If you only had one war game...

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not what you think the thread will be…

If you had one war game to get someone hooked on war gaming what would it be?

Right now I would say Memoir ’44! This is subject to change with time though!

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As web editor I suppose I should try to branch out, but I've found almost all I need in a game with TOAW: ACOW. I hate to sound like a broken record next to Tigersqn, but it truly is one of the best games ever made (at least to those of us who suffer the addiction).

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, I don't think I could do it.

In the spirit of the question, though, I'd have to put forward my immediate thought, which is ASL. There really is a lifetime of content there, so I answer on that merit more than it being one of my favorite games.

On the PC side -- Talonsoft's Campaign Series games. Hands down. Imperfect in many regards, but there are few PC wargames that approach their replay value (TOAW being one).

-Pete

freightshaker

Reaction score
As for comp games; Steel Panthers: World at War. Board games; Russian Campaign. Both are simple, can change rapidly, and are ultimately replayable.

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HASL RED BARRICADES

While I'd be tempted to say ASL in general, I'd consider myself to be cheating on the spirit of the question which is confined to a single GAME.

So I'd pick "Red Barbeque"...the best Historical ASL game of the lot. Could play it a lifetime and still never get tired of it. Not only do have a good bit of scenario material, but you get the campaign games...and they never play the same!

--emw

ericmwalters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One more thing....

A bit of philosophy. Yes, you can get people hooked on complicated games provided you are an expert and help them through it. ASL is a "comic book brought to life" and so many improbable things happen that it's hard for a newbie not to think it's all in the dice...and both sides get quite a few little triumphs and tribulation, no matter who wins the scenario/campaign game.

Just thought I'd spell that out.

--emw

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few things:

Yes, I agree you can have a complex game to introduce someone to war gaming. I like the comment about ASL being a comic book brought to life. It is very true.

I have personally found it easier to start off with a short quick game to wet the appetite and then more onto the more complex games.

TOAW is great! Yes it is an addiction. My only problem is I have all the older versions and when I upgraded to Windows XP they no longer work. I have a Linux install too but getting Wine to work right is proving to be troubling. I am looking at getting the TOAW:ACW and that should handle everything.

I love the fact that so many scenarios are out there for TOAW!

Pete G

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TOAW is great! Yes it is an addiction. My only problem is I have all the older versions and when I upgraded to Windows XP they no longer work.
Have you tried running it in emulation mode (right-clicking on desktop icon --> Properties --> Compatability Tab)? I've done this with Campaign Series and have had few issues to date.

-Pete

jguritza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have but it still does not want to work. I am toying with installing a dual operating system with a stable windows 98 to run the game...

Viking67

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ohhh. Toughie. I'd choose either Axis & Allies: D-Day or Diplomacy.

Thank God we don't only have to have just one!

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As of now, I would take TOAW:CoW to the proverbial lonely island (and solar cells for the laptop) :cool:

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
If it was someone who was already a PC gamer I would choose 'Highway to the Reich' due to its 'real-time' nature, intuitive interface and easy learning curve. For a total novice I suppose something like 'Axis and Allies' might do the trick.

switch_back

Reaction score
Country
ll
I choose TacOps, its detailed and easy to pick up, with a very intuative interface. So the person I would be hypothetically introducing to wargaming would be able to concentrate on the fun of the tactics whilst the combat system handles the other little niggly details that comes out in wargaming.

You can also see results very quickly in TacOps which is what a new person needs to get into wargaming :D

I know you said one wargame but to advance the person's interest I would let them play POA2, and show the extreme detail levels that you take a wargame too.

If someone is going to like wargaming I believe they need to see detail and realism with out spending a long time to get results.

Personally if I were a newbie to wargaming, I would be quite put off by the likes of POA2 TOAW and Decisive Action, because the initial workload is way too much, IMHO. :D

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think I would start with TOAW and than let the person play some easy scenarios first, like the tiny Grenada or the 'there is no way to lose' Desert Storm '91 :D Later, once the person if firmly addicted, we can go on to more complex stuff like 2Weeks in Normandy or EA and in the end come up with GiO, DNO or FitE :smoke:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I would use ATTACK! from Eagle games for strategic-level wargaming. It is a more involved game of Risk, and it adds a naval component as well as an in-depth economic and strategic model.

For operational-level game (Division/Corps), nothing beats Decisive Action from HPS Simulations.

For a tactical-level game, I would go with either Raging Tiger or any of the other "Armored Task Force" Series computer games from ProSIM Company(natch), Highway to the Reich from Panther Games, or TacOps from Battlefront.com.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well the trick is to get someone to obsess over wargaming in the traditional way now isn't it.

So it has to be blindingly easy, completely simple, and sfficient that they want "more".

So my choices would be thus.

Get them a copy of the original Squad Leader and see if they become an ASL fanatic enough to warrant mention ASL Starter kit 1

Get them a copy of Strategic Command, and see if they are the thinking type of strategist.

Those two options are fairly inexpensive, and will tell you a lot about what the person really enjoys.

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Aries said:
Well the trick is to get someone to obsess over wargaming in the traditional way now isn't it.
You mean like strip-wargaming against a beautiful girl and whoever loses an important replacement city has to lose some clothes as well?? Yepp, that actually might work :D