idea not as a removal of hps games, but as an addition of games/topics about the same time period.

rahamy

Reaction score
People have always been able to discuss other ACW games here, and really anything ACW related. We just don't offer support in WARS for any other games at this time. And that's not saying we never will either, just that the Tiller titles (Both from HPS & Talonsoft) are the most numberous, stable and poular around for this style of gaming. I'm sure there's board games that have a larger following though.

If a given title can be found to be compatible with the WARS system's setup, and there's popular support for it, then it could certainly be added. I don't see how a real-time games like the Sid Meyer's Gettysburg/Antietam games could fit though.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rahamy said:
.. a real-time games like the Sid Meyer's Gettysburg/Antietam games...
WARS does support real-time games. :) However, in the past, our philoshopy is that a forum is geared towards a specific game and not a certain time period. For example, we have the TOAW forum that supports the game. The game itself has scenarios from ancient times to modern hypothetical battles to a War of the Rings scenario. The idea is to help players who play the same game have a place to discuss the game. That doesn't exclude changing that paradigm in the future. :)