In your experience what is the most prolific tank killer in ASL?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
This has turned out to have some replies that I had not expected but find quite interesting and insightful. Those are the ones that don't deal with a weapon but more or less how the AFV is used or rather misused. Very nice. Have to agree that HIP ATG is a killer but will stick with Panzerfaust or infantry with a SCW, especially late war in the ETO. Thanks to all of you who responded. It gives Captain Bacchus and I plenty to talk about.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would have to say, the 88mm AA and AT Gun, especially in North Africa. They claimed many many British and American tanks. if dug in they could pick off allied tanks at almost their max range. In France, they won the battle at Sedan ,by mauling the French and Britsh armor

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The video that Wrongway shared seemed to indicate a relatively small kill percentage for Panzerfausts. Have to watch it again.
Although this might not be representative depending on the time the statistics were gathered, January to April of 44. What actions were taking place and did these actions allow the Panzerfaust range to be effective?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The video that Wrongway shared seemed to indicate a relatively small kill percentage for Panzerfausts. Have to watch it again.
Pretty sure the figures included the misses and just not only the actual impacts upon enemy armor as the the efficiency of its kill potential once a hit had been obtained.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Pretty sure the figures included the misses and just not only the actual impacts upon enemy armor as the the efficiency of its kill potential once a hit had been obtained.
Have to watch it again. Deborah and I loved the narrator's accent.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
He gave 5% production losses. Logically not all of the remaining 95% were used against the enemy. Combat losses had to be significant. Still an interesting video.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
A number of studies have been done on ammunition expenditure and kills by many of the combatants. What stands out is just how many rounds it might take to score a kill at ranges beyond about 500 yds in WWII. The gunsights were simply not that powerful (good German sights were only about 2.5 x in most early and mid-war tanks (if memory serves). The stats given for AP shot in the video are illuminating.

The PF miss rate is not surprising considering it was basically lobbing a huge grenade out to about 60-100 meters. An experienced user, shooting at stationary tank, without being shot at himself, might score a hit with one or two shots but I wouldn't expect much if the tank was moving or the environment was "hectic".

Last edited: