If you play solo; how honest are you?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So I do a lot of solo play. The thing I find is that it is much harder to play a completely honest game than if you play an opponent. I find myself going back to correct mistakes, giving the odd mulligan and generally playing laxly. I suppose I *could* be much harder on myself and play completely by the book but it is much more difficult!

If you play solo are you completely disciplined or not?

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
If you are playing solo the only criteria is do you enjoy yourself. If 'cheating' leads to more fun for you - then cheat.

Even if you are playing to learn the rules or to analyze a scenario for play against another player you can still take back moves that don't work out. Re-rolling dice is more moot but if you get a malfed SW early on and it is critical I'd still undo it without qualms because while it might happen in a game it probably won't.

I play only solo and I sometimes 'cheat' if it means I enjoy it more. Don't sweat it.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So I do a lot of solo play. The thing I find is that it is much harder to play a completely honest game than if you play an opponent. I find myself going back to correct mistakes, giving the odd mulligan and generally playing laxly. I suppose I *could* be much harder on myself and play completely by the book but it is much more difficult!

I am glad that thanks to VASL the times of playing solo are over for me. But when I did, the story you relate is about the same as mine. But I think there is no problem with it as the only one who has to be ok with it is oneself. Usually, it is not too difficult to agree with oneself... ;)

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I insist on an iron discipline in my solo play. I average about 100 scenarios a year, half of them solo and half of them opposed; basically one of each per week, give or take. My soloing is primarily for enjoyment of 'The Game', and secondarily for learning new rules and the tactics that go with them.

I've found myself Prepping or Opportunity Firing everyone in a certain sector and belatedly realizing I did not fire at a key broken unit to DM him; a unit very likely to Self-Rally next turn and be a pain in the butt for me. I also did not leave anyone on that flank unfired, so as to move past him and apply the DM in the MPh. "No takebacks!" I will realize my short-sightedness, curse myself, but hold myself to it, realizing that a tourney (or friendly) oppo is not going to allow me to take back a Prepped unit after I have already fired and rolled the dice.

As to the early Malfing of a critical piece cited above, I never 'correct' it. I feel the need to see if the scenario is still winnable upon suffering this stroke of fate. When your lone AT Gun Malfs, you suddenly become much more detailed and deliberate in your usage of Infantry vs AFV combat. You are forced into honing your use even sharper of something you don't use as much, or at least were not overly expecting to have to use.

In short, if you only play solo, I can not see that it would matter which takebacks and mulligans one applies; the enjoyment of playing is paramount. I feel that if you play both solo and opposed, and wish to give you and your opponents the best game possible, you are shortchanging yourself with solo mulligans and takebacks. One is not preparing oneself for the realities and tribulations you will face in contested play.

JMHO, if it only applies to me, so be it.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hmm, I'm not even that disciplined when it comes to opposed play, in that if one player forgets to roll to rally some unit, or recover some weapon, or fire some DMing shot at a broken unit, we usually go back for it. If I did any serious amount of solo play, I'd most likely be roughly as strict about it...

But I really have a hard time playing both sides of a scenario. Anytime there are concealed/hip units, or a "trap" somewhere, I just can't play honestly vs myself. So when I setup a solo scenario, it's mostly to play a few turns and see how some setup ideas play out.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Sometimes :nod:!

It depends upon my humour, why I am playing and whether it's a published scenario or DYO.

If it's trying out a tactic or a force composition then I could play fast and loose with re-dos. Basically trying to roll a spread of results in one 'game'. I sometimes even do that with a published scenario just to see the range of possibilities .

There are other times I play very seriously, if appropriate with various semi-randomising HIP determining methods, etc. Even still I often forget some B# or Sniper stuff.

In the end a solo play is for amusement, nobody to feel cheated and hopefully I learn something about what works and what doesn't in ASL. A real bonus would be to get some insight into why a similar historical occurrence worked for an apparently disadvantaged side.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I insist on an iron discipline in my solo play. I average about 100 scenarios a year, half of them solo and half of them opposed; basically one of each per week, give or take. My soloing is primarily for enjoyment of 'The Game', and secondarily for learning new rules and the tactics that go with them.

I've found myself Prepping or Opportunity Firing everyone in a certain sector and belatedly realizing I did not fire at a key broken unit to DM him; a unit very likely to Self-Rally next turn and be a pain in the butt for me. I also did not leave anyone on that flank unfired, so as to move past him and apply the DM in the MPh. "No takebacks!" I will realize my short-sightedness, curse myself, but hold myself to it, realizing that a tourney (or friendly) oppo is not going to allow me to take back a Prepped unit after I have already fired and rolled the dice.

As to the early Malfing of a critical piece cited above, I never 'correct' it. I feel the need to see if the scenario is still winnable upon suffering this stroke of fate. When your lone AT Gun Malfs, you suddenly become much more detailed and deliberate in your usage of Infantry vs AFV combat. You are forced into honing your use even sharper of something you don't use as much, or at least were not overly expecting to have to use.

In short, if you only play solo, I can not see that it would matter which takebacks and mulligans one applies; the enjoyment of playing is paramount. I feel that if you play both solo and opposed, and wish to give you and your opponents the best game possible, you are shortchanging yourself with solo mulligans and takebacks. One is not preparing oneself for the realities and tribulations you will face in contested play.

