I don't like cricket...

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
240 for 5 at the close. Maybe Englands total was not so far off the mark.
You never know. Good spell with the ball tomorrow and it could be honours even after the first innings.

That caught and bowled from Finn was a belter.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
A great days cricket, shame it finished early. Top little innings from Hussey and some high class seam bowling for England - Broad has been VERY impressive. And the ball's turning and fizzing a little so Swann should come into play for Australias 2nd innings. This is what it's all about!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You never know. Good spell with the ball tomorrow and it could be honours even after the first innings.

That caught and bowled from Finn was a belter.
A great days cricket, shame it finished early. Top little innings from Hussey and some high class seam bowling for England - Broad has been VERY impressive. And the ball's turning and fizzing a little so Swann should come into play for Australias 2nd innings. This is what it's all about!
Sorry, what's that in English????? :crosseye:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Is there someplace to see this on-line? I know squat about Cricket, but I would not mind taking a peak to see what all the fuss is about. -- jim

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You could try some of the dodgy streaming sites like Adhet.net but otherwise you might get some highlights and that's about it.

Cricket is a bit like any other sport but spread over 5 days. If you get a good match it's tense and exciting but if it's a poor one it can be deadly dull to watch unless you have a great emotional attachment to one side. Add to that, without a great deal of knowledge it can be hard to see the skill but with "test match special" it does have Probobly the best set of commentators of any sport. In fact I'd recommend that rather than find video go to the BBC site and track down test match special. It should start at 11.30 GMT today.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Is there someplace to see this on-line? I know squat about Cricket, but I would not mind taking a peak to see what all the fuss is about. -- jim
There's no peeking at cricket...it requires sustained multi-day starting the likes of which is usually only experienced by brainwashing "patients." Y'know, think Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange...

S

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You could try some of the dodgy streaming sites like Adhet.net but otherwise you might get some highlights and that's about it.

Cricket is a bit like any other sport but spread over 5 days. If you get a good match it's tense and exciting but if it's a poor one it can be deadly dull to watch unless you have a great emotional attachment to one side. Add to that, without a great deal of knowledge it can be hard to see the skill but with "test match special" it does have Probobly the best set of commentators of any sport. In fact I'd recommend that rather than find video go to the BBC site and track down test match special. It should start at 11.30 GMT today.
I'll just take you guys word at it. You can tell me all this and I'll pretend to read it. ;)

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
<<You never know. Good spell with the ball tomorrow and it could be honours even after the first innings.

That caught and bowled from Finn was a belter.>>

Sorry, what's that in English????? :crosseye:
I was hoping that when England get the new ball at the start of the third day (of five) they can take the last five wickets (i.e. get the last five men out) before Australia can build much of a lead.

The caught and bowled means that the man who bowled the ball (same place in the game as a BB pitcher) also caught the ball directly off the bat, hence getting the man out all on his own.

Mr P wrote:

<<A great days cricket, shame it finished early. Top little innings from Hussey and some high class seam bowling for England - Broad has been VERY impressive. And the ball's turning and fizzing a little so Swann should come into play for Australias 2nd innings. This is what it's all about!>>

The game was suspended, first for bad light then rain. Much of this time will be lost, although they can make up half an hour in later days. Hussey is an Australian batsman who had scored 81 without getting out. To give you some perspective here, a 50 is noteworthy, a hundred is probably like hitting a home run with a couple of guys on base while 150 would be a grand slam. The fact he is still 'not out' is the scary bit as he still occupies the crease and could go on to score much more. Seam bowling is where the bowler tries to land the ball on the hand stiched seam (the ball bounces in cricket before it reaches the batsman). The intention is to make the ball bounce with an unpredictable direction. Broad is a fast bowler who also can seam.

The ball turning means that the bowlers are getting the ball to curve in the air. A ball comes polished when it is new but the bowling (i.e. not the batting) team will polish one side and let the other side get rough (there is a set number of balls bowled with a ball - not a new ball each time). The idea being that the polished side lets the air pass more easily and the ball will swing into the non polished side. Moist or overcast conditions might increase the likelihood.

Swann is a spin bowler. He will let the ball go slowly but will impart a great deal of spin on the ball so that it will move in an unpredictable (to the batsman) direction after it bounces. Pitch conditions and atmosperic conditions, plus an old ball can make this worthwhile. Swann is possibly the best Spinner in the world at test level, given that Shane Warne and Murali have quit.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The ball turning means that the bowlers are getting the ball to curve in the air.
I think that's 'swing'

I think 'turn' is the movement of the ball after it's bounced

For whoever asked...this is a caught and bowled...he makes it look easy...it isn't

[video=youtube;bdfkDVe6m0g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdfkDVe6m0g[/video]

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Turn....

Hellfire...I love this ball...despite an Aussie bowling it....

[video=youtube;03Ln6ejl9Mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Ln6ejl9Mo[/video]

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not necessarily. I think turn is when the ball goes off true while this can come from sealing, spinning or swinging.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Turn....

Hellfire...I love this ball...despite an Aussie bowling it....

[video=youtube;03Ln6ejl9Mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Ln6ejl9Mo[/video]
But isn't the batsman blocking too much of the wicket to begin with?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Not necessarily. I think turn is when the ball goes off true while this can come from sealing, spinning or swinging.
Absolutely necessarily

Ball movement in the air pre-bounce is called swing

Ball movement after the bounce is called turn

Ball movement after the bounce off the seam of the ball is called seam

Spinners turn the ball
Fast bowlers swing and seam the ball

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
But isn't the batsman blocking too much of the wicket to begin with?
The batsman can stand pretty much where he likes.
But his thinking and technique must bear in mind that if a ball which was going on to hit the wickets hits him instead, that he will be given out LBW, or Leg Before Wicket.
And note it doesn't have to hit his leg to be given out LBW...
For example, if he turned around with his @rse facing the bowler but blocking all three wickets and the ball hit him on the arse but would have gone on to hit the wickets...he'll be given out.
NB: LBW is far FAR more complex than that, but the principal is the same.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And day three starts. Any predictions for the session?
I'm going for Australia bowled out for 380 after Hussey delivers a competant 153 and the tail end support him.
England puit in for an hour before close of play but negotiate it with no loss of wicket

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
And day three starts. Any predictions for the session?
I'm going for Australia bowled out for 380 after Hussey delivers a competant 153 and the tail end support him.
England puit in for an hour before close of play but negotiate it with no loss of wicket
Too optimistic you little ABE you :)

All out for 300, the balls seaming round a bit and the Aussie batsmen look very ill at ease. I'm backing Hussey for a ton tho. And then the England innings? We'll see, 300 would give them a chance, 350 would be safe......

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Oooooh, awful decision from Aleem Dar - Hussey was plumb LBW to Jimmy Anderson and wasn't give. Big let off for Australia

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Oooooh, awful decision from Aleem Dar - Hussey was plumb LBW to Jimmy Anderson and wasn't give. Big let off for Australia
Pretty shocking decision or two I thought...
The England bowling deserves better than incompetence like that
I mean..he's got the review system to back him up...what the ****'s wrong with him