Impeachment

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Below is something I posted about a week ago. That last video merely confirms the impressions I had got when catching up with US political trends. It's nice to get some figures/graphs to confirm what has been slapping one in the face.
'Starting with The Newt the right has pursued a scorched earth approach to advance their agenda and has dragged the US with them.'
Again, spot on. I only wish other Americans understood this so well. Yes, the current vitriol started with Gingrich in the early 90's and has only gotten worse since. And to those who doubt it - no, both sides aren't equally responsible for the failure in politics. The GOP went harder, faster, meaner than the Dems towards this now untenable situation. But you'll never get the right to understand much less admit that it was them, not those on the left, who have pushed us to the brink.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Democrats have realized that there is a real risk in sitting by and allowing themselves to be assaulted by Trump, while doing little to fight back. The Democratic base wants a party that will fight back against this president’s authoritarian antics and bullying. Doing nothing reinforces the idea that the Democrats do not have spines, and that they will not engage in an active campaign to defeat Trump in 2020. Pelosi has shown via impeachment inquiry that the neoliberal wing of the party, while happy to roll over for corporate interests, will not be willingly run over by Trump’s blatant partisan electioneering.

the dangers accompanying impeachment simply mean that it needs to be pursued as soon as possible, and that the matter – whether Democrats succeed or fail in removing Trump – needs to be settled well before election day 2020. I’ve seen no compelling evidence to suggest that impeachment, by itself, will produce a mass groundswell in 2020 to sweep the Democrats into power in the Senate, or win the White House. The party needs a candidate who inspires young Americans, swing voters, and disillusioned ex-voters who have flocked from the party over the years due to its elitist, neoliberal policies. And without a progressive campaign of the Sanders-Warren variety, there is little reason to think that the Democrats are going to prevail in 2020 over Trump."

Sounds right to me.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And without a progressive campaign of the Sanders-Warren variety, there is little reason to think that the Democrats are going to prevail in 2020 over Trump."
Little reason but lots of evidence. The neo-liberal Clinton won the popular vote by 3 million voters. The neo-liberal Obama won with even more votes. The neo-liberal Biden, whom you relentlessly slander, will beat trump by five points according to his worst polls. If you want to affect progressive change, attack policy, not people.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny how we had all this interest over Benghazi and an email server in this forum, but now nothing over Trump's solicitation of foreign powers to undermine Democrats.

Funny how that works.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're right - all of those people; Clinton(s), Obama, Biden are neoliberals. I try to confine my attacks to the idea of neoliberalism itself. So too do the articles that I post on the subject. Devolving into personalities and personal insults will not get us anywhere.

Neoliberalism is the poison that helped bring Trump. How? Because a lot of Americans are dissatisfied with Government and angry at those at the top who've forgotten about them (both the noxious neoconservatives and the much less noxious neoliberals), in favor of supporting large corporate interests. Neoliberalism isn't confined to the individuals like Clinton who support it - its a philosophy and an increasingly damaging and destructive one. Support it or those who champion it all you want. I will not and will not attack you for doing so - but will go after the idea itself. I simply see that neoliberalism is a terrible philosophy.

I wish you would actually debate why you support neoliberalism and those who champion that. In turn, I'm glad to say why I support progressivism. There is plenty of room to do just that on another thread (How Did We Get Here).

Last edited:

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What will Mitch do?

"Either he (Trump) quits and gets pardoned, or he loses the election and goes to prison. McConnell can play games during the trial, and Trump might be acquitted. Sure. There are many ways in which that could play out. But if Trump loses next year, he could land in federal lockup before he has a chance to break ground on his presidential library and food court."

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stupid-gate.

"Trump has one fatal flaw, one that Richard Nixon did not quite share. As a lifelong narcissist, Donald Trump genuinely believes he can do nothing wrong. He perhaps even genuinely believes that anything he has ever done that has been wrong is not, in fact, wrong. He further believes that the presidency is the perfect gig for him because presidents can do nothing illegal. And, somewhat pathetically, he apparently seems to think that if he could just explain his rightness about all things to everyone, we would finally give him the love he so desperately craves. And so, unlike Nixon, who at some point did give himself over to the cover-up, Donald Trump just keeps trying to publicly justify the crimes.

