Ice storm coming for Winter Offensive

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
Wunderground has a rain/ snow mix Thursday PM, and rain Sunday.

Still, it would be a tragedy if we were to get iced in on Sunday and were unable to leave Bowie for a couple days. What would we do? What WOULD we do???????

Ice, Ice, Baby!!!
vanth8ZHP0D2Z.jpg

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
True Confessions - I went to WO one year with JR, in his "Unsafe At Any Speed" Ford Fiesta, a car so bad that Ralph Nader strongly recommended driving a tiny Shriner's car instead, as it was more dependable and stood up to an impact better. It snowed the whole way there, and I remember going into a slide on an entrance ramp. JR seemed unconcerned, though possibly it was because he was a Dare-Death Driver. (see G18.63) It took years of therapy for me to get over the experience, and even now, I still occasionally wake up screaming in the middle of the night.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
True Confessions - I went to WO one year with JR, in his "Unsafe At Any Speed" Ford Fiesta, a car so bad that Ralph Nader strongly recommended driving a tiny Shriner's car instead, as it was more dependable and stood up to an impact better. It snowed the whole way there, and I remember going into a slide on an entrance ramp. JR seemed unconcerned, though possibly it was because he was a Dare-Death Driver. (see G18.63) It took years of therapy for me to get over the experience, and even now, I still occasionally wake up screaming in the middle of the night.
We got off at the wrong exit (business 3 instead of real 3), and as we went back onto the highway the right wheel hooked off the road onto a lower shoulder (couldn't see the edge of the road). I turned the wheel to get back on the road, and next thing I knew we were spun around facing the wrong direction. And still moving. Backwards. I turned back into the spin, and the Fiesta recovered as if there hadn't been any problem at all. Say what you will against the Fiesta, it was front-wheel drive.

A few years ago there was a "great blizzard," which left around three feet of snow. That was not so bad because it hit on Saturday, and the roads were clear by the time I went home. The one year it was really bad a sheet of ice was put down and then it rained on top of it. I made it down ok. I was staying at a friend's house the night before, and his neighbor came down the street after work, slid sideways and knocked the mirror off my car. Then there was the year with (big surprise) another ice storm that knocked out power in the area. We were at a different hotel that year, and I remember the place was packed with people trying to get warm.

You run a quite high risk of bad weather at WO, and while snow storms are interesting, freezing rain is much worse and is very scary.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You run a quite high risk of bad weather at WO, and while snow storms are interesting, freezing rain is much worse and is very scary.
JR
It seems MMP did not yield to JR's demands (limo service from BWI, Executive suite, a complimentary copy of Red Factories and Amerikanskaya Suka for the evening round) :giggle:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It seems MMP did not yield to JR's demands (limo service from BWI, Executive suite, a complimentary copy of Red Factories and Amerikanskaya Suka for the evening round) :giggle:
It would take me longer to drive to the airport, go through security, fly down (most the time spent loading) and find the limo than just to drive down. And if it's snowing/icing, I would be waiting in the airport.

JR

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live about 30 miles south of Bowie. The forecast for Saturday is for rain, continuing into Sunday. Saturday is supposed to remain above freezing, but as the rain moves out on Sunday afternoon, a cold front will move in, producing a wintry mix. The high on Sunday is supposed to her 46F, but the low will be 11F.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I survived the last big snowfall at W.O. (okay, stuck in the hotel and parking lot until Monday). I am probably one of the few ASL players who has survived six winters on the Eastern Front (1996-2014) so look for me to be there. Battle _Ardennes_La_Roche_2009_16_small.jpg

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I live about 30 miles south of Bowie. The forecast for Saturday is for rain, continuing into Sunday. Saturday is supposed to remain above freezing, but as the rain moves out on Sunday afternoon, a cold front will move in, producing a wintry mix. The high on Sunday is supposed to her 46F, but the low will be 11F.
Thanks for the local sit-rep. Update if needed.