I don't like cricket...

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
And Ponting is no longer Captain of Australia. I'm glad he made the decision himself, instead of being forced out. Despite his antics on the field, he was (and is) an incredible batsman. The problem Australia faced was there really wasn't anyone else as a clear choice as captain. Clarke has big boots to fill.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And Ponting is no longer Captain of Australia. I'm glad he made the decision himself, instead of being forced out. Despite his antics on the field, he was (and is) an incredible batsman. The problem Australia faced was there really wasn't anyone else as a clear choice as captain. Clarke has big boots to fill.
I'll be very interested to see whether they let him stay in the side. My perception is that once a player ceases to be the Aussie captain he's out of the national side.

Lots of people looking forward to Saturday, and the IPL looms also.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ponting is going to Sri Lanka with the team for a one day series, and they way he will bat at third spot. Be interesting to see how he goes.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Finely balanced final........182/5 for SL with 10 to go. Apparently 250 looks like a good defensible total on this pitch so it'll be close.

A nice text sent in to the bbc website

From Dominic: "In Lewisham hospital with the Mrs waiting for her to have our first bambino! Pritie is Indian and I'm Sri Lankan... if India win we are going with Sachin and if Sri Lanka win we are going with Murali! I hope it's a boy or we may never be forgiven."

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's Sprinnggg! The sun is out, the daffs are in flower and the IPL is back!

Two great finishes already. Everyday I come home form work and there's cricket on the telly.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So there I was. beer and peanuts at the ready looking for the big shootout and... Tendulkar gets 5 and Dhoni 3. <scowls>

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well who would have guessed the England Sri Lanka test would have ended that way. Not the BBC commentator:

1456*
In between reading Tom Fordyce's execellent piece on Kevin Pietersen and his left-arm kryptonite, searching for drumkits for seven-year-olds and wondering whether it's possible to hear your arteries clog up while eating the bodyweight of the said seven-year-old in thick-cut, ridge-based crisps, we have 55 overs of cricket to play. Yes, 55 overs. Fifty-five overs of the most pointless Test cricket you will ever see. Keep me sane people...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It was astonishing stuff. The bowling was magnificent and Sri Lanka's batsmen might not be let back in the country when its time to go home.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I was pleased to see them let Bell get his ton but I suspect of there had been more time they would not have done so. I'd hoped they would declare early since even the neater lead would be good enough to force a draw, there simply wasn't the time for the visitors to carve out a lead and then bowl out England. I did not expect an innings win!

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Seems in Tests they are ready for anyone. Can't wait for next weekend. Think I'll book some leave in the afternoons.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Unbelieveable, was up until 2am Aussie time and kept checking the cardiff weather never thinking they'd get a minutes play. It's amazing what a bit of self belief can do.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think England's test side is still on the rise, while other recently great teams are losing their great players. Australia were poor and SL are lacking also.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ahhh... Bliss!

Nice warm day. Not too warm with a cooling breeze. Got out of work early, bought some cheap beer (filled the pannier basket on my bike I did).

First day of the Lords test. Feet up. Pork pie salad, Sky TV on sound off. Henry Blofeld and Tuffers on commentary on the BBC Radio. Roll on a weekend without any responsibilities.

Last edited:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Re: Ahhh... Bliss!

Pork pie SALAD?? You big poof.

Watching it on cricinfo at midnight in Oz, 136/4 :(

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Don't look now but England are beating India at Test Cricket.

I watched a lot of the Saturday play (nothing better to do when at my Dad's) and it was fascinating. I genuinely feel sorry for Broady, him having seen two dropped catches in the same over. Sky's unforgiving coverage revealed Broad showing his disappointment as Anderson cleaned up the rabbits, so denying him a five-fer at Lords and a place on the honours board in the Long Room, which I think he probably deserved (bizarrely he's there with a ton and a half with the bat from last year).

Dravid aside, the tension on the faces of the Indian was a sight to behold. I am fond of India because they are mad about the game and the Indian cricket board quietly sidelined any players who had a whiff of corruption about them as soon as the question arose (contrast the cheating Pakistanis who are without shame). They are probably my second favourite national side. To beat them is a big deal and right now Engerland look the people to do it. We can only hope.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa

England are the side to watch for the next three or so years, I feel. They have such a balanced, tight-knit side that I can't see too many sides beating them, home or away. India are in their twilight, I feel, with too many top players on the way out.

Of course, the ridiculous number of South Africans on the field and on the team balconies means that we are still tops and "Poo!" to you all!