incorrect value for a leader sent to the casualty bin

Simon62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

we sent a Russian 9-2 leader to the casualty bin and it only recorded as 2 VP. I think it should be 3 (1 for the leader and 1 for each negative modifier)

Regards

Simon

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It should be 3 CVP. I tested with VASSAL 3.5.8 and VASL 6.6.3 and it was 3, the correct value. What versions were you using?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Was the leader wounded and would that make a difference?

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
No, it wouldn't matter. A26.211 says "a wounded leader is worth full VP as if unwounded" (unless Japanese).
The Rulebook doesn't calculate the VP...MAYBE VASL treats them differntly.
Just as you can't FLIP a wreck in VASL but can FtF.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rather than speculating, that's trivial to test:
*Axis CVP: 0
<Scott Romanowski> - send 9-2 to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 3
<Scott Romanowski> - send wounded 9-2 (marked with pop-up menu) to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 6
<Scott Romanowski> - Send 9-2 with wound counter to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 9
<Scott Romanowski> - send wounded 9-2 (marked with pop-up menu) and wound counter to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 12

I get the same CVP results if I drag the counters to the CB instead of right clicking and using the menu. However, dragging a "wound" counter to the casualty bin gives this message:
* Wounded, 9-2 moves H4 -> Axis Casualties *
- Bad Data in Module: Numeric field contains a non-number Increment AxisCVP: format={((PieceName.contains("?")) ? 0 : (iCVP))}, value=

but the CVP is correct.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I"d update your version...
No issues here with VP

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you attach larger screenshots? I tried to view and download both, but they each are only about 175 by 160 pixels, and unreadable.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I cannot reproduce this error either. What might have happened is that somehow you reset the CVP of the 9-2 leader during play. There is a menu/key option that lets you do that. You make it 12 you can make it 0; you change change it however you need to - useful when SSR assign specific VP values to units. Perhaps you triggered that without noticing it. A simple CTRL-SHIFT-V would do it.

If you can continue to produce the error, let us know.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Rather than speculating, that's trivial to test:
*Axis CVP: 0
<Scott Romanowski> - send 9-2 to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 3
<Scott Romanowski> - send wounded 9-2 (marked with pop-up menu) to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 6
<Scott Romanowski> - Send 9-2 with wound counter to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 9
<Scott Romanowski> - send wounded 9-2 (marked with pop-up menu) and wound counter to casualty bin
*Axis CVP: 12

I get the same CVP results if I drag the counters to the CB instead of right clicking and using the menu. However, dragging a "wound" counter to the casualty bin gives this message:
* Wounded, 9-2 moves H4 -> Axis Casualties *
- Bad Data in Module: Numeric field contains a non-number Increment AxisCVP: format={((PieceName.contains("?")) ? 0 : (iCVP))}, value=

but the CVP is correct.
The cause of the Bad Data in Module message is the wound counter itself. They, along with other info counters, don’t have the cas bin functionality added to them and so produce this message. The message is just an info message; no error has occurred and vasl will continue to work.

I will flag this as a bug. It would seem simple to fix but I am not sure it will be.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it might be a low priority bug. I think the only reason to drag counters to the CasBin rather than right clicking is to position the counters in the CasBin in one step, rather than moving them after they've arrived.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We have bugs on the list that date from 2014 so just because it is on the list doesn't mean it will attention any time soon! LOL.

As one of my bosses used to say, "I can promise all assistance short of actual help."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think it might be a low priority bug. I think the only reason to drag counters to the CasBin rather than right clicking is to position the counters in the CasBin in one step, rather than moving them after they've arrived.
If the cause of the issue would be a Wound Counter and the issue would not come up by marking the SMC wounded by context menu (i.e. on the SMC counter itself), then this bug could be easily avoided - and some counter clutter along with it.

Personally, I never use dedicated Wound Counters as the the VASL function of adding the Wound depiction on the SMC counter itself is much better.

I don't know, however, if an issue might arise in another context - I am thinking of 'Walking Wounded' in some CGs. I am not familiar with the rules for those and if they would affect CVP issues. In any case there is no context-menu option to mark MMC as 'Walking Wounded' on their counter itself. As 'Walking Wounded' come only in very rare cases, there is probably no need for that anyway.

von Marwitz

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had expected that, since the Wound counter produced a Bad Data in Module message when dragged to the Casbin, every white info counter would do the same. Just did some testing and this is not the case. In fact the only counters that I have found that produce such a message are the Wound and Walking Wounded counters.

I don't know why this is the case but the good news is that it is easy to fix the behaviour of a couple or three counters and I will do that in 6.6.4.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wound, Walking Wounded, Encircled, Upper Level Encircled and Low Ammo counters will no longer produce Bad Data in Module message when added to the Cas Bin in VASL6.6.4. Let me know if there any other counters which generate the Bad Data message.

Then let me know why these counters are ending up in the Cas Bin? LOL!