I would like a blocking feature

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As someone who has been perniciously cyberstalked by someone on this site in the past, and who seems to be starting it up again, I would like Gamesquad to have a true "block" feature. The "ignore" feature is not sufficient because an ignored person can still see and respond to your posts, unlike a block feature as on Facebook or Twitter.

I would prefer that I not see this other person's posts and he not see or be able to respond to mine.

Please try to find a way to implement such a feature, thanks very much.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
When the forum was vBulletin, there was a GreaseMonkey script that completely excised users from your experience. That script is no longer available. As far as I know, there is no way for you to block your content from the other user. They would have to actively do that. Reviewing the Xenforo site, I don't see anything that will do what you are looking for. @RandyT0001 has the contacts with Xenforo so perhaps he can call tech support and get a better answer. Sorry there doesn't seem to be anything I can do for you. -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Blocking is a poor remedy for personality conflicts on forums and most sites don't do it. Facebook is actually kind of unique in the social media I've been involved with in that it will actually completely hide two individuals from each other. Everywhere else, reasonable community guidelines, effective moderation and community policing generally do the job well.

One of the video game sub-forums here at GS was essentially taken over by one bad actor who went from site to site to harass specific individuals. On other sites (such as Grogheads and the Matrix forums), she (or he) was called out by the administrators and never gained much traction. Here, they enjoyed the more liberal free speech culture of GS. The specific sub-forum they took over died out, by a combination of lessening interest in the game itself and their own abusive behavior driving others away. Disappointing but the community for that specific video game was probably not that strong anyway. Even if the moderators had decided to act in opposition to the free speech culture enjoyed here, and banned that alleged bad actor outright, it wouldn't have salvaged much as the game was an older title and interest had declined to the point few really wanted to post on topic there anymore.

From what I've seen, the viable sub-forums here have communities that don't stand for true instances of harassment and are able to self-police. Supporting free speech (even within reasonable limits) often means standing up for others to say things you don't like or agree with. This site perhaps more than others has favoured freedom of expression over individuals claiming to be offended and has been moderated pretty consistently in that regard. It's a public forum, after all.

Having said that, I've agreed with Cary's calls for civility and his belief we can all do better. I get the feeling people are genuinely taking it to heart.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blocking is a poor remedy for personality conflicts on forums and most sites don't do it. Facebook is actually kind of unique in the social media I've been involved with in that it will actually completely hide two individuals from each other. Everywhere else, reasonable community guidelines, effective moderation and community policing generally do the job well.

One of the video game sub-forums here at GS was essentially taken over by one bad actor who went from site to site to harass specific individuals. On other sites (such as Grogheads and the Matrix forums), she (or he) was called out by the administrators and never gained much traction. Here, they enjoyed the more liberal free speech culture of GS. The specific sub-forum they took over died out, by a combination of lessening interest in the game itself and their own abusive behavior driving others away. Disappointing but the community for that specific video game was probably not that strong anyway. Even if the moderators had decided to act in opposition to the free speech culture enjoyed here, and banned that alleged bad actor outright, it wouldn't have salvaged much as the game was an older title and interest had declined to the point few really wanted to post on topic there anymore.

From what I've seen, the viable sub-forums here have communities that don't stand for true instances of harassment and are able to self-police. Supporting free speech (even within reasonable limits) often means standing up for others to say things you don't like or agree with. This site perhaps more than others has favoured freedom of expression over individuals claiming to be offended and has been moderated pretty consistently in that regard. It's a public forum, after all.

Having said that, I've agreed with Cary's calls for civility and his belief we can all do better. I get the feeling people are genuinely taking it to heart.
Imagine that you are the one in here responding when it is you whom he is talking about. Why don't you just stop responding to his posts and the problem would solve itself.

I may be mistaken in to whom Mark is talking about and if so, I do sincerely publicly apologize to you.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Imagine that you are the one
I have no idea who he's talking about, though I doubt it really matters much. FWIW I blocked him on Facebook years ago because I have no interest in seeing his posts in that setting. I don't see him in any other social media (or physical, for that matter) spaces, so I don't see how it could be me. I've had no direct communication with him. I also suspect he realizes that accusing someone of "cyberstalking" is a reference to an actual crime which has punishments in some jurisdictions of thousands of dollars in fines and/or hard jail time. If he feels he's been victimized in that manner, he should talk to local law enforcement. If he doesn't feel there is evidence of such a crime being committed, he should stop using the term inappropriately.

Whomever it is, if they are breaking forum rules, then he should appeal for the rules to be enforced. If on the other hand Mark is upset about someone responding to his very public calls for discussion, I can't think of anything more childish than requesting the forum moderators exclude people from those discussions just because he doesn't like them or what they say. If everyone did that, it would be a small, and dull, place indeed. He had his own forum for a while, which I think one could charitably say was not nearly as successful at attracting a large audience and/or a diverse set of opinions as this place. Take the good with the bad, I guess. Anyone who doesn't like the mix of personalities here is free to go elsewhere. Asking moderators to stop people responding to public posts seems incomprehensible to me, but then again so does all of that cancel culture that is going on when people find they don't share the same opinions, but suddenly have the power to silence others through outrage.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too would like a blocking feature.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You do know about the ignore option?

Ignore option?
How does this work?

Define what "going at it" means in this context.
I have edited my post. Please pardon my poorly-chosen words.
Thank you.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
We all know who Mark is referring to.

Meanwhile, the West Germans have crossed the Rhine, our loyal comrades are setting up a blocking detachment as we speak.

Rumor has it the Canucks are all drunk, and there was an imp like creature down in Louisiana luring unsuspecting victims to his trailer, for unknown reasons.

Last but not least the were potato sightings in Spudsville and next week Sgt Holtz will be reunited with Tapeo.

East Germans forum it up!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
We all know who Mark is referring to.
Nice try but your attempts to take credit are null and void. Visiting Mark's ASL MySpace page all those times - well, I'll just say it, it gets you points for being weirdly obsessive but seems like you fall short of being an actual stalker.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
No Micheal I believe it’s you whom Mark is referring too. You both have been having this tit-for-tat relationship for over a decade.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
No Micheal I believe it’s you whom Mark is referring too. You both have been having this tit-for-tat relationship for over a decade.
Can't be me, I was never on MySpace - I'm a late adopter.