Illuminating Rounds: Episode 4

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I may have misunderstood something, but during the Soviet setup commentary there was something about cowering with the firelane from the HIP squad when firing two or three times. Firelane residual attacks don't cower; only the initial shot is subject to cowering (which would prevent placing the firelane in the first place). I wonder if "malfunction" was meant instead. A malfunction on a firelane attack DR will malfunction the MG. The Soviet light MG is a B11 weapon, so it is fairly likely to malfunction on multiple shots.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As a minor technical point, the deluxe boards are slightly smaller than a quarter of a regular board. They are half width, but slightly less than half length.

JR

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
David & Martin, many thanks for your podcast. Very entertaining, I’ve just started viewing and have enjoy listening to your banter. I play solo, so it’s nice to hear mates have a chat about ASL.

In regards to I.R. # 3 (Balance) & I.R.# 4 (DASL), you touched on importance of balance in selecting a scenario, and also, when to stop playing (concede) a game.
I, like you guys, play ASL for fun, so I rarely look at a ROAR score before playing a scenario; if the situation on the card looks entertaining to play, then I hopefully enjoy it, even if it ends up finishing 2 turns early (even bad ASL is better than no ASL). In regards to ‘conceding’, I usually play until the last turn, unless the VC’s are unobtainable (such as, if one side doesn’t got enough remaining units to exit for the win). Even though my ASL time is limited due to real life, I tend to complete games to the last turn, it’s axiomatic how many ‘good’ ASL scenarios finish in the last half turn.

Keep up your good work and enjoy our game. ?

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
David and Martin,

Thanks to your inspiration, I played Guryev (from the new deluxe pack) on Thursday.

It seems there is a (major?) change between the original and the updated one. In
the update, the ground level of dL1 (the victory building) is Fortified.

I ended up losing as the Germans. Part of me thinks I didn't prep fire enough. I say that
as this is a scenario from 1986(?) and perhaps the style of play was a bit different and focused
more on firepower.

Great job on #15 btw!

indy

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks to your inspiration, I played Guryev (from the new deluxe pack) on Thursday.
That series replay in the General is well worth the entrance fee! I didn't know about the updates, and I think in our playing it wouldn't have affected anything too much. It's a great scenario though, and I'm glad you gave it a go - it's a proper classic these days :)