If a prisoner isn't on the board, does it still exist?

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A2.6... Units which leave the mapboard [EXC: glider contents (E8.5); paratroops (E9.41)] may not return.

I don't think the leader prisoner is actually leaving the map board when you make a side note, however that's done. Otherwise he couldn't escape and return.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A2.6... Units which leave the mapboard [EXC: glider contents (E8.5); paratroops (E9.41)] may not return.

I don't think the leader prisoner is actually leaving the map board when you make a side note, however that's done. Otherwise he couldn't escape and return.
That's very interesting. Nice.🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I read A 7.301 KIA, D 8.1 Immobilization and D10.1 Creation of Wrecks for the specific wording of how units that suffered the effects of that rule were treated. Eliminated is the word used.

This was just a follow up from some quick thoughts at lunch. The line of thought was what is the wording used for units that are removed from a board. KIA and vehicles with no Wreck depiction were all that came to mind. There are most likely others but frankly right now I am too tired to search for them. Captain Bacchus and I will see what we can come up with.

I'm only viewing this topic as an interesting rules question. I have no cat in this fight. I dont mean to offend anyone and am only looking at this through the lens of someone who spent a lot of time playtesting the rules.

Although after the pounding I took on the Allied Troops thread you'd think I'd stay out of rules discussions.🤔😉🤣🤣🤣
I edited this to read " I read " instead of " Read " as I felt it was telling people to read that rules section instead of me saying I had read them. I'm just getting a little lazy with my pronouns and don't want to give the wrong impression.

Calvin and Hobbes cartoon the other day. Calvin wants Hobbes to help him with his homework. He asks Hobbes what a pronoun is. Hobbes thinks about it and replies " A noun that has given up it's amateur status. " Calvin ponders that for a second and replies " Maybe I'll get a point for creativity. " LMFAO I love that comic strip.🤣🤣🤣

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have those, and some very early (check out the pixels!) ones:
And I attached a PDF of some DIY "Prisoner" counters. Put on one top of your captured enemy SMC and there's no need for a side record! :)

I think I found some history behind the "side note", and why just being stacked above an enemy unit isn't enough: in ASLRBv1, SMC were not automatically rearmed when they escaped -- the first sentence of A20.551 was added in v2, and a similar bit was added to the Index entry for "Unarmed". So in v1 you needed to note that such a SMC unarmed and would not prevent enemy units from routing towards it, etc.

Attachments

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

I've only been able to give this a little thought but I really think you've uncovered the rule that may close this discussion. Really very well done Sir!🤗🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed seeing the TPPs SMC Prisoner counters you guys posted. Thanks again!🤗

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Notwithstanding that I started this thread, I thought that discussion of prisoner SMC was a bit esoteric and unlikely to be significant in any actual games. Not any more. Next time a SMC offers to surrender to my troops, it will receive a bullet between its eyes. Picture the scene: the Germans are in a woods hex containing a Stug with a broken machine gun, a 5-4-8 and a 2-3-8 guarding a prisoner half squad and a wounded US 8-1 leader. Instead of being grateful to the Germans for their chivalry in sparing their comrades' lives, a US Meat Chopper complete with its IFE of 24 attacks them from 3 hex range as bounding first fire. Two 12+1 attacks l (and two missed defensive fire shots by the Stug) later, the 5-4-8 is broken and the 2-3-8 plus prisoner half squad are dead. The prisoner SMC however has survived and is now unguarded. Per A20.551, it is immediately re-armed because the broken 5-4-8 cannot take over guard duties. The wounded leader survives a 16+1 shot from an adjacent squad toting a LMG and the broken 5-4-8 accordingly has to rout away. In the CCPh the leader inevitably rolls snakes eyes to turn the Stug into a burning wreck.:censored:
Game over.
Has to be most bizarre sequence of events ever. Unless of course anyone else knows better...

