Hybrid tournament, FTF and VASL. Any interest in such an event.

Would you participate in a hybrid ASL event?combining ftf and virtual play

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
In the Albany thread I just posted the question to Steve if he had considered running a virtual event in tandem with the ftf Albany. I got to wondering what the interest, drawbacks, downside and upside would be for such an undertaking. What do you think.

I would think there are several possible hybrids. Ftf plays only ftf while virtual plays only virtual. Ftf player can play virtual player. I don't know how that would work. Appreciate any input.

Of course the TD would have to be willing to take on the extra work and hassle.

I'll start a poll but seeing as the last few I've started haven't covered all the options I'll apologize in advance for my lack of clarity and completeness. ?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Steve replied to my query and thought it would be problematic as he barely has enough time to run the ftf event. I can see where a hybrid event would significantly increase the burden on the TDs.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It would be a nightmare for the director.
Some players want to play FtF as that's why they have come. Personally, I don't mind either but would feel cheated if more than 50% of my gsmes were vasl when I attended in person.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It would be a nightmare for the director.
Some players want to play FtF as that's why they have come. Personally, I don't mind either but would feel cheated if more than 50% of my gsmes were vasl when I attended in person.
Thanks for the input. I agree with you about it being a nightmare for the TD, especially if he was running the event solo. Sometimes at night these ideas pop into my brain and I wake up the next morning to see that I started another thread. ???

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I thought about a hybrid format whereby the first round would be virtual and a kind of qualifier while the rest of the event would take place in FtF format so that more time could be allocated to the FtF games. The problem with that approach is that people losing round 1 would be more likely not to come to the physical event, which would be a pity.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I thought about a hybrid format whereby the first round would be virtual and a kind of qualifier while the rest of the event would take place in FtF format so that more time could be allocated to the FtF games. The problem with that approach is that people losing round 1 would be more likely not to come to the physical event, which would be a pity.
Thanks for the input. It seems that great minds do think alike. ????

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I could see circumstances where the final might be started live and then continued virtually. If you are pressed for time then maybe you could delay the conclusion to allow time for play. This would be less than ideal though for the competition.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I could see circumstances where the final might be started live and then continued virtually. If you are pressed for time then maybe you could delay the conclusion to allow time for play. This would be less than ideal though for the competition.
Interesting idea. Keep them coming.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Usually TDs like to distribute prizes in front of all participants, which is a nice concluding act for the event. Staggered game endings would go in the way.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Usually TDs like to distribute prizes in front of all participants, which is a nice concluding act for the event. Staggered game endings would go in the way.
We had to do this last year at Bounding Fire Blackpool and you are quite correct. It's a thorough pain in the arse. No prize giving. And then the utter irritation of having to get the prizes to the winning player.

It won't be happening again at BFB. I shouldn't have fallen for Craig Benn's silvery tongued whisperings. We should have called it as prescribed. Grrr

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We had to do this last year at Bounding Fire Blackpool and you are quite correct. It's a thorough pain in the arse. No prize giving. And then the utter irritation of having to get the prizes to the winning player.

It won't be happening again at BFB. I shouldn't have fallen for Craig Benn's silvery tongued whisperings. We should have called it as prescribed. Grrr
Sounds like Craig Benn is Grima Wormtongue :)

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the benefits of a hybrid tourney would come from the ability to have everyone at the site, but have some playing FTF in the room and others playing VASL from their rooms. This would allow for more social distancing and overcome capacity constraints. Those that are extremely adverse to VASL would be able to participate as would those who want to stay far from the rest of humanity.

My 2 cents.

Rob

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think the benefits of a hybrid tourney would come from the ability to have everyone at the site, but have some playing FTF in the room and others playing VASL from their rooms. This would allow for more social distancing and overcome capacity constraints. Those that are extremely adverse to VASL would be able to participate as would those who want to stay far from the rest of humanity.

My 2 cents.

Rob
Thanks for the input. Though I probably won't participate in or attend any events, ftf or VASL, I do retain a keen interest in them.?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're thinking too small. Make it a true ASL Pentathlon:
  • FTF
  • VASL
  • Chili cookoff
  • Football pick'em
  • Cornhole
Now THAT'S a party!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You're thinking too small. Make it a true ASL Pentathlon:
  • FTF
  • VASL
  • Chili cookoff
  • Football pick'em
  • Cornhole
Now THAT'S a party!
I like the way you think!! Add a sauna and it would be completely over the top!!??????

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Steve replied to my query and thought it would be problematic as he barely has enough time to run the ftf event. I can see where a hybrid event would significantly increase the burden on the TDs.
It would change NOTHING.
Only need a computer and a screen for a "KIOSK" game.
It might actually play faster.

For the players that can't make the trip.

Pretty simple really...
With zoom etc...the participants can always be there...just don't use that SKYPE Shit...LOL

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
IF they were scheduled to end at a particular time...why would it matter if its virtual or actual?
Time doesn't change.
Just announce via ZOOM with everyone's BEAUTIFUL FACES together....
Hell you could hire some hot strippers to make them attend.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
IF they were scheduled to end at a particular time...why would it matter if its virtual or actual?
Time doesn't change.
Just announce via ZOOM with everyone's BEAUTIFUL FACES together....
Hell you could hire some hot strippers to make them attend.
Could we have the strippers in the sauna? ???