Illuminating Rounds Episode 25: Cold Crocodiles

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello - a great episode today, as we welcome a new friend to the show, and all-round forum superstar, Tom Repetti, as he takes on the role of neutral commentator in our game of Cold Crocs.

We also look at our top 5 Journals, and Toby talks about machine guns.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Dave's comment on his French counters -

"...they are sharing a Racco with the Italians, they're being very well behaved...."
So very English.

No comment on the "Three French " quip <<groan>>

Dinant is a great CG,... we finished our's in June. The boats are not so very difficult.

Edit: OBA is the best means of killing boats but beware of German firepower on the east bank. The French need to be very careful with their at start forces.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom's Wife is happy for him, but doesn't think the Pence joke was funny.

Tom promises to be less pedantic, more relaxed, and more snappy next time, and to get a better mike. If there is a next time. Please people, text #KeepTom to this station and we'll see if we can polish this rough nugget into a shining pearl. Or something.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Or something.
Ok, this video explains why I was dreaming of Crocodile tanks and 88LL AT guns the other night. Also woke up feeling critical about Dave Ramsey - it was the Tuomo shared consciousness thing at work once again.

But, lame joking aside solid vote from me #KeepTom. This commentary improved the game part vastly, when someone looked the game from the outside. You have now a solid set of features. The only critique I might have is the episode length - is something pushing two hours desirable? Perhaps alternate on the various features around a bit and make episodes more frequent?

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
I was thinking the same - maybe do 2 shorter videos - 1 to talk about the journals and 1 for the AAR? That would keep both under an hour.

From this playing the scenario seemed very pro-British. They just have so many powerful assets while the Germans main asset - the 88LLs - while deadly are easily swarmed.

Then again, the German player suffered from some dreadful dice rolls.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I watched this episode much like I watch other digital content; broken up over a couple sessions. I find it very interesting and wonder how I might contribute but accepting anything I would add would probably detract from the content. Well done. -- jim

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a fair point - and this time we even tried to be quick! :)

We'll aim for an hour-per show. I think it's a good target to set.

And a solid debut from Tom, too!
I don't know, re:shorter. ASL is an in depth topic. The greater the content, the greater the time and people can skip past features they find less useful.

I think you guys do a very solid job. Even if Martin can't pronounce my last name :).

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I find it very interesting and wonder how I might contribute but accepting anything I would add would probably detract from the content.
Jim - suggestions of things to play (and reasons why, a bit like how Toby got us to play Hellenic Expedition) - or tactical experiments ("Try playing Red Storm and destroying the bridge by xyz method", etc) are all really useful contributions. Maybe send us a logfile accompanying a scenario suggestion, with your own commentary of what can be learned/gained, etc.

Even 'top 5' suggestions (with your own personal suggestions) are welcome :)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom's Wife is happy for him, but doesn't think the Pence joke was funny.

Tom promises to be less pedantic, more relaxed, and more snappy next time, and to get a better mike. If there is a next time. Please people, text #KeepTom to this station and we'll see if we can polish this rough nugget into a shining pearl. Or something.
It was a nice bonus to finally get to hear the velvety pipes of Tom's voice after having worked with him such a while ago on VASL. Don't spend all your pence in one place.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sorry! Fewer words next time.
I did not mean you were the problem- over the time that have added the VASL move by move replays, Toby, and now neutral comments on the play. There is more stuff in each episode that it was in the beginning.

My short attention span might be the issue on the other hand.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim - suggestions of things to play (and reasons why, a bit like how Toby got us to play Hellenic Expedition) - or tactical experiments ("Try playing Red Storm and destroying the bridge by xyz method", etc) are all really useful contributions. Maybe send us a logfile accompanying a scenario suggestion, with your own commentary of what can be learned/gained, etc.

Even 'top 5' suggestions (with your own personal suggestions) are welcome :)
I’d like to see Jim’s top 5 recommendations to play as well. Could be a nice future discussion topic: all time favorite scenarios by the hobbies best players

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's a fair point - and this time we even tried to be quick! :)

We'll aim for an hour-per show. I think it's a good target to set.

And a solid debut from Tom, too!
You could also split things into two one hour episodes...after all, who doesn't
like a cliffhanger?

Don't worry about the length. I can always hit pause and come back later.

indy

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stay closer to the victory buildings, you keep getting caught trying to reposition. It happened in Hellenic also. Remember big picture/small picture and try to look at the board from both perspectives during the movement phase, stand back a little. It takes energy to either avoid or catch those sneaky LOSs that can change a game. Anyways, good game and Tom was great, standard practice around here is the Germans get the extra squad.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave and Martin,

Thank you for another excellent installment.

In the pregame briefing about Cold Crocodiles, I think you spoke about buildings that
start the game uncontrolled.

I don't think that is the case here. Have a look at A26.11. "At scenario start a side gains
Control of Locations/hexes/buildings within its set-up area..., as well as all Locations/hexes
buildings on a board if that side is the only side which may set up on that board at scenario
start."

As the Germans can set up on either board, I think that the Germans control all buildings at
start.

It's certainly a very minor point.

indy

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good catch Indy! It's not so minor as Martin ran his tanks over to control them, too...

That and I cheated him on the OBA and the loss of concealment against the 88. I'll explain all on the next episode...

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I also believe Crosstown Traffic should be more highly rated as well
I prefer the one where he stands next to the mountain and chops it down with the edge of his hand.