Impossible to beat ASL!

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
As I continue to struggle to find a set of rules to use for 20mm miniature wargaming in WWII it always reminds me how GOOD ASL IS! Thankful for this system and all the designers, playtesters, players, bloggers, retailers, etc. who have supported it for decades. It seems I will always fall back on using it for miniatures games too.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Just in case you didn't know, the last Winter Offensive scenario pack came with new Deluxe maps, which can hold miniatures.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Not 20mm miniatures! 20mm is 1/72(ish), DASL miniatures are 1/285. Magnify the DASL hexes by about 4 and you'd be OK, assuming a big table. (20mm wargaming pretty much requires a table that big any way.)

And regarding the OP's point: I have not done any great searching for miniature WW2 rules, but I've browsed a few over the years; I've not encountered any that seemed to have any real life to them. Sufficient to play a game, sure, but not especially "exciting" or "captivating". ASL has spoiled me for a lot of these games (and a lot of other board games, too.)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have to agree with Bruce about ASL providing the richest and most comprehensive set of low level tactical rules. Only the original AH Tobruk came close and even that went overboard on the armour bits but lacked so much of ASL stuff like Chapters E and G.

DASL hexes are 2.2" to 40m or 1/715.8, so even 1/285 or 1/300 are overscale by a factor of 2.51 or 2.39. They still can look good though.

Last edited:

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all. Yes I use 4" hexes for 20mm miniatures. 15mm would be a better scale to make the buildings fit the hexes like an ASL map but I don't want to convert at this stage of the game!

Here is an example of a Russian front setup from some years back. Will get some current photos soon.

IMG_5012 (1).JPG
IMG_5010.JPG

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here is an example of a Russian front setup from some years back. Will get some current photos soon.
These look gorgeous, but it seems a little bit too much work. What's the best ratio that you can expect of time spent preparing the whole thing to time spent actually playing?

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
These look gorgeous, but it seems a little bit too much work. What's the best ratio that you can expect of time spent preparing the whole thing to time spent actually playing?
Philippe,

If you have to ask about that ratio you are not destined to be a miniatures gamer! A lot of the enjoyment of the hobby for me is painting, modelling, etc. so I am good working hours on end prepping minis and then playing a 3-4 hour scenario.

As far as actual setup of each scenario only takes about 30 minutes.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Oh, I know perfectly well that miniature gaming is not for me - I've seen lots of gamers spending time on their armies (usually fantasy gaming, in one universe or another), and I know it's not for me. The last time I tried painting minis was in the '80s, and I was only moderately proud of myself because I was in my early teens and had nothing to compare against :)

(Stopped at maybe 10-15 painted figures - those were for fantasy RPGs)

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I know perfectly well that miniature gaming is not for me - I've seen lots of gamers spending time on their armies (usually fantasy gaming, in one universe or another), and I know it's not for me. The last time I tried painting minis was in the '80s, and I was only moderately proud of myself because I was in my early teens and had nothing to compare against :)

(Stopped at maybe 10-15 painted figures - those were for fantasy RPGs)
I completely understand. Now with wife, 2 kids, dog, and two jobs I prefer to buy painted minis!!!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
ASL has spoiled me for a lot of these games (and a lot of other board games, too.)
This.

Sometimes when people ask why I haven't tried this and that, I either have to tell them that looking at the rules of that game, I find them wanting. Or I find my time better spent on playing ASL rather than learning some new set of rules which can hardly have that tremedous amount of scrutiny behind it, that characterizes the current set of ALS rules.

von Marwitz

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
Could you not simply used the ASL rules? Convert hexes to an arbitrary distance , say 1" is 1 hex?
Yes you can do this and many folks do. I like the hex terrain for a boardgame just because it better represents a 3D approach to a boardgame. Lots of options all of which are good.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
This.

Sometimes when people ask why I haven't tried this and that, I either have to tell them that looking at the rules of that game, I find them wanting. Or I find my time better spent on playing ASL rather than learning some new set of rules which can hardly have that tremedous amount of scrutiny behind it, that characterizes the current set of ALS rules.

von Marwitz
Agreed! I get so frustrated playing games with friends that have extremely ambiguous rules. They don't see all the holes the ASL community does!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know a lot of folks that play these. I really like unit bases though vs. 1:1 skirmish. Thank you for the reply!
Those look excellent. Way past anything that I would do but good on you!

If I had retired, comfortably, 20 years ago maybe, but then again that wasn't going to happen either :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
All I can say is very, very nice terrain and figure painting. I can say that with some experience, as I used to do some good models, though mainly in 1/35 and 1/48.

I did some 1/285 though, but more as a painting exercise than a serious attempt at building an army.

GHQ models.JPG

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Some years back a few of us locally would occasionally be asked to provide a "demo" game of ASL at a local wargames "open day". We were the only boardgamers present, everything else were miniatures games. What we did was pick some honking big scenario (balance or historicity was not an issue), print out enlarged maps and go at it. We had fun but I don't know that we impressed the onlookers much with our cardboard counters.

So I was thinking what we could do to add some visual "pep" and I contemplated getting some GHQ miniatures for some suitable DASL scenario. (I enjoy painting miniatures and building models but I don't do a lot of it these days,) OK, costs for buying the miniatures required, ouch (keeping in mind that we'd need "spares" to cater for half-squads, leaders, heroes, etc.). I didn't mind the thought of painting the miniature vehicles, but painting 1/285 infantry didn't excite me at all. And then I thought, if this is for a demo, it really ought to be on a 3D board, and we should avoid using counters wherever possible, so more building and painting and ... I woke up from the fever dream and resumed normal activities ....