Hungarian Patrol

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well.. It's been some time since I last played any Combat Mission games. (Almost a year I'd gather.) Anyways, I loaded them up onto my computer to see if they worked with Vista and all that, and much to my surprise they did! So I created a scenario in CMBB and tinkered around a bit since I spent most of my time with Afrika Korps. That was before my old computer, which held all of my previous CM work, got wiped out by a virus. So below, is a brief AAR of me play testing my new scenario/time- killing fun.

It's called Hungarian Patrol. The idea is that you command about a battalion's worth of Hungarian security forces who are given the job of ejecting Russian infantry from two towns, Ryzhov and Proshin (named after two Russian generals I read about in this book). The Hungarian force is composed of 2 infantry companies and a mechanized company as well as 2 Souma platoons crewed by Germans.

Some of the pictures didn't load so below is what came through:

The map
View attachment 32246

Ryhzov (Proshin's pic didn't load but so far I've only fought around Ryhzov so maybe later? :crosseye:)
View attachment 32247

The Hungarian starting positions. The green and yellow are occupied by 1 company each (infantry). A platoon of the company in the yellow area occupy a few houses by the bridge. The Soumas are easily spotted on the lower right behind the green company.
View attachment 32248

The Soumas
View attachment 32251

My infantry cross down through the dried river bed as advancing over the bridge looks like suicide
View attachment 32250

How things are going by T18, you can also see all of the starting units for the Hungarians in this shot as well. So far I think things are going well though I might change the Soumas for armoured cars. I forget which one it was but those seemed to fit the map a little better in the first version. I think those, coupled with the 2nd Souma platoon coming in as reinforcements might work better.
View attachment 32249

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I created a brief video showing the first 18-19 turns of the scenario. It's not very good as it's my first video ever made using the movie maker. Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys it!
[video=youtube;BgzGrOf3aPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgzGrOf3aPM[/video]

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the video & effort there!

For some reference points can you add an overhead map showing your movement paths, suspected enemy locations, objectives & highlighting some of the units at the center of the action!

It's more work but it's for a good cause-us! :D

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad you liked it! I was inspired by that Escoville Triangle video AAR airBiscuit did a while back.

And yeah I'll get to that! It was a very quick write up and all that. I'll do some detail right now and post it along with my thoughts on my playtest. And don't worry, I'm currently volunteering as an archivist at a local museum, I love the tedious stuff ;)

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As per request I went through and edited my pictures to outline:
movement paths, suspected enemy locations, objectives & highlighting some of the units at the center of the action!
P.S. I may be quite rusty at this so pardon any confusions that may crop up.

This picture shows the general dispositions of the units on the map and reinforcement entry points. Originally, all the Hungarian units started out where the Green Set-up Zone is:
Red= Enemy Positions; Red Arrows= Russian Reinforcements; Light Blue Circles= Objective Flags; Orange Circles= Hungarian Units in Padlock; Yellow Circles= 1st Hungarian Company Positions; Green Circle= 2nd Hungarian Company; Black Arrow= Hungarian Reinforcements
View attachment 32270

Here the orange and yellow units provide cover fire. The different green dots and lines show the main actions of Green Company. I discovered in an earlier playtest that the area where you see all the jumbled colors provided the best position for crossing the dried river bed (as seen by the two brown almost parallel lines). They built up there and attacked across the open ground after the Russians in the 3 red circles were pinned or evicted from their positions.
View attachment 32272

This shows the various movements of the Souma tanks. The dark orange numbers depict, 1) The initial movement and plan to advance the lead tank up the road (an armored car had its gun damaged by an AT gun going up the same road but not a shot fired so far in this build), 2) The new plan his it change position to provide enfilading fire along the Russian positions, 3) Shows the next phase as it was ordered to provide close support for the infantry that crossed the dried river bed.
View attachment 32268

Current positions: The red line at the top shows the first Russian reinforcements that are just sitting there and facing the inner part of the map (a T70 plt.). The dark bluish line in the middle is a plt. from the yellow company assigned to watch the road just in case Russians come along to flank the attackers. The 3 long skinny lines portray future Souma movements toward the bridge. The lines with "I" show one phase where another Souma will move across to support the infantry, meanwhile one platoon will clear out the scattered trees and in "II" it will clear out the woods. The Yellow flower-like things show where 75pdr. arty dropped in Ryzhov's center while the initial crossing happened.
View attachment 32269

This shows the overall plans. The black line however, shows the route the mechanized infantry reinforcements will take. The plan here is to rush them by the forces attacking Ryzhov and head for Proshin and set up a make shift defense before Russian reinforcements build up and counterattack. You can see where the Green and Yellow companies will move to support Black company's advance.
View attachment 32271

And the plan for taking Proshin and defending it from counterattack. The black line breaking off to the left is where a platoon will clear out the church. It also includes Green Company's future positions as well, which shows them occupying heights inside the woods. (And looking at this... I might have to expand the map North a little more to provide room for Russian reinforcements. :hmmm:)
View attachment 32274

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And some action shots that were obviously missing from the first post:

Proshin
View attachment 32275

Soumas advance in support of the infantry (spotted in the wheat field)
View attachment 32280

A Souma fires to suppress Russians in the houses across the way. (First shot of the battle)
View attachment 32277

Arty (75pdr.) falls on Ryzhov while the Hungarians prepare to assault the Russian held side of the dried up river bed. The smoke is from a Souma firing at another house to pin-kill-or clear it of Russians possibly hiding there.
View attachment 32278

The lead platoon has successfully made it across while the next platoon prepares to cross. Several Soumas are also visibly providing cover. (The two at the bottom are on top of a small hill.)
View attachment 32279

The other company provides overwatch/covering fire as their sister company conducts their assault way off to their left.
View attachment 32276

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well things aren't going tooo hot. My attack on Ryzhov stalled even though I've essentially taken the woods overlooking the town. I've also destroyed 2 buildings and burned the Russians out of another yet due to some casualties along the road I secured. This caused me to shift another platoon to the woods leaving only one platoon to support the 2 Soumas. Meanwhile AT gunners plink away at their front armor whilst the culprit has yet to be spotted.

The reinforcements finally arrived and began their assault on Proshin. Two mechanized infantry platoons supported by three Soumas raced by the fighting at Ryzhov and headed for Proshin as planned. The covering fire was excellent, Russians on the outskirt of Ryzhov took a pummeling as the reinforcements zoomed by. Yet... the attack went in piecemeal... Why? Well.. due to some bad plotting on my end. The attack on the church was blunted while the platoon that was to support their flank facing in toward Proshin had several setbacks and is on verge of failing altogether.

I'll provide the pictures later but for now, here is a video of the initial assault into Proshin:
[video=youtube;4Be3smmg_6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Be3smmg_6g[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Brit... I haven't touched the scenario in a loooong time. School and many other things have gotten in the way since then so I can't really say. However, I was smart enough to put together a long video (almost 12 minutes long) of the scenario which I posted below. I hope you like it... It's like the others, a mix of pictures and gameplay video.

[video=youtube;ndwBXdsYGDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndwBXdsYGDQ[/video]