Incarna 1.0

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So...anybody give it a shot yet?

RPS had this to say about the new currency system:

The vanity items appear to have been comically overpriced. If you’re buying PLEX directly from CCP and you convert it to enough to buy an in-game shirt, you’ll have paid the equivalent of $25. In other words, as much or more than you’d pay for a real-life shirt.

A rather natty cyber-monocle – again, purely a vanity item – will set you back approximately $70. A skirt is a relative snip at the equivalent of $20. These are some pretty darned expensive pretend clothes. There’s probably some awful joke here about how Eve players spend so much time at their PCs they don’t actually need real clothes, but that would be a horrific stereotype that I couldn’t possibly imply.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOTRO also has surprisingly high prices on vanity items. $20 real-world money for a pretty horse (that doesn't do anything to your transportation that a free horse does not).

I predict this business model will fail and then they blame the users for it somehow :)

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
A lot of users are complaining that Captain's Quarters is essentially breaking the game with ruinous hardware requirements. I tested it on my own PC which is very powerful and it ran perfectly. The Captain's Quarters look good and it's nice to finally see my character in-game for once, however, there's doesn't seem to be much point to the whole thing. At this point "Incarna" amounts to nothing more than a live beta test for CCP's upcoming vampire MMO, which uses the same engine as Incarna.

As long as you've got the hardware, Incarna doesn't seem to hurt anything (although it may make it a bit more difficult to play station docking games). Far more of a concern is the direction CCP appears to be heading with microtransactions. They've said all along -- and confirmed during discussions with the CSM -- that microtransactions will not affect EVE's in-game experience in any way save for vanity items. At least that's what they've been claiming. The purported leak of internal CCP documents may paint a different picture.

I can confirm the first batch of vanity items are ridiculously overpriced. Seriously, an eye monocle costs more than a T2-fitted carrier?

There's already a movement afoot to publicly list the names of any character known to be wearing vanity items in order to grief these players out of the game for supporting the "destruction of EVE Online" via microtransactions and f2p.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I gave EVE a shot back in Sept (quit after a few months) & rumors of micro-transactions came up I told my son they'd soon be selling "game enhancers" in a store.
He said it would never happen because the players would revolt if they did.

Seems we both were right...

My son gave up on EVE a few months ago which shocked me considering he was thriving in 0.0 and a big time raider/miner in his clan.