I don't like cricket...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So was this a failure of the English batsmen or the bowlers? I'm tending towards blaming the bowlers, 360 odd is not a horrible target for the batsmen to have acquired.
I would have agreed with you but for the fact that we lost wickets at a rate of 10-1.

Big slap round the head and neck with a cold fish by way of a wake up call was this. SA look very good indeed. England look to have no answer. I'm genuinely concerned.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Number 1? Oh, you know us! We'll duff it somehow, we always do! :D In all fairness to the Proteas, though, we're a lot tougher mentally than we were a few years ago. Most of the "crumble brigade" of the 90s and early 2000s have retired and so some of those memories of epic chokes have lost their grip in the changeroom. Under gary Kirsten there isn't likely to be much room for the flan-like mental poise of the past, nuggety character that he is.

Imran Tahir certainly owes us a few wickets, though. Everything seems to suit him going into the last day. I think folk have been unfairly critical of Swann in this match - wrist spinners generally get more turn out of tracks than finger spinners (It's their special brand of evil!)

Winning this Test will be important, but even more important will be the follow-up by Smith and company in the Second Test. There needs to be more ruthlessness and drive. This is a good, young-ish SA side that needs to develop a culture of going for the throat when they're up.

I think they're going to win it for Boucher.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
That they may, but hopefully Kallis' confusion over WHICH eye his best mate and neighbour in Cape Town injured when signalling his 100 isn't an indication of the attention to detail needed to win a Test series! Never the brightest button in the box, apparently, our Jacques probably shouldn't consider taking up optometry when he packs his pads away...

A really good result for us, though, and one which I think we deserved. Having said that, I won't get too carried away until day three of the Second Test - that should tell us if the Proteas have learnt from previous Tests and can twist the knife.

Our top order SHOULD be in good nick, having spent a fair amount of our autumn playing IPL etc, but it's the middle and lower order that need time in the middle. Let's hope we don't need them in the next two Tests, although that's wishful thinking!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Our top order SHOULD be in good nick, having spent a fair amount of our autumn playing IPL etc, but it's the middle and lower order that need time in the middle. Let's hope we don't need them in the next two Tests, although that's wishful thinking!
The way our chaps bowled on Sunday you could open with Steyn...

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
This should have been a 5 Test series. What a travesty that it wasn't. Relieved and thrilled at winning, all at the same time, but left wondering how tough it would have been against an England side that I think was getting settled into things.

All credit to little Jonny Bairstow for handling the pressure created by the KP debacle and taking the attack to Steyn and cobut I'm just sooooo damned impressed with my boy Vern!

Now for the ODIs, where I hope we do better than 2008.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Watching SA play England was embarrassing. Out coached, out thought, out played and out caught. Benching Swann for Headingley was the biggest mistake I've seen in Test Cricket since India won the toss and put us in to bat on a good pitch the other year. Well done Proteas. Every inch the top team.

And as for Pietersen. Well I really don't think he should play again for England after what he's done. Can't be a one man team.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
[video=youtube;7unkwjAgKq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unkwjAgKq0&feature=endscreen[/video]

Came across this gem. Second ball from Warne rivals his "Gatting Ball."

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Best moment for England from the 1st Test:

Also... we're No. 1 in ODI's (yay!).

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
We've been out-played in the ODIs. Well played England.
We've lacked aggression and I remain unconvinced that AB De Villiers is the right man to lead SA.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Ol' Hash is an absolute rock for us, and it's good to have him there now that Kallis is starting to creak and groan. As wonderful as he's been, though, I can't remember when last I saw a batsman get dropped as often on on tour as Hash has been. :nuts:

I felt awful for poor Tredwell in the last game - dropping two chances. It's an awful feeling! I remember dropping two sitters at mid-on during a varsity match many moons ago, and the poor bowler reminds of the incident to this day. :shy:

Talking of grudges... I see that Bopara and Morgan reckon KP will be welcomed back into the dressing room.... Personally, I don't think he should play international cricket again after what he has done.

Last edited:

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
What, changed allegiance from SA to England:)
Hehehehe.... No, England can have him! It's our little gift from the colonies.... His switching allegiance is par for the course - his assertions hat he was denied a place in the SA set-up because of racial quotas was poo - it's the rampant narcissism that rankles.

He was in SA a while ago and slagging off Graham Smith in a night-club in Cape Town, unknowingly within ear-shot of three members of the Springbok rugby team who took exception to his oratory. It appears to have been settled with an apology by KP, but his share price down here is very low. Generally speaking, most South Africans have moved beyond the supposed "betrayal" of him going to play for England, but most reaction here has been openly sympathetic to Strauss who is held in high regard and is seen as having been slighted by a spoilt brat.

I don't have time for the "England are "South Africa A"" nonsense (We are quite happy to play Imran Tahir...), and feel this whole thing has sullied an otherwise really good tour.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Good frickin' grief! Been away for a bit and get back to civilization to see the Proteas humiliated by the Aussies! Well played to Michael Clake (in particular), and the Aussies in general. A remarkable (but all too familiar) collapse by SA. Why Kleinveldt was included is beyond me - he is a trundler at franchise level.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What's more annoying is that it is only a three Test series.... again!