HYWASL

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Is coming along. Final checking of counter art underway for the first Module, Agincourt 1415. One of the Duke's had his sword drawn while still in his scabard...this was just caught in proofing.
Which battles would you like to see next in Hundred Years's War ASL? Personally I'd like to see the Maid of Orleans in action.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Might be nice if the next release would be the battle of Tannenberg 1410. ASL scenarios set in the Eastern Front are usually quite popular.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Can't be sure but it looks sounds like HYWASLComp will be out before F&IASL Comp ( French and Indian War ASL), which is also in playtest.

If you look at it from the design point of view, it really shouldn't be hard to design backwards. Outline the ASL sequence of play, identify the level of command for the time period, identify melee techniques, types of ranged weapons from darts to trebuchets, strip away procedures for World War 2 weapons, identify types of melee....rush, shield wall, Parthian shot, phalanx rush etc. Establish procedures for executing these Figure out appropriate drms, map the battlefield, you're golden. Its already been done for Gettysburg, Tet, and Villiers Bocage. :) Why not for Sartoga, Sarjevo, and Manzikert?

Last edited:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
The soon to be released set is generic. The Gettysburg series released a few years ago is HASL.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The soon to be released set is generic.

what little interest I might have had in this Larry went down the tubes there. Now a historical based product might have had some interest, take on something like Les Tourelles with a smokin' map to boot and I might have been sorely tempted.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm a bit concerned. My interest lies in the Wars of Indepenace but thats some 100 years before the HYWASL covers. Will I be able to use the system to play these? What of the schiltrom and soft ground? These are crucial to the battles I wish to play.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
And that's the joy of terrain analysis. Prior to 1880 there are Flagstone roads, cobblestone roads, and some brick roads. Terrain itself changes very little. We are far enough away from those days that we have to rediscover the elements of maneuver. Charging across a field and engaging a line of men standing up to receive your charge..or impale it. Morale is more brittle on both sides. Possession of a banner on the battlefield (hence flagbearers in CWATS) or sight of a commander still on his horse (even if he's propped up by a board like El Cid during his last battle in Spain) become important in portraying morale effects in ASL in earlier eras.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So now I am getting complaints that this is not about CH and should not be in this folder.

It is not about ASL and it does not belong in any of those folders either.

There is no Mindless Drivel folder, so into Off Topic Discussion it goes.....

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Its about CH's ASLComp lines expansion further into the black powder (ACW is already in players hands and is expanding) F&IW, and pre-Gunpowder eras.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done. I suppose one could design a tactical combat game using the Chutes and Ladders system but I doubt it would be a good idea.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
It all comes down to how well the designer crafts the illusion of realism...I've been repeatedly playing and studying the first day at Staumont Belgium. There are some reports from the battle, and the regimental history of thec 119th in World War 2. You can generate an approximation of the order of battle for the third Battalion ( which lost that day) and a good approximation of Peiper's forces on that day. You have to take the Regimental history with a grain of salt, cause its made up of anecdotal impressions from men who were more interested in staying alive than in events. If you could produce an accurate map of the lanes and buildings in the village (almost possible) and populate it with the full order of battle for both sides, you'd have a thoroughly unplayable game. The designer has to slice things down to a representative sample of the action. And then play it out at least 6 times to see if there is a reasonable chance of the historical outcome occurring.
Most of this applies just as well to the black powder era. Command elements are different, and activation must be by larger formations than a world war 2 squad, but battlefield portrayal is actually improved in earlier eras. The modern world drops out and actual topography surfaces.
In the HYW era topography is even more important, SWs will be longbows and crossbows, and the damage will depend on whether their human targets are armored or unarmored. Melee might well include French Poodles, which were bred as war dogs and trained to rip out the throats of peasants! Line of sight and line of sound will be important in leadership.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
whew... yeah Larry. Perhaps one can model this conflict with ASL, but unlike the ACW, this isn't just a few tweaks or dropping large sections of ww2 weapon system rules. This one seems to scream more a new system rather than trying to pound the round ASL rules in a square hole of, for all intents and purposes, a HtH/CC type of D&D (sword and mail) combat. I could see the ACW working in a ASL framework, not this though.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
All I know is design work is underway, and the art is being finalized as playtesting continues for the Agincourt 1415 release. I agree that black powder era is an easier project. I'm hoping F&IASL goes to Saratoga, where Benedict Arnold !!!! saved a nascent United States from defeat.