Increasing LOS Level Height

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First off, thanks to all those who have worked so hard on VASL. Cannot say enough how much that hard work is appreciated and how good the module looks - compared to every other VASSAL module I have seen, you guys set high standards!

In recent versions I have been unable to get the height of the target or firing hex to increase/decrease (ie. for multistory buildings, ect.). Per the help tool, and what worked for me before, you would press the up and down keys. But that doesnt seem to be working anymore and all that happens when I press the UP and DOWN keys is the map scrolls up and down.

Am I missing something? Is this a keyboard setting on my end?

Thanks in advance

Chad

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heres the instructions straight from the help menu:

Up arrow the target location up.
Down arrow the target location down.
Ctrl+up arrow source location up.
Ctrl+down arrow source location up

Is this working for anyone? Or am I just doing something wrong? Again, when I push the 'up arrow' the map scrolls up and down - regardless of whether or not I press CTRL or if the LOS tool is open or closed.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not having read the instructions, I have always use the arrow keys to scroll the map up/down/left/right.

Instructions and documentation are notorious for being out of date and/or just plain wrong in a myriad situations, including things one has paid for. Not surprised something free like VASL has a glitch or two in the documentation.

What I would try:
Ctrl+left arrow?,
Ctrl+right arrow?
Alt+arrow(s)?

Edit: Just tried it, Alt+up/down arrow changes level of target hex.

Last edited:

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not having read the instructions, I have always use the arrow keys to scroll the map up/down/left/right.

Instructions and documentation are notorious for being out of date and/or just plain wrong in a myriad situations, including things one has paid for. Not surprised something free like VASL has a glitch or two in the documentation.

What I would try:
Ctrl+left arrow?,
Ctrl+right arrow?
Alt+arrow(s)?

Edit: Just tried it, Alt+up/down arrow changes level of target hex.
Then somethings wrong on my end - just tried with ALT+UP ARROW and it still just scrolls. Is anyone else having this issue? May need to try a different keyboard.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think there’s a VASL preference that allows map scrolling with the arrows. Uncheck that to see if it helps.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I think there’s a VASL preference that allows map scrolling with the arrows. Uncheck that to see if it helps.
There is a preference to "Use Arrow Keys to scroll?" that is NOT checked in my case.

Not sure how it comes at installation but I do not recall unchecking it?

Also, not sure if this has any bearing, but I get an error message *EVERY TIME* I fire up VASL. Usually within the first one-two clicks on the map. I just ignore it, ("Don't send error report") and everything seems the same and functional with no more error messages.

Last edited:

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, not sure if this has any bearing, but I get an error message *EVERY TIME* I fire up VASL. Usually within the first one-two clicks on the map. I just ignore it, ("Don't send error report") and everything seems the same and functional with no more error messages.
Post your error log. This is something we should look at.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Post your error log. This is something we should look at.
I have tried on numerous occasions. Keeps getting and error on the attempt....gave up eventually. Tried posting it to a site address that was given me and I needed a login/password that I did not feel like setting up yet one more account?

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you dump the error text into a post? You should be able to select all the text in the error dialog box and copy it.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is the offending error. It alludes to a problem with a board.

2018-03-12 08:52:29,543 [17-AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR VASSAL.tools.ErrorDialog -
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: VASSAL.build.module.Map.getFullLocationName(Ljava/awt/Point;Z)Ljava/lang/String;
at furutech.PickLocationName.PickLocationNameListener.mouseClicked(PickLocationNameListener.java:63) ~[na:na]
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseClicked(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.8.0_161]

I also see these errors:
2018-03-05 13:44:51,271 [42-main] INFO VASSAL.tools.image.tilecache.ZipFileImageTiler - Starting
2018-03-05 13:44:51,371 [42-main] INFO VASSAL.tools.image.tilecache.FileArchiveImageTiler - Tiling bdKR.gif
2018-03-05 13:44:52,145 [42-main] INFO VASSAL.tools.image.tilecache.ZipFileImageTiler - Exiting
2018-03-05 13:44:52,215 [9-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASL.build.module.map.boardArchive.BoardArchive - Unable to read the board metadata in board archive bdKR
2018-03-05 13:44:52,217 [9-AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN VASSAL.tools.logging.LoggedOutputStream - [Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.

Remove the KR board from your boards folder and see if that fixes it. If not point to an empty boards folder and see if it stops.

BTW you also have some duplicate extensions:

2018-03-05 13:44:26,421 [9-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.build.module.ExtensionsLoader - Extension Id for SniperFinder.mdx (79f) conflicts with previously loaded extension C:\Users\Jazz\Documents\ASL\vasl\extensions\sniper-finder.vmdx
2018-03-05 13:44:26,101 [9-AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO VASSAL.build.module.ExtensionsLoader - Extension Id for festung-budapest-1.2.vmdx (534) conflicts with previously loaded extension C:\Users\Jazz\Documents\ASL\vasl\extensions\FB.mdx

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Heres the instructions straight from the help menu:

Up arrow the target location up.
Down arrow the target location down.
Ctrl+up arrow source location up.
Ctrl+down arrow source location up

Is this working for anyone? Or am I just doing something wrong? Again, when I push the 'up arrow' the map scrolls up and down - regardless of whether or not I press CTRL or if the LOS tool is open or closed.
Are you using a Windows machine or a Mac? These instructions do not work on my Mac. Ctrl+UpArrow actually is read by the OS to do something.

Last edited:

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And that indeed did the trick - as I suspected it was something on my end. I needed to uncheck the map scroll for the up/down arrows.

Just incase someone searches this: up/down changes the target elevation, and CTRL up/down changes the firing location elevation.

Thanks again for the help everyone. And again, thanks for all the hard work on VASL!

Chad

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
And that indeed did the trick - as I suspected it was something on my end. I needed to uncheck the map scroll for the up/down arrows.

Just incase someone searches this: up/down changes the target elevation, and CTRL up/down changes the firing location elevation.

Thanks again for the help everyone. And again, thanks for all the hard work on VASL!

Chad
Interesting......I have that box un-checked and up/down arrow scrolls the map, Ctrl+up/down arrow change level of target, Alt+up/down arrow change level of firing unit.

Go figure.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This feature is not working on my Mac. I have unchecked "arrow keys scroll map" and restarted. Ctrl+UpArrow, Alt+UpArrow and Command+UpArrow do nothing. What feedback does VASL give to tell you it is changing the LOS height of the firer/target?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
You need to turn off Mission Control (or change the default keystrokes) intercepting your arrows for a shot at getting it to work fully.

Also, you need to string into a hex that is marked as having vertical locations.

If you do these things you can see the Level text appear.

-z

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 11.30.31 AM.png

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yep, re-assigning the Mission Control hot-keys did the trick.