The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A game, first.
A great way to live out my children's inheritance too, because I would never want to lose it.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I wanted to voted game with a good historical simulation, but I don’t think it has a good historical simulation. It has good historical…..verisimilitude.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I wanted to voted game with a good historical simulation, but I don’t think it has a good historical simulation. It has good historical…..verisimilitude.
Nice!

Shamelessly stole it for the ASL Word of the Day. Thanks!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
although I check historical simulation as well as game, it was because of the “historical” part, not the “simulation” part. ASL has a lot of historical detail in its ordnance and vehicles. It has historical flavour in its take on the nationalities. I like how one panther can defeat one Sherman most of the time like it could in life. I like how an early tiger or panther can immobilize just by starting, and such.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
General geo board based scenarios are definitely a Game. But many HASL falls under "Games that's a good historical simulation"

Either way, it's always been a game first.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
General geo board based scenarios are definitely a Game. But many HASL falls under "Games that's a good historical simulation"
Agree. It is a game first, but also does a good job of giving the "feel" of historicity (no hex and counter game will ever find the Holy Grail of "realistic"). I've come to terms with its many a-historical elements, and just enjoy the experience. Especially with another like-minded opponent who enjoys the challenge and camaraderie the game can provide.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Definitely a game. Lots of technical detail, command and control is almost entirely absent, leaders are basically mobile DRMs and the fog of war element is limited. Most scenarios portray a smaller element of a larger engagement. That said I really do enjoy the game, there has to a be turn structure and sequence of play in any game whereas in real life there is no ”sequence of play”.

to incorporate all the above missing elements would be nigh on impossible in a board game and still allow completion in a reasonable time. You’d need a computer. Combat mission does a reasonable job of it.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Even a computer uses abstractions.
But it certainly is closer to a simulation than a boardgame.
True, but when you have a system that tracks every single round that is fired, and units disappear when they are no longer in your LOS, including your own units, then you are several steps closer to reality. 🆒