daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here we go, getting our feet wet:

YouTube is a bit of a pain when it comes to live streams. The video was 4 hrs 50 mins but we lost the last 90 mins for those watching afterwards. So, for those that want to know the outcome, here it is:

Martin resigned on the last turn. The tunnel, connecting the pillbox to the hex adjacent to the exit hex, allowed me to pull back a squad and effectively guard all 3 exit hexes with MMCs that Martin would have had to ambush, survive and withdraw from to win. Not only that, but he had yet to take a cave by the final turn.

We messed up (of course we did!) a bunch. So, here are the list of things we got wrong (feel free to add to them!)
  • A recalled Amphibian (along with other AFVs) is allowed to spend points to unload Passengers.
  • The amphibians should have been taking NTCs each turn they were on land, to see if they recall, if they have Passengers. Auto recall with no passengers which we played correctly.
  • The NOBA chit draw pile should have been 5-2 which we caught mid-game, but both black and red pulled NOBA chits go back in the pile (which we didn't do)
Things we could have done better:
  • More white phosphorous from the marines?
  • More cannister shots vs the caves?
  • Use the NOBA as scouting for the caves (this is probably associated with the 3rd bullet point being misplayed, in that Martin didn't want to risk another red chit draw due to the no LOS of enemy units on the hills)
Anyway - we had a good time. Next up we're back to our pre-recorded session, either the start of a Dinant campaign or off to Stalingrad for an attack on the bread factory, in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who joined in!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I was wondering if Martin was using his assault fire capabilities when calculating his attacks while still on the water.

As an example, I believe he had a 348 and two 768s in a vehicle shooting at 5-6 hexes. My thought was his calcs were too low:

768 x 1/2 = 3.5 mounted fire; 3.5 x 1/2 for motion firer = 1.75; +1 aslt fire = 2.75; FRU = 3 per squad. Two such squads should have had 6FP.

If shooting at the ? target you would go from 7 to 3.5, to 1.75, to .875, +1 aslt fire, FRU to 2 per squad or 4 FP. Or, did I miss something?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave's voice was very faint. Perhaps his mic was too far away. Martin had more than enough volume ? . It was difficult to find a balance when trying to listen to the conversation.

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This one was just tricky - from start to finish! Technological, rules and tactics were all issues that popped up throughout the session!

The debate about whether the marines should be firing from the LVTs (and even whether they could) was interesting. The danger of the high Japanese sniper, who'll either recall or C/R a squad is relatively high. Personally I'd favour hunkering down and just getting on the beaches to do the fighting there. We adjusted the sound a turn or so in - hopefully it got better throughout. Just as we think we're getting better, we change equipment, and it means redoing a lot of the parameters (my mic is about 3 inches away from me, on max gain, but I do have the option of upping it through the streaming program, so we'll do more sound checks with anyone who's streaming at the start of the next one.)

I'm sure you're right about the assault fire though! Add it to the list :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It was a game try and no easy set of rules to wrap one's head around. Full credit for the attempt. ?

The complexity of the cave rules is still what scares most people away from those scenarios. It's nothing some practice would not solve but with so many options available caves seem like "too much" to be bothered with. LC/Amphib scenarios, on the other hand, are much more manageable (although I admit my experience with LCs is limited and far in the past).

I need to fix that.

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dave,

It's always fun to see you and Martin...even if remotely.

I recently (mis) played my first seaborne assault scenario, "When I Call Roll." I'm with the Purist
in that the cave rules terrify me. It seems to me that, as the defender, it's fun to dream up tricks
and traps with a cave complex. And once the scenario starts, there are not a lot of decisions to
make. Would you concur?

indy

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey Indy,

I recently (mis) played my first seaborne assault scenario, "When I Call Roll."
Well, that's certainly easy to do! :)

I'm with the Purist in that the cave rules terrify me.
Yeah certainly with cave complexes. With just standard caves - it's mostly getting your head around the LOS rules (they're basically on the lowest level of the hex they're allowed to be set up in) and just like a pillobox with extra TEM.

