If you only had one war game...

Larkin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warhammer 40K, defenitly. The hobby as a whole is so vast that it has something for everyone.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I can take all scenarios I can download - TOAW.

If I have to edit my own - CMAK, if I can also have a debugger, or TacOps.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would give the person Steel Panthers. Easy to get started and it will get you hooked on wargames for sure. Then when they are begging for more I will hand them TOAW:COW and a bunch of downloaded scenarios. I love the scenarios TOAW has, I am playing one about a situation in Zimbabwe!! From the obscure to the widely know military situations it's a wargamer's dream. Then I will give them the Combat Mission series and let them jump for joy!!

Oppps, you said just one.....well I couldn't help it! :devious:

BigMik1

Scout Out

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TOAW-COW would be the one computer game.:hurray:
World in Flames the one Boardgame. :clap:
One deck of Playing Cards :joy: as backup in case of power failure or worse. :cry:

Patrocles

Reaction score
well...from the few wargames I sampled I would have to say Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. I've never tried TOAW but it sounds quite good from all the positive commments.

RhondaBrwn

Reaction score
Talonsoft for Beginners!

If I was trying to get someone hooked on computer wargaming, I would start with Talonsoft's Gettysburg (Battleground Series). It's a bit dated, but:

1. Extremely popular topic (can combine exposure to the game with a viewing of the Gettysburg movie).

2. Decent graphics and sound (even though you eventually want to turn off the videos)which makes it visually appealing.

3. Historically accurate so you can read about the battle and then relive the action.

4. Game mechanics are fairly simple and easily taught.

Games like COAW are great, but really a bit overwhelming for someone getting their first exposure to wargaming.

Talonsoft's Campaign Series would be my next choice if someone really likes the idea of modern warfare and small unit action.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
TAOW: COW if only the company could continue improving the game or release the code :cry: