Illuminating Rounds Episode 23: Bread Factory #2

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We're back with some rules that we think we know better! This time we're off to Stalingrad for the little, but well loved, Bread Factory #2 and our top 5 Annuals.

We also, if you listen hard enough, teach everyone a little about Irish language pronunciation.

Got a favourite Annual scenario that isn't one of the classics? We'd love to hear about them!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Another well done episode, gents. Loved the trip down memory lane with the ASL Annuals.

For me 93a is the best of the Annuals for the article on tanks, "Panzer Gegen Panzer" (just ahead of "Spelunking 101" (caves) in 96). The best scenario in that edition has to be "Swan Song" (redone in CdG 2).

93b is great for Gavatu-Tanambogo but this issue has a number of my favourite early war scenarios - A63, Action at Balberkamp; A64, Chateau de Quesnoy and A66, Counterstroke at Stonne (now that I am on VASL I hope to take on Indy in any one of those soon).

Early war, combined arms and long(ish) scenarios are favourites since I enjoy fast play.

Looking forward to Cold Crocs. That should be very interesting.

Last edited:

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Great show. Unreal turn of events in the game.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, on the WP MC thing. If the unit taking the MC has a 6 on the colored die, the TEM becomes a + on the MC. Not a 1 :). A24.31, last sentence.
Also, per G11.85, ANY WP successfully placed in a cave is automatically a CH regardless of how it was placed. So that is unfortunately a big miss.

Also, G11.851 does not apply to WP grenades, but is a huge use for 5/8 inch WP vs Caves.

Love your stuff guys. Hope that helps. :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
95 Annual is of course the right answer; glad I don't have to withdraw my Patreonage because you guys got that wrong.

Just a stellar lineup of scenarios. Several of which were All Stars from previous publications, but no matter. Acts of Defiance, Last of Their Strength, Orange at Walawbum, Wintergewitter, Broich Bash, Italian Broheims, Valhalla Bound... It's like a Murderer's Row of scenarios.

Great sound quality with this episode. Glad Martin's hair is on its way back to normal.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There was an error in the German set-up as the group that sets up w/in 2 hexes of F45 must be in buildings/rubble (one stack set up in shellholes). It really made no material difference as if he had set up in a building he could have made the same 1st turn move. Oh, yes 'zerkers can be a PITA but you were going to be going into CC anyway (they also tend to draw fire) and even a 1/2 turn of guys with 10 morale can make a big difference not to mention a down 1 modifier until he goes berserk.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey fellas, love your work. Martin mentioned playing an airborne scenario in the future, he also alluded to a UTube video in a previous episode by Derek Ritter. Just some nitpicking for future reference: in Derek’s playthrough he skipped the Drift Placement procedure after his third wing drop point was inaccurate; not only do you roll for a board, but must then pick a drift counter between A & GG, place the wing parachute on hex number 5 of the chosen hexrow, then roll for random scatter from that position (sounds complex when written, but easy to follow in the rules).
Derek also forgot to apply ‘aerial range’ when firing at parachutists in the air (basically halving your normal range.
Hope this helps when you play the paradrop in the not too distant future.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hope this helps when you play the paradrop in the not too distant future.
Cheers! It's next on the list after the Dinant campaign. Stay tuned for that in a week or so (I might be on holidays, depending on the whole europe/covid-situation)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nhpum Ga in the 97 Annual has to be a favourite.

I only just played Maggot Hill this year - US ROF of 3 cut the Japanese to pieces:)