If someone were to want to make a Korean War mod for the SP series..

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which engine would you prefer to see it done with? A lot of things need to be taken into consideration, between SP:WAW H2H, and SP:MBT. There are much more terrain features available in WAW, but in MBT there are easier editing for orbats, with the LBM and icon able to be seen as you work. Either one would require a prior install of either one, then overwriting LBM, Shp, and orbats to use it. I had started working on this last year, using H2H as the engine, but it's hard to edit the mech.exe to add correct names for leaders, and edit ranks like MBT, also the dates if WAW were used, would be 1940-43, instead of 50's, since it's coded in how dates are displayed. I was able to make the editor display the correct dates, but not the main program. The finished DL would not be the whole game, but most likely just shps, orbats, LBM's, and any terrain modifications. Any input would be appreciated, as I would like to get back into this, since I ordered Gordon Rottmans Korean War work.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am just guessing, but I think I would possibly suggest a Korea attempt might be best served with MBT.

This is just me thinking, but isn't it easier to edit out design elements of the modern that might not be wished for Korea, than to try to put in design elements of the Korea era that were not already present in the game?

I am unsure if WaW has the capacity already or not (so you would have to tell me).

I am a fan of WaW because it likes XP among other things. But I am not an enemy of MBT or WW2 version for that matter.
I think WaW has better graphics, but graphics is not everything.

Either way I would like to see your effort materialise.

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At first I was thinking of using MBT also, then I had a look in the mapeditor, they could use many more terrain types. Then, there's the steel.prf hassles, where in WAW you can single click to change, not a real big issue but, a point against MBT. Then there are all the breakdown extra's in WAW, the easy addition of stereo sounds etc. Since Korean War era was mostly armed with a lot of ex-WW2 equipment, using WAW won't be detrimental at all, of course not having helicopters will be a minus, but they didn't play a real huge role in it anyway. MBT would be good since it already has the correct years, easy to edit with shp and pic readily viewable as you edit, better AI, maps are made better generated, extra zoom. You can seem my dilemma, right now, the overwhelming feature to use WAW is the terrain, MBT doesn't even have walls, or trails, among quite a few other terrain features. Right now, if MBT had those features, I would probably go with it in a heart-beat. Most folk over at the blitz are pro WAW to use for the mod, so I appreciate your insight to using MBT, I want to be objective as I can about the final decision!!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is one strike in favour of MBT assuming it is also like WW2 version with greater range of elevation.

Korea was a definitely not flat country. I have not actually noticed it to be a problem when playing (with either WaW or WW2).

I agree, most gear was WW2 era. Helicopters were really only used in a noticable way in the manner we see in Mash.
I could see it being easier to not include them and ignore the problem.

There was jet aircraft in use though, although I think ground support roles were still unclear. Sabres and Migs were only good for mixing it up with each other basically. Trying to kill yourself over the ability to have a jet hit a ground position might not be worth it.

I have played a few games of Steel Panthers in Korean settings though. It is possible you need only expand on what is already present.

I am thinking in terms of you trying your hand at what would be a Mega Campaign concept using MBT software.
I will confess though, I have no idea what magnitude a notion that would be.

With Combat Leader defacto halting all manner of WaW Mega Campaigns (for the obvious reasons), you won't have trouble possibly finding some of the modern crowd wanting to join in on this. How far afield have you made your interests known.

Last edited:

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, Korea was definitely NOT flat, I know, I humped all over the place there in the Marines in the '80's!! I really love the hills in camo groups releases, but I think the other plus's in WAW at this point are going to override the hills, there simply isn't enough other vital terrain available in the camo series map editor.:(

Jet's won't be a problem in WAW either, since the capability is already present, so that's a good thing!

Unfortunately a megacampaign is out of the question, since they require special coding, which I have no idea how to do!!

So far I've only mentioned this here, and also the blitz site, and also at JP's forums, since most of this hinges on how good of a reference the Gordon Rottman book I ordered is on the subject! I didn't get into it over at Matrix either yet, for the same reason.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
well a "defacto Mega" might be beyond you, but then what I know of coding is simple to state:) Nadda heheh.

What is your objective Warhorse?

Is it just to provide Korean maps and relevant orders of battle?

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is your objective Warhorse?
Mostly as you stated, a solely korean War era modification, of oob's, maps, (as much as is possible with code limitations), and hopefully the campaign generator. This will be as historically accurate as I can get it, no 'what-if's', aside from the fact I was thinking of leaving Russia in, for scenario design possible intervention on the Russians part. I've been gathering a lot of material in the last year, I believe I can do this, but it won't be any short time. I'm hoping to change all the menu screens to reflecta unique flavor to the era also. I am excited about this, and can't wait to get back intot the design of it. As far as requirements, a previous install of SPWAWH2H mod will needed, as I am going to use this as the base. Thanks for your repeated insight Les, this helps me immensely by bringing to mind things I might not think of on my own!!

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As itis possible, you have a decent library, I won't expect to much will interest you, but I do in fact have quite an impressive library of my own, and I possess some fairly good reference books that focus on Korea.

I will work up a list to post later, and you can let me know if any of them possess any potential for you.

My books range from historical texts, to modeller based equipment reference texts.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
List is a bit shorter than I thought it might be actually heheh.

Herbert - The Making of a Soldier (hardcover autobio by Anthony B Herbert) was supposed to be the then most decorated US soldier (I no not the accuracy of the claim though). Personal experiences during Korea.

Marine! story of Chesty Puller, includes his time in Korea. Softcover nonfiction.

East of Chosin Entrappment and breakout 1950 by Roy E Appleman Lt Col retired Aus Hardcover non fiction.

The four dueces by C S Crawford. Recolections of service in Korea Hardcover.

Korea: Canada's Forgotten War by John Melady Hardcover non fiction.

Illustrated History of Military Vehicles by Ian V Hogg and John Weeks. Hardcover technical reference possessing a sea of the unusual odd and the obscure along with the well known. Lots of B&W images.

Armour In Korea A Pictoral History by Jim Mesko. A visual model making hard cover plenty of art works.

Soviet tanks and military vehicles 1946 to the present (which was a while back now). Extensive amount of not common data and images. Stephen J Zaloga (well known name to modeller reference).

If you know of these titles cool. If you are looking for some piece of data and think I might be able to look through those and fathom it for you let me know.

I can attempt some scans if they end up being of any use.

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Les,

I see some friends I recognize, and quite a few I don't!! If the work you have on Canada goes into any detailed info on platoon, or company level units, or any info on weapons used, that would be invaluable! The armor in Korea I don't have either, althoguh I have one similar, but images would be great if you could get some jpegs? Any pics also of the Canucks, some infantry, etc just a smattering, I don't want to be a burden, that would be great! I just got the Rottman book today, looks like it will do the trick for the most part, a very good work indeed.

Now, to get it in gear, and start moddin'!! Thanks for all your assistance.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sorry for slow response Warhorse (to be honest I don't come to Warfare HQ to frequently normally).

Will look and see what I can get ahold for you on some details that you mentioned.

Warhorse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL!! No, please don't sweat it my friend, I too don't frequent this forum either as it's unfortunately very slow:( Thanks for your time!

Warhorse

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Warhorse said:
LOL!! No, please don't sweat it my friend, I too don't frequent this forum either as it's unfortunately very slow:( Thanks for your time!

Warhorse
I imagine it's going to pick up quite a bit when the release of Combat Leader draws nearer.