IIFT tourney

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I seem to recall a tourney (Europe?) where the IIFT is the default for all play. Do I remember that right, or is it an urban legend?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that it was mandatory in a Scandinavian tourney.
I remember Ole Boe mentioning it - so it is rather about old times indeed.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I seem to recall one ASLOK were two Scandinavian folks damn near came to physical blows "discussing" the IFT/IIFT issue.......

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
At Grenadier the IFT takes precedence if one of the players insists. But I reckon that maybe 40% of the games are played using the IIFT with CTC.

von Marwitz

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scandinavian Open is the only tournament where I am aware that IIFT was default for many years, not sure if that is still the case now.

I am not entirely sure about ASL Ring in Lille......

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Scandianavian Open and itASLia. ItASLia after a few years turned to optional IFT/IIFT too

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I seem to recall a tourney (Europe?) where the IIFT is the default for all play. Do I remember that right, or is it an urban legend?
In Copenhagen, 1998-2002 the house rule IIFT would be used if one of the players demanded it. 2003-2012 the house rule IIFT-CTC was introduced. The house rule was abolished 2013-2018, never to return...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In Copenhagen, 1998-2002 the house rule IIFT would be used if one of the players demanded it. 2003-2012 the house rule IIFT-CTC was introduced. The house rule was abolished 2013-2018, never to return...
Thanks for clearing that up.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Scandinavian Open is the only tournament where I am aware that IIFT was default for many years, not sure if that is still the case now.

I am not entirely sure about ASL Ring in Lille......
IIFT is not the default Fire table any more. We changed that in 2013 hoping to attract new players from those regions where IIFT-users are considered Evil :). The IFT is default but the optional IIFT is used in quite a lot of games if players agree.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You have capitulated to the Swedish demands, acknowledging by the same token your status of vassals to your northern Scandinavian masters. So sad :)

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
You have capitulated to the Swedish demands, acknowledging by the same token your status of vassals to your northern Scandinavian masters. So sad :)
:) Fake News ! :)
We were, honestly, trying to make our tournament more appealling to mainly american players. Hoping to see some of them cross the pond to our little event. We will always listen to feedback and suggestions and seek inspiration from other tournaments, but in the end we try to do what we consider best for our tournament.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
:) Fake News ! :)
We were, honestly, trying to make our tournament more appealling to mainly american players. Hoping to see some of them cross the pond to our little event. We will always listen to feedback and suggestions and seek inspiration from other tournaments, but in the end we try to do what we consider best for our tournament.
That is a wise decision. There is no reason at all to make IIFT the standard table of any tournament. If two players prefer it, let them have it their way.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We were, honestly, trying to make our tournament more appealling to mainly american players.
Then it has been a failure as only one player (two in good years) is coming on average. There are more profound reasons explaining non-participation (time, money or culture from highest to lowest).

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Then it has been a failure as only one player (two in good years) is coming on average. There are more profound reasons explaining non-participation (time, money or culture from highest to lowest).
That is true. Might be fair to say that we just didnt want the IIFT to be a deterrent.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is true. Might be fair to say that we just didnt want the IIFT to be a deterrent.
The IIFT is just like A.16 Battlefield Integrity.

I have never seen that optional rule declared a tournament standard. But if two players pre-agree to record their infantry losses and roll for ELR reduction during their tournament game to have a more enjoyable experience, why would anyone object. Recording stuff is fun!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

I have never seen that optional rule declared a tournament standard. But if two players pre-agree to record their infantry losses and roll for ELR reduction during their tournament game to have a more enjoyable experience, why would anyone object. Recording stuff is fun!
Just for the record:

If I would ever run a tournament, IIFT with CTC would be the default. Of course with people free to agree to use the IFT. Furthermore the use of precision dice would not be encouraged, but people could use them. People 'insisting' to use shared dice, dice towers etc. for both players would be turned down. Either they mutually agree or everybody does it according to his preference. Rules issues would likely be settled according to 'Perry Sez' if applicable - despite them being 'only' to MMP's best knowledge and 'officially from' MMP while not being 'official errata by' MMP.

Not everyone has taken flight yet?

Don't worry - I'll be busy clipping counters for quite some time... ;)

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance

Regarding tournament eligibility, i would say the special rules of DTF are a much larger encroachment on standard rules than the IIFT. Make no mistake, I do like them :nod: