I can't ID the nationalities of these counters...

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Organizing (again) my BF stuff I was not sure about the olive border light blue center elite 447 and 337 squads as well as some .50 cal wz30 counters. I think the .50 cal is Polish.

Also, the elite medium green 537/227 engineer (with demo symbol) are what nationality if any?

I am pretty color blind so I checked the BF reference material and scenarios that might use these counters but came up empty.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Organizing (again) my BF stuff I was not sure about the olive border light blue center elite 447 and 337 squads as well as some .50 cal wz30 counters. I think the .50 cal is Polish.

Also, the elite medium green 537/227 engineer (with demo symbol) are what nationality if any?

I am pretty color blind so I checked the BF reference material and scenarios that might use these counters but came up empty.
First one sounds like GMD Chinese to me, Ray.

Second could be Axis Minor Assault Engineers?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Those are the half sheet of 1/2" counter set from ITR2 (no counters came with ITR).

The 4 x 447 and 6 x 337 are extra GMD counters with Soviet Brown edges and German Blue centres. Ditto there are 4 extra Japanese 447 and 3 x 4-11 MMG and 7 x 2-6 LMG. They are all standard (non-AE) extras to make up numbers for a scenario.

The 8-14 HMG are replacements for the Polish 8-14 that came with PiF. The PiF ones had R3/X6 on the back, the corrected (ITR2) ones have R2/X6.

The 6 x 537, 4 x 227 are Axis Minor AE. There are also 10 x 448, 6 x 238 Japanese AE and 6 x 747, 4 x 337 US AE.

The rest of the sheet have Allied (F)/Axis (B) 10 x Location/13 x Hex/8 x Entry markers, 16 x Factory Building/Access Point and 28 combined BU/CE armour leader markers (2 x 6+1, 4 x 8-1, 4 x 9-1, 2 x 9-2, 2 x 10-2, total 14 each in turret and NT format).

A half sheet of 5/8" counters also came with ITR2.

BFP have developed a habit of filling out units like AE versions of standard counters whenever they have a few counter rows to spare. So eventually you will have BFP AE for every nationality.

Last edited:

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Those are the half sheet of 1/2" counter set from ITR2 (no counters came with ITR).

The 4 x 447 and 6 x 337 are extra GMD counters with Soviet Brown edges and German Blue centres. Ditto there are 4 extra Japanese 447 and 3 x 4-11 MMG and 7 x 2-6 LMG. They are all standard (non-AE) extras to make up numbers for a scenario.

The 8-14 HMG are replacements for the Polish 8-14 that came with PiF. The PiF ones had R3/X6 on the back, the corrected (ITR2) ones have R2/X6.

The 6 x 537, 4 x 227 are Axis Minor AE. There are also 10 x 448, 6 x 238 Japanese AE and 6 x 747, 4 x 337 US AE.

The rest of the sheet have Allied (F)/Axis (B) 10 x Location/13 x Hex/8 x Entry markers, 16 x Factory Building/Access Point and 28 combined BU/CE armour leader markers (2 x 6+1, 4 x 8-1, 4 x 9-1, 2 x 9-2, 2 x 10-2 each in turret and NT format).

A half sheet of 5/8" counters also came with ITR2.
Thanks, mystery solved!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My thoughts also but the MG is a puzzle as wz is generally Polish but the brownish borders are throwing me.
You might want to reread my post as I edited it after my initial post and saved after your reply.

BFP decided to do the Poles as Allied Minor green border with British tan interior as they felt they deserved their own colour scheme. Because of that they included everything Polish in PiF that had been in DB as well as anything they felt had been left out. If you don't have PiF already, I would very strongly suggest getting it. I regard anything BFP as as essential as MMP stuff.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you don't have PiF already, I would very strongly suggest getting it. I regard anything BFP as as essential as MMP stuff.
It also helps if you have tons of money to waste on counters you will probably never use.

I bought Blood and Jungle, which I love for the scenarios, but I have not bought PIF or this Kursk thing. Just far too expensive and non-essential. Tons of new mapboards not used by anyone else.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
You might want to reread my post as I edited it after my initial post and saved after your reply.

