Illuminating Rounds: Episode 20 - Live Urban Guerillas

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Thank you very much for the video! I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot from watching other players.

I think I caught a couple of rule mistakes that weren’t mentioned.

1. shouldn’t there be an overlay in 22d10-d9?
  2. In russian turn 5, there is an advancing fire fire group on the right. But the lvl 1 Squad has no LOS.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. shouldn’t there be an overlay in 22d10-d9?
I think they used the pre-made J1 scenario card from the VASL site which I noticed is missing both overlays from the SR. The prepared scenario cards are a great resource, but they should probably still be checked for completeness/errors before use.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you very much for the video! I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot from watching other players.
Thanks - it seems we can learn from you, too :)

shouldn’t there be an overlay in 22d10-d9?
Yes - and one in 22 M10, too. I didn't even think to check that (it's actually a bit tricky because without getting the boards out to compare, I just assumed it was correct).

In russian turn 5, there is an advancing fire fire group on the right. But the lvl 1 Squad has no LOS.
Good catch! We were definitely flagging at that point. As can be seen by Martin's Final Fire counters during the AdFire phase..

Luckily I passed that MC, so no harm done. Not sure whether the missing overlays helped or hindered the attack (they might have provided extra cover from a setup point of view) - but I guess the game was close enough that it didn't matter too much.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, and your sharp eye. I hope you can make the next one, too!

Cheers,

Dave

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Thanks Dave. Yes, if you could zoom in the map a bit more during play, that'd help. And while it warms my heart to see VASL's "This Guy" red circle used, I wonder if we can get Doug to implement an option where it doesn't recenter the map. Sometimes the recentering is a bit jarring for an observer (or one's opponent). Just showing the red circle might be enough for some
I've been requesting this for YEARS

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think they used the pre-made J1 scenario card from the VASL site which I noticed is missing both overlays from the SR. The prepared scenario cards are a great resource, but they should probably still be checked for completeness/errors before use.
They OFTEN have errors in them...unfortunately...it's not easy Especially if the creator was doing card after card after card...easy to mess up.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The 'This Guy'-feature is maybe the most fundamental single improvement of VASL of the last years.

von Marwitz
It's a lazy improvement... Not needed in smaller games...LARGE CG..for sure.!! But IF you "This GUY" when your opponent isnt' looking.... You'll have to repeat.
"Simply, squad in I7..." Suffices.

What I see is OVERUSE of the CIRCLE. It has great value, but some players just LOVE to click the circle.
It bounces the screen around for your opponent who might be needing some serious thought on his next action and needs to "check" an LOS or expand a stack...If you "This Guy" when that happens it can actually screw up the game.

Again, overuse is abuse.

YMMV

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I've made some changes for the next stream, including hacking the VASL client to give us a (slightly) better viewing experience, tried to optimise the streaming parameters, for a better quality stream, and even bought a stream deck to aid with transitions, text updates and scene changes.

It was great to get the feedback during the game, and even better that people have enjoyed it a little after the fact, too. Thanks again - we'll be doing it again, soon!
Are you guys SUPER new to VASL?

Yeah the ONE view for the boards is a big limitation. It's best to operate with "perspective"

The STREAM DECK is a must for streaming.
LOL I actually added some VASL shortcuts to one setup to "Delete, DM, clone, ETC."
You just have to get used to the keys on the SD.

When streaming its tough to keep your audience focus. You might see other replays that never zoom in on a CAMPAIGN size map where 3/4 of the map isn't even used.
That'll come with time.

Personally, I like the 120% zoom in VASL. especially with a half board.
I try to eliminate 90% of the white as you mentioned.

Always Clear via the TOOLBAR, Cleans up the sides...but not really necessary..
Would love to chat with you guys on Discord some time.

STEW

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are you guys SUPER new to VASL?
?We've only been going for about 14 years with vasl, but if you have an easier way to provide a background that gives us this result without recompiling the vasl files, I'm all ears!

Having the map in any way zoomed in (or more accurately, if there are any scrollbars available on the map) generates the jumping around problem when the ctrl+click button has been pressed whilst stepping through a logfile, oh and the page-down button stops responding to jump through log-files if you click on the map after clicking the log-stepper button.

Anyway - always happy to chat, our timezones make it a little tricky as I think you're 8 hours or so behind us, but just let us know if you want to schedule something.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Lol
Yeah,
I've tried recoloring the winter boards to a more grayish color to be more easy on the eyes.... Not in the color palette of vasl....

Your brown looks so much better!!

" This Guy" button has always been a problem for me as well. The only fix is not to use it hardly ever. I've found it better just to identify the hex and the unit therein, just like a real board.
Lol I've asked opponents not to use it because of that and then they click it and realize they did and then apologize. LOL

Tell me a time that is good for you.
The best time would likely to be your morning.
Between 6-10am your time could work unless you are a night owl.
Then 10-2am could work on weekends.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Well considering I don't personally know Dave and a LOT of experienced ASLers never used VASL because you know FtF is the ONLY way to play and this thing called Covid has forced an old dog to learn new tricks...

I merely meant do you use it often?
The bouncing This Guy button, I've bitched about literally for years....I just don't have 8000 posts to be noticed.

And in the same token, PM is a thing to use at times, to minimize the static in a post thread. Are you super new to the internet?
I look at the statistics for this site and don't even have a clue what some of them mean.
"Points" , is this a game? it explains the short meaningless posts at times.
I have a RB to read and videos to edit.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just watched this as I slowly catch up on back episodes. Highly entertaining stuff with some really hilarious comments along the way. Martin's feigned surprise when Dave's Panther failed to keep ROF after reeling off about five consecutive shots was brilliant.
On the last turn, I wonder whether the Russians missed an opportunity to improve their chances of detonating the DC against the German squad on the upper floor? If the Russian T34 rolls into VBM in Z1 while CE as the first action of the Russian MPh, it freezes the squad unless the Germans manage to destroy it. Obviously all sorts of things can happen but the chance of failed MCs due to backblast alone gives the Russians a better chance of seizing the building than relying on the T34 using bounding fire to break the upper level squad with a 3 using bounding fire after the DC placement attempt fails. Indeed, they can try for the same shot en route if they want. Worst case scenario is that the HS manages to find a PF to kill the T34 but the Russians are no worse off with regard to placing the DC than in the actual game. If the AFV survives, the DC attack cannot be avoided. Of course, if the HS survives backblast and AFPh fire, the Russians might still have to win a 4-1 attack in CC...

Last edited: