In-Command required for Opp Firer?

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
It is the FRIENDLY Prep Fire Phase. I have leader, squad, and LMG stacked. The squad+LMG wish to declare Opp Fire and the leader is expected to move during the MPh.

Does the leader make an In-Command check and then exert his influence over the squad for "later" Opp Fire? Or would the squad have to roll for his own In-Command check even though there is a leader present?

I'm thinking the latter because if the leader moves > two hexes away during the MPh, it would seem strange that the squad is In-Command. However, since the Opp Fire "action" (declaration) occurs now (and is "occurring during the one minute player turn") an In-Command check would occur now and any nearby leaders would influence. Also, if the leader performed an In-Command check now, could the leader move if he otherwise was not directing the Opp Firer?

I could argue either way...and I cannot find a clear rule.

Comments? Thanks!

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
S16.4
.....A leader may have his CMD DR made as soon as he or any unit within his Command Influence Range wishes to perform its first action or to utilize its Command Influence. Mark each leader that passes his CMD DR with an "In CMD" marker.

comment:
The leader can roll as the unit wishes to perform an action -- then any unit in his range including himself is in command for whatever actions they want to do. So roll the leader first, then in Prep the unit is in command and can declare OP Fire.

enjoy!