I think I did Too Good a Job

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My youngest son (14) decided this week he wants to learn ASL. Okay. So after going over the infantry basics we played "Gavin Take". Whenever a situation came up where he had to make a choice on actions, I presented him with the available options and let him choose what to do. He beat me in his first scenario. His second one was "Puma Prowls" so he could learn basic gunnery and vehicles. He got two quick low odds hits and kills on my Pumas early on and won on points at game end. Hmmmm. What's wrong here.
Third scenario we played a combined arms action from an in development BFP HASL. Lots of back and forth, again my offering his options and letting him choose the action he wanted. Came down to my very last DFPh to eliminate him from one of two final victory buildings. No effect on the first, but I had ganged up on the last one and cleared his last two squads out with a 60fp (yes, sixty) shot that achieved a 4KIA. I won on the last possible chance I had. I think he is catching on too quickly for my own good....and I am glad for it. :) We'll see if he kicks my butt again today.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My youngest son (14) decided this week he wants to learn ASL. Okay. So after going over the infantry basics we played "Gavin Take". Whenever a situation came up where he had to make a choice on actions, I presented him with the available options and let him choose what to do. He beat me in his first scenario. His second one was "Puma Prowls" so he could learn basic gunnery and vehicles. He got two quick low odds hits and kills on my Pumas early on and won on points at game end. Hmmmm. What's wrong here.
Third scenario we played a combined arms action from an in development BFP HASL. Lots of back and forth, again my offering his options and letting him choose the action he wanted. Came down to my very last DFPh to eliminate him from one of two final victory buildings. No effect on the first, but I had ganged up on the last one and cleared his last two squads out with a 60fp (yes, sixty) shot that achieved a 4KIA. I won on the last possible chance I had. I think he is catching on too quickly for my own good....and I am glad for it. :) We'll see if he kicks my butt again today.
Sounds like a good teaching method and a very astute pupil.

Think the same technique would work for picking his girlfriends?🤔🙄

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think my son n is smarter than I am too. At least much smarter than I was at 15...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Why did he decide to start?

Wants to do what Dad is doing?

An interest in WWII?

An interest in board games?

Something else or all of the above?

Just curious. 🤔

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why did he decide to start?

Wants to do what Dad is doing?

An interest in WWII?

An interest in board games?

Something else or all of the above?

Just curious. 🤔
Since you asked.....We've played several different games over the years, He is mainly into video games, but enjoys several board/card games too. Even when he was very young (4 or 5) he would push his little toy cars around on the roads on my map boards. He has seen me and my buddies playing in our monthly ASL club meetings for years. I offered to teach him a couple of moths ago,....guess he just figured since he was on spring break he had the time and opportunity to learn "Dad's game". Still doing better than expected. Today's game he lost by only 1CVP (needing 10CVP and 18Exit VP,ended up getting just 9CVP. Learned not to be so cautious early on and set himself behind the eight ball trying to play catch up. Next game I don't think he will make that same mistake. I've been playing my "B" Game so far....but may have to get back to my "A" game before too long at this rate. Yes, he does have an interest in WWII video games and apps.

Thomas Marshall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What’ll he charge me for lessons?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Since you asked.....We've played several different games over the years, He is mainly into video games, but enjoys several board/card games too. Even when he was very young (4 or 5) he would push his little toy cars around on the roads on my map boards. He has seen me and my buddies playing in our monthly ASL club meetings for years. I offered to teach him a couple of moths ago,....guess he just figured since he was on spring break he had the time and opportunity to learn "Dad's game". Still doing better than expected. Today's game he lost by only 1CVP (needing 10CVP and 18Exit VP,ended up getting just 9CVP. Learned not to be so cautious early on and set himself behind the eight ball trying to play catch up. Next game I don't think he will make that same mistake. I've been playing my "B" Game so far....but may have to get back to my "A" game before too long at this rate. Yes, he does have an interest in WWII video games and apps.
Very nice! Thanks🤗

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
Kudos to you! My 25 year old son just recently asked me to show him how to play a scenario. I had never pushed it on him and he was always more interested in video games. Suddenly he said that he wanted to try an ASL scenario. We played an ETO infantry only scenario and the dice were very unkind to him. I was worried he would lose interest but he soon asked "Can we play PTO scenario". I was thrilled. I too know the pure joy that comes from getting to spend time playing the greatest game with my best friend! "You're up.....ON THE WAY!"