In-season Orchard-Road

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
14.6 ORCHARD ROAD: A hex containing both orchard and road symbols (such as 23Q8) is actually a tree-lined road. Entrance of such a hex through a road hexside is identical to movement along any road. Hindrance rules do not apply to such hexes if that portion of the LOS from firer to target within those hexes never leaves the confines of the road depiction regardless of the relative elevation of the firer/target; in such cases, the -1 FFMO DRM applies to Infantry using the road to move. Otherwise, orchard roads are identical to orchards in every respect.
From B14.6, it looks like Orchard Roads only suspend the Hindrance part when LOS is drawn along the road, so a LOS from a different level would still be blocked by the Orchard even if drawn right along the road part?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
From B14.6, it looks like Orchard Roads only suspend the Hindrance part when LOS is drawn along the road, so a LOS from a different level would still be blocked by the Orchard even if drawn right along the road part?
Interesting (!) ...and surely true (makes perfect sense given the nature of these trees).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B14.2 kicks in regardless of a road also existing at the ground level of the location as the road only mentions negating the effects of the hindrance (B14.6) and not the effects of the obstacle.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think it blocks different level LOS down the road, it says 'regardless of relative elevation ...'

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think it blocks different level LOS down the road, it says 'regardless of relative elevation ...'
It also says "Hindrance rules do not apply", and in-season orchard should be an obstacle not a Hindrance, which makes it confusing. Per the Q&A from the ancient ones, the resolution is clear.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It also says "Hindrance rules do not apply", and in-season orchard should be an obstacle not a Hindrance, which makes it confusing. Per the Q&A from the ancient ones, the resolution is clear.

JR
However, the relevance of that Q&A is questionable as it is simply contained in a letter & never published as official Q&A ruling in an Annual or Journal though sufficient time has passed to incorporate it to an official response. In my estimation would be the same weight as if I were to ask a question face to face with Perry at some gathering and then publish the response as an official Q&A although never be backed up by an official response. As always, such rulings can be taken with a degree of skepticism, accepted or ignored. As per the rules as written, I stand by my response.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
However, the relevance of that Q&A is questionable as it is simply contained in a letter & never published as official Q&A ruling in an Annual or Journal though sufficient time has passed to incorporate it to an official response. In my estimation would be the same weight as if I were to ask a question face to face with Perry at some gathering and then publish the response as an official Q&A although never be backed up by an official response. As always, such rulings can be taken with a degree of skepticism, accepted or ignored. As per the rules as written, I stand by my response.
You and your opponent are free to ignore whatever PerrySez you like using whatever criteria you like.

NR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
B13.31 LOS along a Woods-road without crossing a green woods symbol does not exclude LOS from a higher level...
I know that woods aren't orchards and that the orchard road rule as written seems to exclude LOS along the road from a higher level.
But there could be an analogy between those rules sections which led to that old Q&A.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Woods-roads are different in that Woods is not Inherent Terrain: what matters is the LOS crossing the woods depiction. Orchards are Inherent.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Woods-roads are different in that Woods is not Inherent Terrain: what matters is the LOS crossing the woods depiction. Orchards are Inherent.
Which I clearly explained in my post.