JMHO, if it only applies to me, so be it.
This is my take, I try and be as honest as I can be, which means I am brutal with it, I add x amount f extra '?' To the other sides OB and set up as blind as I can, leave it for a day or two so I will forget where everything is and go from there.
Minefields are tricky, and I have not yet come up with a good way of doing this solo.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
This is my take, I try and be as honest as I can be, which means I am brutal with it, I add x amount f extra '?' To the other sides OB and set up as blind as I can, leave it for a day or two so I will forget where everything is and go from there.
Minefields are tricky, and I have not yet come up with a good way of doing this solo.
Come up with a percentile figure and use D100 for every hex moved to/searched. Arbitrary but when I was Nobby No Mates it's what I did

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes :nod:!

It depends upon my humour, why I am playing and whether it's a published scenario or DYO.
Good delineation. My answer above was regarding solo play of a published scenario; no takebacks, no redos. On many occasions I have set up tactical problems independent of any particular scenario. In these cases I still do not do singular takebacks/redos, but do a lot of set-up/teardown; play two or three turns, scrap it, and go again. Anecdotally, it appears quite a few players have went through the solo set-up/teardown of how to cross a city street successfully with 'x' troops on 'your' side, and 'y' troops on the 'other' side. One eventually learns to bring a variety of rules and capabilities to bear in order to do so with the greatest chances of success; i.e. Opp Fire, Dash, smoke grenades, bump scouts, etc. Then you try this against opposition and further refine it as necessary.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think I've cheated until I rolled up the third KV-1, after that expect tin cans.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hi Chris, I've done all sorts of combinations of single re-dos, set-up/teardowns and strictly no reversions. On more than a few occasions I have got tired of how things were going and speed run through the remaining turns being reckless about Sniper, B#, Duds. Other times I have done a mulligan or two per side because a critical B11 weapon breaks and 'spoils' the run for me. I still take note of such events as they teach me not to rely too much on brittle items and make me think how I can allow for that in more 'serious' playings.

For HIP items I use pairs of unused nationality "?" counters. Let us say I am doing German vs Soviet with 2 hidden Soviet guns. I would pick the first 12 (A-L) British and Japanese 5/8" counters. Dividing into 2 matching sets of 6 (A-F, G-L) of British and Japanese, the Japanese go into a cup, the Japanese are drawn one by one, covered by any of British and placed where I would think of putting a HIP gun. The end result is 12 pairs of British over Japanese counters, the British visible, the Japanese hidden and unknown. When a suitable target appears, remove the British counter and reveal the Japanese one. If it's "A" or "G" then it's a gun which is fired and placed according to the normal HIP rules A12.34. I often use 6 possible locations per gun, but any number > 1 can be used, it's not dr/DR based. Indeed if you wish you could have, say, 8 pairs and put down 6 pairs each in a different location and 2 pairs in one further location if you felt that that last location is one you would most likely pick in a 'real' game. In that case if either of the two unknown Japanese "?" are "A" then it's a gun. As long as the number of possible locations swamp the highest number of 'chances' in any one location by a factor of roughly 3+, then I feel it's sufficiently randomised and unpredictable.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I play solo games exclusively, and play strictly to the rules; no take backs, no re-rolls.

I play the game for the enjoyment, and like to see were the scenario goes, even with the occasional glaring rules mistake or missed opportunity.

My most common errors are (not in any order): rolling for the 'wrong' unit in self-rally (i.e. another unit has a better chance or more pressing need to rally that turn);
not changing CE/BU;
missing sniper rolls;
forgetting to move/fire a particular unit (doesn't happen often, but usually in high-density counter scenarios);

As you can see, it's mostly memory failure that is the problem; this can be good and bad, for example:

I completely forgot to move an AFV in a recent game (not critical to the result, but it was out of the action in the mid-game period)

But in the same game, my attackers were shy of crossing the street due to a concealment counter in an opposite building, prepfire & smoke were laid on, attacking infantry dashed over, and the concealed unit was a 7-0 leader that I had assumed was a full squad (when I went to fire at an attacker, he could only sit there).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Solo play can actually be very dynamic and tense - contrary to popular belief. If I was to play strictly according to the rules it would bump up the tension threefold. Its impossible not to get involved and take sides when soloing. So that when a SW breaks it hurts just like if you are playing an opponent. If the pressure was increased by 100% honesty then I'd probably jack the game in due to stress! lol.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Solo play can actually be very dynamic and tense - contrary to popular belief. If I was to play strictly according to the rules it would bump up the tension threefold. Its impossible not to get involved and take sides when soloing. So that when a SW breaks it hurts just like if you are playing an opponent. If the pressure was increased by 100% honesty then I'd probably jack the game in due to stress! lol.
Funny how this is... taking sides during solo play. But what you say is so very true!

This is a great thread, Honza, and was happy to read through it this morning. To volgaG68, thanks for your post. I think I've always allowed myself a little "flexibility" in solo play, but I am liking your rod-of-iron approach as a tool for becoming a better ASL player. I will put such self-discipline high on my resolution list this New Year's!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hell, Jan, I cheat when I play other people. Why shouldn't I cheat when I play myself?

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'm ruthlessly strict with dice rolls in my solo play. It think it helps make it easier to roll with the punches and keep my cool in FtF play. Also, there's the challenge and fun of dealing with unexpected adversity.