Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe it is a 50mm PaK 38. The Pegasus Bridge scenario CG1 agrees with my memory.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
PaK 40 is 75mm and fairly long. I've been at Pegasus Bridge. I can tell you the barrel is not the right length for a PaK 40.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PaK 40 is 75mm and fairly long. I've been at Pegasus Bridge. I can tell you the barrel is not the right length for a PaK 40.
Per my note, it looks like the position was originally built by the French. Not sure if what was there originally was replaced by the Germans, or if they just appropriated it like they did a lot of other French armaments. If it is actually a Pak 40, then it got replaced sometime after Pak 40s were issued (after 1940, but before 1944). The gun shield doesn't look like the typical Pak 40 shield.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
It is the Pegasus Bridge gun. The problem is the sources keep referring to it as a 75mm. I agree with your reference to the length of the barrel not being long enough, but the breach seems too big for a 50mm.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Wally Parr's Gun at Pegasus Bridge...

Read: What d'ya do in the war Dad?
By Barry Parr (Wally's Son)
And I believe in one source Parr referred as a 75mm.

edit: just watched Parr at s 50th anniversary conference. He distinctly referred to it as a 50mm.

Last edited:

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took this photo when I was there in 2018 (original file was too large to upload directly). Doesn't look like a German breach mechanism or mount. French, or repurposed Czech or Russian gun? I don't remember seeing a lot of muzzle brakes on French ordnance.

Attachments

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
In the book “The Pegasus and Orne River Bridges", Parr states the AP shells were about 2 ft to 2 ft 6 in. In length.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Found these two, IDed as 50mm KwK 39…
My gut feeling told me, too, that it was a KwK = Kampfwagen Kanone, i.e. a tank gun. This is why:

The piece circled in red and tha round bar at the bottom is intended to protect the commandant of the tank (left) in the cramped turret as well as the gunner (right) from the recoil.

However, I was not expert enough to name the type of the gun without referring to my books (for which I was too lazy) before finishing to read the thread.

It turned out, I did not need to, because someone else did the work.
Well done.

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My gut feeling told me, too, that it was a KwK = Kampfwagen Kanone, i.e. a tank gun. This is why:

View attachment 19710View attachment 19710

The piece circled in red and tha round bar at the bottom is intended to protect the commandant of the tank (left) in the cramped turret as well as the gunner (right) from the recoil.

However, I was not expert enough to name the type of the gun without referring to my books (for which I was too lazy) before finishing to read the thread.

It turned out, I did not need to, because someone else did the work.
Well done.

von Marwitz
Beat me to it!
The recoil guard was the clue that this was a re-purposed tank main gun. A few clarifications however, the gunner was protected by the recoil guard because he was seated to the Left of the gun, and the tank commander was protected by the guard in his position at the center rear of the turret. The R/side of the guard is open to allow access for the loader who was positioned in the R/side of the Pzkw. III turret.