If you had only the choice of one HASL to play, which would it be?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

So yes there are a crap ton of HASL's out there, BUT if you only had the choice of playing one HASL and no other, which HASL would you play? For me, if I had only one choice, I would choose Red Berricades/ Factories. The tension starts on turn one and does not let up that is for sure.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
First of all, I will answer which are my favorite theaters or battles of war:
  1. Italian: Cassino et al.
  2. Arnhem
  3. Normandy
  4. Berlin
  5. Stalingrad
Said that, sometimes I play for the competition (ie: balanced) and sometimes for the replaying of historical situations. So, my favorites, by comprehensive, detailed and flavor motives are:
  1. Red Factories
  2. Berlin 1 and 2 (CH)
  3. Maxim Gorky
  4. Kampfgruppe Scherer
  5. St Nazaire
  6. Westerplatte
Red Factories is the one that has all: Good map, good scenarios, CGs, and fine design. But Berlin is a feast, no matter wihich is the balance, when you're playing ALL the battle; Gorky is a challenge; KG Scherer is complex and subtle; St Nazaire is vibrant; Westerplatte... play as a historical AAR and see what a sieged without relief could endure. I have, but not played, Fortress Cassino and Carnage at Cassino; but I would like to see a more comprehensive HASL of this battle, not only parts of it...
But you ever can return to old Stalingrad with RF...

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
This used to be an easy choice: Red Barricades, however I've played that a lot in the past, so I think I'd go with Green Hell of Inor.
The replay value is clearly there, it's a cool map, early war, interesting troops & SSRs.
Not that RB/Red Factories lacks in anything, just that Inor will take a long time to get to the well known place that Stalingrad occupies.

Luckily I don't have to only ever play one. :)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
For me, Stalingrad rules so it would be Red Factories (especially RB) and Valor of the Guards.

A shoutout out to Tom Morin's Rees HASL in Dispatch #44, I've had several players say they were playing it this past year and having a ton of fun with it. A very manageable campaign on a cool board many have not seen and worth checking out.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Operation Veritable is the best CG I've played so far.

Honourable mentions to Kampfgruppe Scherer and Purple Heart Draw.

Hoping Manila will be in the conversation but it's not hit the table yet. Ditto Hatten.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Hatten is very fun, but I think I’d prefer VotG if I only got 1 HASL to choose from.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
KGS scherer for me. Fantastic maps, great tension. Ok, it’s got some chrome rules, but you’ve gotta love it.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
KGS is an example of extra counters done right. Ski troops and all the pieces are for a campaign, so you can use them for a long campaign while freeing up your others for everyday use.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to go with Festung Budapest. Hands down my favorite HASL. Bill Cirillo (w/ able assistance from Sean) is my favorite scenario designer.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if it's actually a HASL (since it lacks several key features), or more of a super-scenario bundle, but I'm going with Poland in Flames. If that doesn't count it's probably Red Factories, with honorable mentions to Inor, Budapest & Orsha.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Pegasus Bridge for it's balance and easy playability.

Purple Heart Draw for the interesting nature of the Campaign Game even though I think it's very unbalanced if your German opponent knows how to defend and if you both understand and apply the Bocage rules correctly.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Red Factories for me for sure, it's a classic
it's also the only HASL that I have ever played

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I'd have to go with Red Factories.

Although I'm enjoying Manila, but have only played 1 scenario so far, and no CGs yet, so I can't put it as my favorite atm.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The most fun I have had with a HASL is with my own design of a CG based on Iwo Jima. I would love to make it available to everyone someday....but the chore of concisely writing up all the rules proves too daunting.