Icon for Microsoft Edge Favorites Bar

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
I use Microsoft Edge, but when I put a link for Gamesquad.com in the favorites bar, the icon it shows is the default missing-icon symbol (the symbol of a blank sheet of paper with a bent corner). I searched on the web but there's no easy way for users to assign their own icon to links in Microsoft Edge. All my other links on the favorites bar have nice icons associated with them: is this something you can easily fix?

From searching the web, I think all you need to do is to add a favicon.ico file in your www root.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure. My knowledge of adding files to the root is tiny. I will ask the server company and forum software company if it is possible.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Thank you. When it says the "www root", I think it just means in your root directory: e.g., in the "www.gamesquad.com" directory. (It's the same directory where you place your index.html file, etc.)

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It' been years since I set mine up, many years like before 2010, but you should be able to create a small image (16x16 pixels), name it favicon.ico and upload it to the 'public_html' folder/directory. That's how mine are set up. I don't think you need to do any other coding/linking to get that file to work. They should show up in the browser bar in Microsoft Edge.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Exactly: no coding is needed--you just need to put a favicon.ico icon in the root directory for your website.

I just tried it with my website and it worked like a charm: I use GoDaddy.com. I simply used GoDaddy's File Manager application and dropped an favicon.ico file into the top directory where the main html files go. And that did it! Simple.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I run a WordPress site for the Canadian ASL Association. They have this feature built into their configuration options.