Ideas for new counters

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My eyes are so frequently moving back and forth between my notes the location on the board ("LoS now?") that there may as well be a counter, as far as my opponent is concerned.
If it’s too obvious he probably thinks you are trying to fake him out.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If it’s too obvious he probably thinks you are trying to fake him out.
My only hope... My noobness is at such an extreme level that my opponent thinks I'm gaming him.

Sadly, I've already learned in ASL that "hope isn't a plan" (and when you find yourself in a game hoping for luck, you're in a bad spot).

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My only hope... My noobness is at such an extreme level that my opponent thinks I'm gaming him.

Sadly, I've already learned in ASL that "hope isn't a plan" (and when you find yourself in a game hoping for luck, you're in a bad spot).
Hope isn't a plan?!?!??! Man, there goes my strategy for the next scenario!!!!!!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A "counter count counter" for those OCDers who like to keep track of how many counters are on the game board. Place the CCC on the appropriate "count box" of the Counter Count Sheet (free to copy for game use) at the start of the game, and then move it up/down the grid as counters are added/removed from play. As a bonus, a special At-Start Counter Count Counter can indicate the original number of counters per the OOB, a Deployment Counter Count Counter for when Squads deploy in to 2 HS, and a Scrounged Counter Count Counter for when SW are added from scrounged wrecks. At a quick glance, the attentive player can verify that the number of counters currently on the board match his meticulous record keeping skills.

Jacksons

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are some of the counters that are not in the system that might be useful?

Some that I was thinking of or have heard others recommend :

Bicycle counters(currently you have to use motorcycle counters?)
CX counter that shows color or side so that you know what nationality is beneath the CX counter.
Motion counter with ID letter of unit is on it
AR and FFE that has nationality color or insigna on it.

What are other ideas.
I am thinking of creating some of my own custom counters so I am interested in others thoughts.

Stan
How about an "unmarked" counter to indicate that the counter has not yet been marked with another counter? I know some of my counters feel left out when all the other counters are marked and they aren't. They don't say anything (they're cardboard after all), but you can see it in the way their punched edges droop.

JR
Thanks for all of the folks who had some good ideas.
With all of the ASL experience out there I was hoping for a higher proportion of non sarcastic ideas.

Wishful thinking.

Stan

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like a Melee counter that is different in some way to use on an AFV / infantry stack so that you don't overlook / forget that the AFV isn't held in Melee.

Seth

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would also be in favor of nationality colored CX counters. I have added a nationality colored stripe to many of mine.

Nationality unarmed units as in escapees. White for prisoner counters. Nationality colors for when they are off running around on their own looking for weapons.

Seth

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How about a counter to add to the turn track to indicate what phase it is. They must be colored coded to each nationality. That should take up another Plano 3601 box.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All right, here's one:

Elephant-mounted machine-gun.jpg

We need a counter for that.

And another counter "Stampeding Elephant" when the guy on top actually dares to fire the thing...

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes but the Legolas SMC can work these guys pretty hard

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
He could try to use earplugs... BIG EARPLUGS!!! :D