In the past week alone, instead of just keeping quiet, Donald Trump has instead directed his energies to try to convince us that he is right and we are wrong. He wants us to understand and accept that his threatening calls to foreign leaders are “very legal and very good,” and also “perfect,” and that a whistleblower and those who spoke to the whistleblower are in fact “close to” spies who should be executed for treason. When hundreds of former foreign service officers express horror at Trump’s antics, and his behavior shows him to be manifestly unwell, he keeps repeating that he is perfect and stable and good, because he thinks he is (and after all, his assumption on this point has until now been proved correct)."

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The more I absorb the last week or so's news the more I believe we should celebrate the true hero of the Spanky pee-residency, namely

🦇 Rudi Ghouliani 🧛‍♂️
the resident of dark places.

The more Giuliani speaks the more mines the Spanky oligarchy strikes. 🧛‍♂️ has kneecapped and deftly slung Pompeo into the path of an oncoming train, whether Pompeo slithers out of the way is yet to be seen. Pence has now been fingered as well. One lesson from the Nixon era is "get the VP as well".

Long live undead Rudi 🧛‍♂️! The next administration should reward him with a luxury, gilded coffin with an eternal blood supply on tap.

It's so much fun watching the pack tearing each other apart. It's becoming as much fun as Brexit. It's a slight pity that both series have scheduled their final seasons at roughly the same time: Entertainment Overload!

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good article this morning from Robert Reich: https://prospect.org/impeachment/real-lesson-of-ukraine-gate-trump/

"The real value of the formal impeachment now underway is to put Trump on notice that he can’t necessarily get away with abusing his presidential power to win reelection. He will still try, of course. But at least a line has been drawn. And now everyone is watching."

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's so much fun watching the pack tearing each other apart. It's becoming as much fun as Brexit. It's a slight pity that both series have scheduled their final seasons at roughly the same time: Entertainment Overload!
Yea, I guess if you get tired of crying about it - the best way forward is to laugh about it.. funny but true

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Yea, I guess if you get tired of crying about it - the best way forward is to laugh about it.. funny but true
Yes, exactly. Call it a mental defence mechanism. Up to now it has been a slightly hysterical giggle combined with genuine laughter at the stupidity of so many of the actions. Now it has an edge of genuine glee, both in a spirit of vengeance and at the Keystone Cops type of reactions of the Spankyists. Spanky is clearly loosing whatever little it was that he had ("You talking to me?") and his cabal are running around like the proverbial headless chickens, tripping each other up.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump just talked to a bunch of reporters and said he expected Ukraine to investigate the crooked Bidens. And that China, who trade delegation is due in the US next week, should do the same. He added later that "many, many countries" would be looking into the Bidens.

The DNC guest on CNN had a grin the size of Texas on her face. Trump just admitted guilt in front of the entire world, and then asked for more. It's insanity.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He can't help himself. Trump is our Rorschach test. Some see a straight-forward cowboy. Others see (accurately) a criminal.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llRussia
Trump just talked to a bunch of reporters and said he expected Ukraine to investigate the crooked Bidens. And that China, who trade delegation is due in the US next week, should do the same. He added later that "many, many countries" would be looking into the Bidens.

The DNC guest on CNN had a grin the size of Texas on her face. Trump just admitted guilt in front of the entire world, and then asked for more. It's insanity.

He's demented. But his supporters don't care.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He's demented. But his supporters don't care.
Trump is their middle-finger to Washington. They don't care whether Trump is a criminal. Their enjoyment at holding up their middle finger to Washington is much more important to them than whether we have a criminal President.

I get the middle finger thing. Washington has been run like a racket for the rich. But the remedy isn't Trump. Trump makes the racket even more dangerous for the average Joe. Joe just hasn't gotten the message.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another week of unhinged republicans trying to defend Trump

This idiot says, "why should I care [that there is a second whistleblower]?". Spoken like a man that wouldn't impeach Trump if Trump porked his wife, then his daughter, then his poodle. "They are better for the experience."

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How Perry must excel at being an idiot if he's the one they are trying to leave holding the bag, over Pompeo and Pence.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Spanky has just thrown the Kurds under the Turkish Bus. Reminds me of the post-'91 war uprisings that were allowed to be crushed because the US liked Iran less than Saddam Hussain.

Last edited: