"I bet that nobody else has ever done that........."

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
The idea behind this thread is to discuss some seriously rare events.

One of the most odd occurrences I can remember in an ASL game was when a Field Phone had its line cut by a prisoner TC to attack it's (broken by the SAN) guard.

But I think that just got trumped tonight when playing Jackson in the last date (7PM) of the Operation Schmidt CG. Jack repaired 3 radios. Yep, 3 radios in the same scenario !!!

In this CG, you are allowed to have as many as 3 modules of OBA, and Jack has the maximum 3. He malfunctioned all 3 of them, and then repaired all 3 of them !!!!!

If I had to pick one thing that I've seen in ASL that I'm sure that nobody else has ever done, that would have to be it.

John.

Last edited:

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My strangest event was watching my opponent change his turret covered arc, dislodging his riders. The squad snaked the MC, battle hardened and generated a hero. Guess he stuck the landing! Even got a 10 from the Russian judge.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My strangest event was watching my opponent change his turret covered arc, dislodging his riders. The squad snaked the MC, battle hardened and generated a hero. Guess he stuck the landing! Even got a 10 from the Russian judge.
IIRC, a Bail Out MC is taken while still a Rider, so Battle Hardening should have been NA.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I once on the first turn of a big Budapest scenario DYO (had 4 boards, lots of Germans and Russians, prior to OOA) got an improbable critical hit with my 9-2 AL in the APh at 21 hexes on his best IS-2 with his 9-2 AL. It was the first shot of the game and he simply went and laid down on the couch and drank beer the rest of the night. The other guy was okay with it, but was really pissed at his friend whose PML I just broke lol.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As reported earlier.....two Russian squads moving in a stack going Berserk on the SAME MC in a recent playtest.....that was pretty extraordinary.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing an ASLOK finals. British 9-1 and two elite squads assault move into the last building needed for a win. Opponent takes a 2fp snap shot, gets an NMC. I roll 1,1 for the leader followed by boxcars. British elite SMC goes Berserk, and takes the two remaining 458 squads berserk with him. As it was a Snap Shot they never entered the building in Good Order so I don't control it. They then proceed to chase after a tank that's just out of reach. Opponent kites them away from the battlefield with that tank until scenario ends.

Winter Offensive Finals--I have two buildings that my opponent needs to take. In one multi-hex, level 1 1/2, building there are 5 good order 458s, a 628, a 9-1 and an 8-0 (no squads are in same stack). In the other multi-hex, 1 1/2 level, building are 3 good order 628's (none stacked) and a 7-0. Opponent has 1 turn to clear the buildings and gain control. He has one Stug and 3 good order squads (two of which he rallied back from desperation Morale) able to tackle the big building, and one Stug and an 8-0 leader that can take on the other building.
Opponent proceeds to roll 8 RoF with one Stug (including two VCA changes)...killing everything in building 1 except 1 wounded 9-1 leader. The squads then take the building. This was followed by 4 RoF with the second stug, killing or breaking everything in building 2. The 8-0 then moves into the building forcing the remaining Russians to surrender or rout out of the building.

P.S. Fish once drove a lone PzIII into Action Burke's Red Barricades backfield. Popped an Sd attempt which cut the Russian field phone wire.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As it was a Snap Shot they never entered the building in Good Order so I don't control it.
ASL doesn't break down the location into sub-locations of "in the bypass area of the hex" and "in the hex proper". Once a unit expends the MF to enter a location it controls that location (assuming it is otherwise able to do so) regardless of the results of mines, OBA, DFF (including snap shots), etc. This q&a covers the question:
q&a said:
A8.15 & A26.11 If a unit is affected by a Snap Shot and broken as a result, would it nevertheless gain Control of the otherwise empty location it was about to enter as it “is considered to be in the location entered thereafter” per A8.15? Is there any difference in the same situation if the Snap Shot result would have been a “KIA”?
A. Yes. No.
Also note that despite the "reality argument", a unit may be targeted by a snap shot *after* it has been targeted by regular DFF shots. The ordering of events at this low level is all very abstract.

JR

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was typing what I thought I remembered off top of my head. I was reminded there was a broken enemy in the buildings upper floor that I was going to surround and capture to control the building. The berserkers couldn’t see them so they went after the tank.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never had my Sniper actually win a game for me until my recent play against Don Holland.
We're playing SP 16 "Hilfe Kommt." It is the last US MPh. Only one US unit (a Hero) is in
position to possibly keep me from moving a re-armed MMC east of the VC hex line. Don
moves the Hero adjacent to the 468 for advance into the hex for CC. If a Melee occurs
in the CCPh, then Don wins the game. During the move, the Hero was wounded. My
Sniper is activated (2 on the SA dr) and the direction/distance DR places my sniper in a hex where
the Hero is the only US unit closest to the Sniper. The already wounded Hero fails the Wound severity DR and is eliminated.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite.... Enemy infantry MMC blocking the exit hex in good order but pinned. Advance in a concealed MMC with a concealed 8-1 leader. Net ambush modifiers in the CCPh are him +1 me -3. Easy peasy ambush occurs - choose to withdraw to the accessible offboard hex for the Exit VP. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never had my Sniper actually win a game for me until my recent play against Don Holland.
We're playing SP 16 "Hilfe Kommt." It is the last US MPh. Only one US unit (a Hero) is in
position to possibly keep me from moving a re-armed MMC east of the VC hex line. Don
moves the Hero adjacent to the 468 for advance into the hex for CC. If a Melee occurs
Sniper is activated (2 on the SA dr) and the direction/distance DR places my sniper in a hex where
the Hero is the only US unit closest to the Sniper. The already wounded Hero fails the Wound severity DR and is eliminated.
Felipe and I had the Japanese SAN 6 take down and keep pinned down, almost a full company of US Marine 6-6-8s and their leaders for 2 full turns, as well we keeping their HSs manning 2 of the 60mm mtrs out of the action for a full 4 turns. All with a sniper. SAN 6 is nothing to sneeze at.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My favorite.... Enemy infantry MMC blocking the exit hex in good order but pinned. Advance in a concealed MMC with a concealed 8-1 leader. Net ambush modifiers in the CCPh are him +1 me -3. Easy peasy ambush occurs - choose to withdraw to the accessible offboard hex for the Exit VP. :)
The enemy MMC should have self-broke if possible.

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The enemy MMC should have self-broke if possible.

JR
shoulda, woulda, coulda, .... didn't... Wasn't a learning scenario - so I felt no compunction to teach the lesson softly :). "'Tis the singed hand that learns best..."

:D

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing an ASLOK finals. British 9-1 and two elite squads assault move into the last building needed for a win. Opponent takes a 2fp snap shot, gets an NMC. I roll 1,1 for the leader followed by boxcars. British elite SMC goes Berserk, and takes the two remaining 458 squads berserk with him. As it was a Snap Shot they never entered the building in Good Order so I don't control it. They then proceed to chase after a tank that's just out of reach. Opponent kites them away from the battlefield with that tank until scenario ends.

Winter Offensive Finals--I have two buildings that my opponent needs to take. In one multi-hex, level 1 1/2, building there are 5 good order 458s, a 628, a 9-1 and an 8-0 (no squads are in same stack). In the other multi-hex, 1 1/2 level, building are 3 good order 628's (none stacked) and a 7-0. Opponent has 1 turn to clear the buildings and gain control. He has one Stug and 3 good order squads (two of which he rallied back from desperation Morale) able to tackle the big building, and one Stug and an 8-0 leader that can take on the other building.
Opponent proceeds to roll 8 RoF with one Stug (including two VCA changes)...killing everything in building 1 except 1 wounded 9-1 leader. The squads then take the building. This was followed by 4 RoF with the second stug, killing or breaking everything in building 2. The 8-0 then moves into the building forcing the remaining Russians to surrender or rout out of the building.

P.S. Fish once drove a lone PzIII into Action Burke's Red Barricades backfield. Popped an Sd attempt which cut the Russian field phone wire.

Now those are some awesome stories.

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This happened in my last PBEM game (Round Two):

PzIII(?) moves adj to my newly created Polish 6+1 leader (hiding in a factory).
Def fire:
6+1 finds a molotov, lights it
Throws MOL......PzIII burning outside the factory.

It could have easily been a scene from one of those 1960's European war movies...

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hero has no wound severity dr on 2nd wound dies automatically