Illuminating Rounds: Episode 21: To the Matter Born vs the Expert

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We're pushing virtual counters around seeing if anyone can ever win as the Canadians in this tricky scenario. More great tips from Toby and news about our upcoming (Tuesday 9th June, 3pm UK time) live game!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That was a close game. Gave me something to watch while clipping a few more foxhole counters. Come to think of it, clipping counters while watching Dave and Martin play a game is the ASL equivalent of eating popcorn at the cinema.

I was glad Martin placed Vaagso Venture so high on his list of LC scenarios. It was the first scenario I played with LCs all those years ago. The setting was unusual which added to the scenario's flavour.

Last edited:

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great game, gents!

Question - at 45:25, you mention trying an illegal rout that Toby was having none of. I couldn't see anything wrong with what I thought you were trying to do; what was illegal?

Certainly that stack was primed to go down soon; did you think it might be worth routing straight up the hexrow to the other side of the hill? You'd have to take interdiction from his very well-placed kangaroo on the other hill, but any survivors would be a bit better off closer to friends.

And I was robbed on the freebie drawing! :)

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Question - at 45:25, you mention trying an illegal rout that Toby was having none of. I couldn't see anything wrong with what I thought you were trying to do; what was illegal?
His closest building woods was the one below him, essentially on the front line. No LOS to the units down there so he’s not allowed to not choose that hex if he goes..

You can’t get anything passed that chap!

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yet another very interesting instalment.

I wonder if this one has played so pro-German because of the bog possibility due
to mud...I certainly was afraid of bogging. Now, not so much. For instance, if you have a tank that
spends all of its MP to enter a woods hex, it only bogs on an 11 or 12 (assuming
normal ground pressure). That's not very likely. Plus, it creates a trail break (iirc)
for vehicle who follow. It's the same for mud, I believe.

By the way, I recently (mis) played "When I Call Roll." We gave the Germans the balance as
that one seems to be quite pro American. The Germans might need a bit more than just
the balance, in our opinion.

Hopefully I can join on Tuesday.

indy

PS: Sgt Barker, I was one of those untrustworthy turn-coats who picked Dave...to be fair
(I say sounding suspiciously fair), I allowed a coin to decide who to vote for.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Great epidode, well done chaps! Once again a great example how subjective thing Balance is. This one must have been playtested heavily and the correct apporoach was figured out, during PT. But as most of the games played in ROAR are single playings out of the box- it can leave scenario like this with bad record.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Great epidode, well done chaps! Once again a great example how subjective thing Balance is. This one must have been playtested heavily and the correct apporoach was figured out, during PT. But as most of the games played in ROAR are single playings out of the box- it can leave scenario like this with bad record.
A distinct possibility.
I think the early MUD really meant quite a bit of difference. In a game like this EVERY hex counts.

At least it was good to the last drop.

vmonster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi - just wondering if the live game happened yesterday, and if so whether it will be posted. These are really helpful from a learning perspective (and entertaining). Thanks!

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
The youtube channel seemed to cut out at about Turn 7 without reconnecting. I have no idea who won but the lads were eyes deep in their rule books a few times. ;)

vmonster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah yes found it - thanks! And thanks to Dave and Martin for sharing these.

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We're pushing virtual counters around seeing if anyone can ever win as the Canadians in this tricky scenario. More great tips from Toby and news about our upcoming (Tuesday 9th June, 3pm UK time) live game!

Hello Dave,
I think the biggest handicap for the 'Canadians' in this scenario is that they are not present. The unit involved belongs to the Bristish Army :)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Martin asked what he could have done differently. Maybe:
  • Deploy your reinforcements more. The half squad swarm tactic.
  • Do not split your reinforcement group.
  • The initial set-up was too spread out? Toby had to only take out half your force on that hill at any one time. He has to kill you all - so setup in a mutually supporting group rather than spread out? You will not be able to deny him access to the second hill with your first group so why try?
  • You really, really needed someone on that first hill who could see the level 4 hexes of the other hill to deny Toby concealement and maybe also encircling fire when your reinforcements come on.
Don't feel too bad about the loss - you can bet Toby has played this at least twice before he played you two :) I hope you both had a practice game..........

Next Toby match up - FrF77 Ghostbusters. 75% pro-French if you have a decent setup. Want me to send you one?

Many thanks for another fun program.