I did not know this. (but actually, I did)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Playing since 1990; I have never seen anyone mention this rule, nor did I know to use it:

C4.3 APCR/APDS: APCR ammunition was less accurate at long range due to the poor ratio of weight to diameter. APDS ammunition was also less accurate at long range due to the separation of the sabot from the core. Therefore, the Basic TH# of any shot using APCR/APDS is lessened by one for every 12 hexes (or fraction thereof) beyond 12 hex range. The German 28LL and 40LL Guns use the APCR Basic TH# Modification even if firing HE, and are not subject to APCR Depletion Numbers.

That means any German gun (normal Vehicle Basic TH progression for each six hexes to range 36 is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6 [yes, 6 twice]) using APCR would have a Vehicle Basic TH progression of 10, 9, 7, 6, 5, 5.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that that effect is shown on the TH modifier chart.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Uhm, are you trying to point out the APDS/APCR line of the 'Gun&Ammo Basic to Hit Number Modifications' or am I missing something?

I have missed many things, still do, and always will, but if I did not misunderstand you, this one has been always pretty obvious to me as the 'standard' playaid I am using in all games is Ole Boe's highly useful 'IIFT(M)QRDC'.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Uhm, are you trying to point out the APDS/APCR line of the 'Gun&Ammo Basic to Hit Number Modifications' or am I missing something?
You know, the rule talks about modifying the Basic TH number. It does not talk about the Modified TH number. The way it is written made me think that this is in addition to what is shown on the C3 TH table.

If C4.3 is just a written representation of the APCR line in the C3 TH table, then it is NOT new to me.

Later edit: Reading C4 in its entirety makes it clear that C4.3 is talking about deriving a Modified TH number, not changing the Basic TH number.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You know, the rule talks about modifying the Basic TH number. It does not talk about the Modified TH number. The way it is written made me think that this is in addition to what is shown on the C3 TH table.

If C4.3 is just a written representation of the APCR line in the C3 TH table, then it is NOT new to me.

Later edit: Reading C4 in its entirety makes it clear that C4.3 is talking about deriving a Modified TH number, not changing the Basic TH number.
Yes. I still find the whole thing about the 'Modified TH number' and 'Basic TH number' confusing - and it is relevant especially with regard to Critical Hits. That the C4 table is headed with 'Gun & Ammo Basic TH Number Modifications' does not make it better as it is really - as you point out - about deriving a Modfied TH number.

I am pretty sure that I 'missed' numerous CHs by mixing this stuff up.

Gotta love this game... ;)

von Marwitz