Hungary - question to Mark S.

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Mark, I hope you still remember :bite:

If / when the Soviets occupy Budapest there is 25% chance the Hungarian units will not withdraw. Is this bug or feature?

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Deliberate, as some Hungarian forces chose to fight on even after Belgrade fell (unlike, say the Belgians and Brussels). I know it would be possible to withdraw some units and not others following the occupation of Belgrade, but Hungary isn't a major power and a random all-or-nothing seemed sensible at the time we designed it. By the time the capital's lost there probably won't be much of the Hungarian army left anyway, so it shouldn't be a decisive result either way. If someone wanted to alter it so that units surrender or not according to what they did historically it would be perfectly reasonable, but involve more work for little gain.

trotsky1917

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Deliberate, as some Hungarian forces chose to fight on even after Belgrade fell (unlike, say the Belgians and Brussels). I know it would be possible to withdraw some units and not others following the occupation of Belgrade, but Hungary isn't a major power and a random all-or-nothing seemed sensible at the time we designed it. By the time the capital's lost there probably won't be much of the Hungarian army left anyway, so it shouldn't be a decisive result either way. If someone wanted to alter it so that units surrender or not according to what they did historically it would be perfectly reasonable, but involve more work for little gain.

Surely you mean Budapest.

Hungary had a fascist[or at least extreme right] regime, from the early thirties, so as well as survival, [some of] the Hungarians may have been ideologically driven. And they probably knew the extent of the soviet civilian losses in the earlier years, and knew that they were doomed. The Belgians and the Dutch did not have the same expectations...

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Thanks for reply and agree with you. No changes required. Perhaps just a small in the briefing.