It seems to me that, as the defender, it's fun to dream up tricks and traps with a cave complex. And once the scenario starts, there are not a lot of decisions to make. Would you concur?
Exactly. I was really mindful during this scenario that I wasn't doing anything. Not even firing at times at infantry running infront of them in the open. So, yes, the "fun" is in the setup, the maps are generally quite scenic, you know with the calm beach and the pretty water in the distance.. They really are stand-and-die-fighting spots for the defenders so you're just holding out hoping to not stripe/CR too soon. They're frustrating for the attacker, too, as you can't get into them despite the usually overwhelming firepower you can bring.

I've come to the conclusion they're like a holiday, a break from the norm, and once a year or so, they're good to visit. Then, quickly return to the western front where things are more, homely, er, easy, hmm - maybe just more "normal" :)

Dave

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I've always thought (tongue in cheek) that cave complexes were more "Starship Troopers" than ASL - massive firepower and H-t-H combat against nasty biting things requiring a small nuclear device (set DC) to resolve. I do understand the need for the Complex rules in order to properly represent the Pacific island battles, the game needs the mechanic.

I have read and reread "Spelunking 101" by Dade Cariaga in ASL Annual 96 but it has still not inspired me to go underground.

Regular cave rules are manageable but still,...

Last edited:

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Caves without cave complexes are like bacon butties without brown sauce....you can do it but why would you?

With cave complexes you get to maneuver much more as the defender and it's a lot more interesting.

Rules wise like anything else it seems a lot more scary until you actually play them. Like a scenario with lots of vehicles it does slow things down and things become a bit more chess like. IMO US army are more fun as marines w 8 morale too strong.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Really fun scenario just to watch the vehicles moving in etc..Naval OBA with that 10/3 draw pile...JK....
Don't really care about the errors, you guys were doing your best.
I think trying this out is a huge boon to variety play.

I was trying to read the rules as you were playing...5 TIMES and still didn't understand half the stuff going on. ROFL.

I DO like the live games.
YT sucks at recording...twitch recordings literally TWITCH when saved. Annoying as hell. Still all good.

As I was reading the rules...were there SSR saying the caves have to be on the hill?
IF not what about setting them all up in the gully? LOL Martin never went there.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As I was reading the rules...were there SSR saying the caves have to be on the hill?
IF not what about setting them all up in the gully? LOL Martin never went there.
Yeah - they had to have LOS to an ocean hex - so in the gully might have been tricky to get them to see the sea.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thankyou Dave and Martin for doing these, this one in particular it was great to see some lesser-used rules in action.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Off topic, but just bought a copy of the LFT Deluxe Pack, have loved the large hexes since SoF came out, very nice to have some non-city non-hedgerow terrain, and scenarios that are not all Red Barricades type slugfests. Any thoughts of doing another one with Deluxe ASL having been (re)-released?

phlegm027

Reaction score
I've always thought (tongue in cheek) that cave complexes were more "Starship Troopers" than ASL - massive firepower and H-t-H combat against nasty biting things requiring a small nuclear device (set DC) to resolve. I do understand the need for the Complex rules in order to properly represent the Pacific island battles, the game needs the mechanic.

I have read and reread "Spelunking 101" by Dade Cariaga in ASL Annual 96 but it has still not inspired me to go underground.

Regular cave rules are manageable but still,...
I can have you playimg cave complexes in ten minutes.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dave - I get "video unavailable" when I click on your link.................

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dave - I get "video unavailable" when I click on your link.................
Interesting - youtube suddenly started blocking the embedding option. Anyway - it's re-enabled now. Thanks for spotting this.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The first mortar shot that hit against the landing craft +2 motion vehicle and +2 size modifier means it was a miss? Or have I got that wrong?