BFP decided to do the Poles as Allied Minor green border with British tan interior as they felt they deserved their own colour scheme. Because of that they included everything Polish in PiF that had been in DB as well as anything they felt had been left out. If you don't have PiF already, I would very strongly suggest getting it. I regard anything BFP as as essential as MMP stuff.
Colors are my Achilles Heel which is why I probably did not end up in a UXB unit while serving. Worse are brown and green which makes those nice maps for KGP and now Operation Schmidt a pain to play on. It is probably also why I thought the original boards 9 and 10 as well as the original Ruweisat Ridge map were okay. :(

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It also helps if you have tons of money to waste on counters you will probably never use.

I bought Blood and Jungle, which I love for the scenarios, but I have not bought PIF or this Kursk thing. Just far too expensive and non-essential. Tons of new mapboards not used by anyone else.
I am from an early SL era, not the first year it came out but before CoI. During the AH era and especially when AH was going down the tubes I bought many duplicates as my 'fix' looked like it would disappear.

While I have about 4k scenarios, my attitude to ASL is it is the best WW2 toybox out there. I gradually got together enough to do, say, any WW2 phase Soviet Tank brigade or a US Combat Command. While I have (solo) played little ASL over the last few years, the ability to recreate almost any action whether something I just read or something like "How would a late '41 Soviet Tank Brigade do against a late '41 Panzer Abteilung?", is what keeps my interest in ASL. So every new Unit/AFV/Gun and map that came out expanded my WW2 universe. So Map X is not simply just used in only Y scenarios, it's another arrow in the quiver of my WW2 imagination.

Being single, retired, mortgage free with a modest appetite and only 3 cats as dependants and no really expensive tastes, just books, the odd DVD and a few boardgame lines, I can afford to indulge my ASL habit. Having said all that, I don't really live in most people's real world. Though far from rich, I have enough to splurge a bit on something and ASL is it. When spread over years and the hours of playtime, ASL is quite cheap.

But everybody here has their own take on and available hours and money that they can allocate to ASL. Most here are scenario people, some regard CGs as their strong preference and I'm in the DYO camp. So whether you decide to tailor your purchases according to apparent usage or wish for the greatest variety, the important thing is that you are satisfied with that and still enjoy that.
Colors are my Achilles Heel which is why I probably did not end up in a UXB unit while serving. Worse are brown and green which makes those nice maps for KGP and now Operation Schmidt a pain to play on. It is probably also why I thought the original boards 9 and 10 as well as the original Ruweisat Ridge map were okay. :(
Sometimes curses are hidden blessings ... UXB disposal would definitely not have been a first choice for my career :eek:. I still have my original boards 9, 10 and 11. Frightening colours and trapezoid buildings! I wonder if they still grow whatever the artist was smoking then. Though quite dreadful, they got some use as they added 3 new boards to the previous 6 non river boards that we were stuck with.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As in "Ray, cut the green wire and then the brown one!" ?? BOOM ?

I think you don't need to have any eye issues to struggle with the KGP map. It is a monstrosity. A beautiful monstrosity, but still very, very hard to play confidently on. Especially if it is the next CG map you play on after Red Barrricades!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As in "Ray, cut the green wire and then the brown one!" ?? BOOM ?

I think you don't need to have any eye issues to struggle with the KGP map. It is a monstrosity. A beautiful monstrosity, but still very, very hard to play confidently on. Especially if it is the next CG map you play on after Red Barrricades!
Yeah, I took a green felt tip pen and outlined the crest lines as well as took an orange (burnt orange? red orange?) highlighter and highlighted all the slope annotations. Actually looks fairly decent. BTW did similar for the VotG map with the highlighter for rail cars, lumberyards, & other wooden terrain features & shellholes - actually came out very well and enhanced (in me & my friends estimation) the appeal of the map. Just use a chisel tip highlighter and don't do the entire hex, just the depictions. Time consuming but the end product was spiced up the aesthetics and ability to rapidly pick out specific terrain for me (a very light blue works well to highlight "roofed" stone buildings as well).