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As a general rule, it's usually best to declare NQ when a 9-2, 10-2, or 10-3 (and occasionally a commissar, especially if this will cripple your opponent's ability to rally brokies) attempts to surrender during a small- to medium-sized scenario. The main exception is in scenarios where prisoners still count double and these CVP represent a significant portion of the total VP that a side needs for a win. In this case, it's best to exit these high-value leaders asap (with a low-value Guard), or get them as far to the rear as possible--although a Sniper attack on the Guard could still ruin the day.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
As a general rule, it's usually best to declare NQ when a 9-2, 10-2, or 10-3 (and occasionally a commissar, especially if this will cripple your opponent's ability to rally brokies) attempts to surrender during a small- to medium-sized scenario. The main exception is in scenarios where prisoners still count double and these CVP represent a significant portion of the total VP that a side needs for a win. In this case, it's best to exit these high-value leaders asap (with a low-value Guard), or get them as far to the rear as possible--although a Sniper attack on the Guard could still ruin the day.
So while I think this is a good rule of thumb (I almost posted something similar) I think it is superseded by an even more important rule of thumb: you should ALMOST never declare NQ--even if it is a surrendering 10-3--if the VC require Building Control and the Buildings in question are multi-story buildings. You will almost always regret it if you do so. Just me .02 -- jim

PS: You can also leave the board via a Friendly Board Edge with the Prisoners in tow (A20.53).

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So while I think this is a good rule of thumb (I almost posted something similar) I think it is superseded by an even more important rule of thumb: you should ALMOST never declare NQ--even if it is a surrendering 10-3--if the VC require Building Control and the Buildings in question are multi-story buildings. You will almost always regret it if you do so. Just me .02 -- jim

PS: You can also leave the board via a Friendly Board Edge with the Prisoners in tow (A20.53).
No argument here. It's always situationally dependent, with multi-level building Control another good example. This is why I encouraged that they be exited pronto.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No argument here. It's always situationally dependent, with multi-level building Control another good example. This is why I encouraged that they be exited pronto.
That was the general plan. The only reason that the 5-4-8 and 2-3-8 were in the same hex was so that the 5-4-8 could transfer the prisoner HS to the 2-3-8 which already had the wounded 8-1 under lock and key, Or so they thought...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
That was the general plan. The only reason that the 5-4-8 and 2-3-8 were in the same hex was so that the 5-4-8 could transfer the prisoner HS to the 2-3-8 which already had the wounded 8-1 under lock and key, Or so they thought...
You May deploy at any time.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Those Chimeric prisoners certainly enable a long discussion.
The crazy thing about the situation that I described is that the Stug would have been safe if it was the prisoner half squad that survived while the leader was killed. As I understand the rules, the prisoners don't re-arm when their captor HS dies because they didn't take it out in close combat and the presence of the broken squad in the location prevents them from re-arming by "other means":
"20.551 REARMING: Escaped SMC are always Armed. One attacking Unarmed friendly unit of equal or smaller size is rearmed immediately for each armed enemy unit it eliminated/captured in CC (or by any other means if no other enemy unit is currently in the same Location),..."

So, in this case, one wounded officer is able to do more damage than five able bodied combat troops. Go figure. o_O

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
I have those, and some very early (check out the pixels!) ones:
View attachment 18380
And I attached a PDF of some DIY "Prisoner" counters. Put on one top of your captured enemy SMC and there's no need for a side record! :)

I think I found some history behind the "side note", and why just being stacked above an enemy unit isn't enough: in ASLRBv1, SMC were not automatically rearmed when they escaped -- the first sentence of A20.551 was added in v2, and a similar bit was added to the Index entry for "Unarmed". So in v1 you needed to note that such a SMC unarmed and would not prevent enemy units from routing towards it, etc.
Thank you Scott! Could Brian or Perry be persuaded to just add 6 white counters with the text "PRISONER" in the nearest upcoming module? There always seem to be a bit of space for extra counters in one of the countersheets.

Placing a captured crew or a leader counter on the guard, turned your way (as opposed to topside down as was suggested, which is the usual position when in CC/Melee if your opponent sits across from you), unbroken and marked with a universal white prisoner counter would just make things that much easier.