Illuminating Rounds: Episode 8. The Fight For Seoul

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here we go! Thanks to LTF for supplying us with a copy of Fight for Seoul - here's our take on the module and the AAR of a meaty scenario from the pack.

Top 5 non-hasl maps in for fun and some rules resolutions and a question at the end that we probably should know at this point, but you know how it is...

Enjoy,

Dave & Martin

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave and Martin,

Another fabulous job the episode was great fun to watch as always.

I've posted my thoughts on the Intensive Fire question on Facebook I hope it's helpful!

Indy

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave and Martin,

Thanks for the review of Fight for Seoul...and the thumbs up. Very nice assessment by Martin about overall the rules have lots of duplicates amid the two booklets, and likewise within each nothing that daunting. {Brief side bar about the counters...the sheet is there mainly to provide supplemental USMC MMC for the CG...though there are a few direct like counters like "Emb. Stream" of the Japanese MMG in KPA colors.}

Excellent back drop to your review, with the Miracle on the Han in full splendor. Sets the scene splendidly for why the battle was worth fighting for...!

If I could just answer the one question that baffled each of you as far as I could tell...and it was not a rules question, or counter question, or map question, and do so...in a tongue and cheek way....you asked "I don't know who Andrew Hershey is."

First Dave ...we meet at the bar at ASLOk when you last attended (2011?)...okay "the bar," meaning you had too many and don't remember meeting me...but Derek Cox was with us as we had a chat about football...he of Chelsea, you of some crap East London club best known for well I best not answer that, and me representing a fine North London club with a recently opened new stadium....and a new manager who once worked for Derek's club. Also to help jog the memory I stood at 2 meters and a bit as we chatted...any bells?, bells? No. That is a Hammer for you. And your a ref. too, so does that mean you will forget me if I commit a foul worth another Yellow Card?

That said,...if you and Martin have a quick check of the credits to...various ASL Annuals in the Masthead (Avalon Hill), designer credits of Forgotten War (MMP), or say same for...Kampfgruppe Scherer (LFT), ...or say same for Operation Chariot (LFT), maybe....Operation Merkur (HOB), never mind the odd credit in Dispatches from the Bunker (DftB)... my obscurity might lift some. However, I am ever so grateful for this very obscurity as I can walk down the High Street, without dark glasses, get a paper from the corner shop and not* be assailed for a selfie or an autograph. Alas, the chicks don't see me either. Two sides to every coin.

Oh, and I don't speak or write English...I am a Yank...so I speak and write proper American. But, I did live in England for a total of 5 years of my life off and on, so I ain't all Septic, now what I mean mate? ;) {Note despite this fact, there are some grammar errors which Martin Vinca, a Scottish speaker, again not English either, has spotted. +1 to him.}

On your 1a, 2a, 3a idea "sequentially" (as Dave noted) for "Sights on Seoul," I had that at one point, .... certain folks internally thought is was too many times to the same well. BUT, I do think there is something there perhaps to do as a follow on scenario, because, it does give one some time options, as the version you all played can take some time.

Thanks again.

Andy (not the tall chap on the Hight Street).

Andy

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ha Andy! My memory was jogged at your 2m comment ?

Apologies for not putting the face (& name) to a namenot giving you your proper credits. I’d read whilst I was putting together the video that you’d had a hand (designed it all?) in Forgotten War, and I’d wondered why that amazing map didn’t make it as the official hasl map/cg.

I hope the video does some justice to the pack and your work.

I clearly need to get back to aslok one day, too!

NicosRex

Reaction score
First name
Nic
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for the hard work that must go into these videos. I love the way that you both are clearly passionate about the game and yet manage to convey this in a more relaxed style than most of the videos that I have seen by excitable inhabitants of the former colonies.

Since I am returning to the hobby after a break of over 20 years, I have just one request. I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to purchase Red Factories (I still have my original copy of RB) or any of the Korean War products, particularly as I will struggle to find the space to play using the larger HASL maps. Your last two videos have left me weakening in my resolve. Given the financial catastrophe that I am already experiencing in replacing my ancient core modules it would be greatly appreciated it you could preface future videos that are likely to lead to expenditure with a suitably discreet financial health warning!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha Andy! My memory was jogged at your 2m comment ?

Apologies for not putting the face (& name) to a namenot giving you your proper credits. I’d read whilst I was putting together the video that you’d had a hand (designed it all?) in Forgotten War, and I’d wondered why that amazing map didn’t make it as the official hasl map/cg.

I hope the video does some justice to the pack and your work.

I clearly need to get back to aslok one day, too!
I thought 2m might jog the memory banks. No, need to apologize, we spoke for maybe 10-12 minutes, it not like I sat across the gaming table and played AS vs. you for 4.5 hours. In FW I was one of 5 designers, KGS I did myself (with my PT band), Merkur was co-design with Derek Ward and Micheal Hastrup Leith and Shawn Carter, Op Chariot was myself on the raid part, and then with Steve Swann on the geo-scenarios.

Yes, great video series you and Martin have going, very helpful to the hobby and individual designers. Thank you both.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you for the hard work that must go into these videos. I love the way that you both are clearly passionate about the game and yet manage to convey this in a more relaxed style than most of the videos that I have seen by excitable inhabitants of the former colonies.

Since I am returning to the hobby after a break of over 20 years, I have just one request. I had pretty much decided that I wasn't going to purchase Red Factories (I still have my original copy of RB) or any of the Korean War products, particularly as I will struggle to find the space to play using the larger HASL maps. Your last two videos have left me weakening in my resolve. Given the financial catastrophe that I am already experiencing in replacing my ancient core modules it would be greatly appreciated it you could preface future videos that are likely to lead to expenditure with a suitably discreet financial health warning!
Ha - that's great, we'll do our best! You're only up the road, I hope we can get a game in some time :)

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, great video series you and Martin have going, very helpful to the hobby and individual designers. Thank you both.
Thanks. Without guys like you we'd have nothing to play. Thank you for all your dedication, and if possible please pass on our thanks to your teams. I have everything you've listed above and have nothing but good things to say about all of it.

Let's get a room :)

NicosRex

Reaction score
First name
Nic
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're only up the road, I hope we can get a game in some time :)
That would be brilliant, although I suspect that it would be more in the nature of tuition rather than a competitive game, I am shockingly rusty.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chilling with my wife in the living room on Sunday evening, I turn to her and ask if she wants to see two British guys review my Seoul maps on YouTube. After some mucking about, we finally get to the part where our erstwhile hosts call the maps "spectacular" and my wife turns to me and gives me a big smile.

Priceless :) Thanks guys! :)

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Great stuff guys.

But the review in view from the Trenches was by Ben Jones not me.

Clearly all scousers look the same....just like all Londoners are cockneys. Or cockmonkeys. I get mixed up.

Keep em coming.