I don't like cricket...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re: Ahhh... Bliss!

So India toiled to get over 200, but it's only a matter of time. Lets see if England can post a good lead.

Meanwhile, here's something to cheer the Aussies up

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa

Crikey! I'm not Australian, but that cheered me up!

Indian fans were going on about Sehwag being the game-changer for this match, looks like that plan worked well for them....

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States

So India toiled to get over 200, but it's only a matter of time. Lets see if England can post a good lead.

Meanwhile, here's something to cheer the Aussies up

That sure cheers me up, mate!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Frank Skinner was talking to Aggers on TMS this lunchtime. He said India don't even look as good as Pakistan did last year when they were trying to lose!

Aggers nearly choked.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Struck today by the striking similarity between Major League Baseball and Test Cricket:

Grown men playing bat and ball in ridiculous clothes on TV while millions are enthralled (though many can't figure out why)...

...and the Indians are terrible.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Like this one:

Twitter *
From NickLloyd107: "England should bat on until Extras gets a well-deserved century..."

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Cook to get over 300 you recon?

334+ looks on to me! That would make it the biggest score by an Angle. Only thing to stop that is probably the guys he is batting with or Strauss declaring.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

334+ looks on to me! That would make it the biggest score by an Angle. Only thing to stop that is probably the guys he is batting with or Strauss declaring.
Number one in the world...
It's been a long time...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

You can have no idea of my conflicting emotions with regards to this. Can I be pleased with English success? Given that cricket commentators are not so overwhelming in their triumphalism so I think I can accept it.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

You can have no idea of my conflicting emotions with regards to this. Can I be pleased with English success? Given that cricket commentators are not so overwhelming in their triumphalism so I think I can accept it.
Bit more magnanimity in cricket....gentleman's sport and all that

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Im have to say that I fond myself tremendously conflicted where cricket commentary is concerned. having watched a lot of sport form many parts of the world I'd say that the Sky TV commentary team for Test Cricket is absolutely fantastic. They say less than you might expect given the facets available. Sometimes an over of gentle spin might pass without anything being said, since we can see what's gone on (I know few sports where this is true). Contrast this with the guys who (for example) call the IPL. Constant yammer and name dropping of sponsors. If there is a clearly understandable statistical graphic on the screen they'll describe it, rather than letting you read it. I also think they're so pleased to have been part of the story that has arrived here.

However. On the occasions when I sit and watch live test Cricket I have the TV sound down and the BBC Radio Test Match Special running. When I get up and go to do a spot of housework or grdenting or whatever (go out of a walk in the sunshine) they come with me. I can even have them in my lugs at work due to a generous decision made by an otherwise detested senior manager. I've listened since the early 80's, I can remember -just-when Arlott did his last game. I feel that Jonathan Agnew is my best mate. It is very strange indeed.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine

Need to get to 5-0 before it counts as that (3-1 is merely well buggered)
5-0...3-1....
Meh...
Having lost that series we just wound down in the final two tests so that we could twat you in the one days series....
:)
Seriously though it was a moment of rare pleasure in that particular test series to see your dignitaries handing England the trophy at the end of the one day series with a look of shock, bewilderment, and utter horror......."errrrr guys.......this wasn't meant to happen....can we just give the trophy to the Aussies anyway please....it's what the crowd came for....."

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

5-0...3-1....
Meh...
Having lost that series we just wound down in the final two tests so that we could twat you in the one days series....
:)
Seriously though it was a moment of rare pleasure in that particular test series to see your dignitaries handing England the trophy at the end of the one day series with a look of shock, bewilderment, and utter horror......."errrrr guys.......this wasn't meant to happen....can we just give the trophy to the Aussies anyway please....it's what the crowd came for....."
At the risk of letting the poms drown in their own self-congratuatory ejaculations....

Well done beating the Indians - as a side I have always considered them over-rated: I just hope you don't find this series sullied in the same way as the one against Pakistan.

But as is traditional at moments like these, it is nice to recall that in the head to head series it remains Australia 123 - England 100.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

A tougher test will come from South Africa next year and I'll only fully consider England no 1 once they've beaten India in India.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand

Ah the Australian and Scottish grumblings start already :)

<Headscarf on and arms crossed, head shaking>"Aye well, you're nae really number one until you beat SA and India. And anyway, I hate you English."
<Batting aside the corks on the hat, belching soundly whilst crushing an empty can of kangaroo piss...sorry, Australian beer>"Yeah well, the Indians were overrated anyway and the Pakistanis are a bunch of lying cheating basterds who threw the series anyway And you'll never beat India in India because you haven't got Glen McGrath or Warney or any other brilliant Aussies, unlike us, who had some 10 years ago and now have a bunch of second rate no hopers."

Despite all that I'm still going to support Scotland in the rugby world cup on September 10th, off to see a huge game against mighty Romania in Invercargill :) Not sure I can bring myself to support Australia though, even against those pesky French.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa

Over on Cricinfo they're generally blathering on about how England can't call themselves Number 1 until they've beaten India in India, and that India are STILL the best anywhere. That's a load of old poo, given the fact that India rarely venture outside of the subcontinent. They're a tough nut to crack there, it's true, but mostly because they prepare a real turner for the 1st Test, grab a win and the dead tracks for the remaining matches.

What is so good to see in this England side is the way that they gel as a unit. I don't think there are any genuine greats amongst them, but they complement each other so well that doesn't matter.

England should take heart from the fact that Dale Steyn - and most good quicks - are still very effective in India, and this England attack looks really formidable. I like the variety in that four man line-up, and with Swann ready to turn it it's probably the best attack in cricket at the moment.

As for the SA tour to England next year, we just have to hope that we have a settled side. Gary Kirsten is a great appointment , as is Donald, but I'm still not convinced that AB De Villiers is captaincy material. We're also asking him to keep wicket, skipper the side and come in at four or five which a lot to ask of anyone, let alone a plonker like him.

Last edited: