Identify the AT Gun

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A few clarifications however, the gunner was protected by the recoil guard because he was seated to the Left of the gun, and the tank commander was protected by the guard in his position at the center rear of the turret. The R/side of the guard is open to allow access for the loader who was positioned in the R/side of the Pzkw. III turret.
Indeed, that is absolutely correct. My previous answer has been slipshod.

von Marwitz

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
My gut feeling told me, too, that it was a KwK = Kampfwagen Kanone, i.e. a tank gun. This is why:

View attachment 19710View attachment 19710

The piece circled in red and tha round bar at the bottom is intended to protect the commandant of the tank (left) in the cramped turret as well as the gunner (right) from the recoil.

However, I was not expert enough to name the type of the gun without referring to my books (for which I was too lazy) before finishing to read the thread.

It turned out, I did not need to, because someone else did the work.
Well done.

von Marwitz
I think you are correct. And it being in a gun pit with 360 traverse. New counter for PB…

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Steven Zaloga in ‘The Devil’s Garden’ pages 79-81 has several pictures of these pedestal-mounted 50mm AT guns (5cm KwK Behelfssockellafette). From 1942 on about 1800 were used for coastal defense.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget to read "Pegasus Bridge" for Parr's handling of the gun.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Steven Zaloga in ‘The Devil’s Garden’ pages 79-81 has several pictures of these pedestal-mounted 50mm AT guns (5cm KwK Behelfssockellafette). From 1942 on about 1800 were used for coastal defense.
On the Rhine defense also. They also manufactured a static version of the PaK 40; but that one is a KwK39 indeed.

Even there are photos of the 88 intended for use in Jagdphanter converted to static mounts

Reactions: Del